Fabia front brake slider problem

Hi Guys

I went to do my sisters front pads tonight and i have found a problem which i hope there is a easy solution for

I un screwed the 2 brake sliders they came out with no problem but when i went to put them back in they won't tighten

It seems like the thread in the hub has disintegrated has anybody had this issue

Is there a easy fix or is it a new hub

thanks guys

the car is a 2001 fabia tdi 100 pd

Are you sure that it is not just due to you not fitting the fist back in right - it has a small sticky out bit near the bottom! I'd think that if you managed to unscrew the guide bolts in the first place then the carrier threads would be okay.

If it was the small sticky out bit, then just ease the fist out and try to fit it back into the carrier by moving the lower end in first so that the tang bit gets into where it should be, then move the upper end in - that should allow the guide bolts to line up with the fixing holes.

I was going to add, if necessary just replace the mounting brackets - but in that car, as you said, its the hub!! So if your prognosis is correct, this could be something I will find when I change the discs and pads on my wife's Polo - another reason for hoping that your wrong!

Edited by rum4mo

Brian, will the sliders (caliper bolts or whatever) slide right home as if they were tightened, or do they stop as soon as the threading makes contact with the carrier? If the thread has actually "collapsed" (we normally call it stripped) then they'll push home; otherwise I think rum is correct and you've misaligned something so they're not actually reaching the tapped thread to screw up.

Hi Ken

they came out ok but you can just push then in now it looks like the thread have stripped

and it seems like i will now have to find a new hub or try and re cut the threads but probably best with another hub

Hi Ken

they came out ok but you can just push then in now it looks like the thread have stripped

and it seems like i will now have to find a new hub or try and re cut the threads but probably best with another hub

I'm assuming by now you have tried refitting the guide bolts with the calliper still off the car and discovered that the hub is truely faulty. What I find strange is that you managed the difficult bit - removing the guide bolts while they were plastered with brake dust etc and probably not too free in the guide bushes, but found the holes stripped when you went to refit them - that is strange! Remember these guide bolts just tighten down and go tight when they reach the end of their threaded section - they are just guides that screw into the hub.

yes its a strange one

The brakes were making a squealing noise about 3 months ago so i had taken them off and cleaned them and put them back on and the noise went away

when i had them off i noticed they would be needing changed in the near future

So this was what i was doing

i took the disc off also to have a better look because i could not get how it stripped

if you put the slider in from the right size it just wobbles in the hole

anyway off to the breakers tomorrow for another hub

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

i too have just met the threaded hub scenario, it seems that the calliper sliding pegs wont screw back into the hub because the threads have indeed disintegrated, the quality of the hub does not look good to be honest and given the correct torque values always being used with adequate lubrication and cleaning of the part in the past, is an indication of poor manufacture.

The question is, is there a work around, such as rethreading the hub? If not it will require two new hubs, very, very poor indeed.

I think rum has got the best workaround/answer fit the bottom bolt first then swing the caliper up and fit the top one. It's a right pain, I did my sister's recently and took the bolt out quite obviously not centered... the owner previous to her had fitted the bolts off at an angle and 'forgotten' to mention it. Of course, when I went to put it back in it was stripped. New hub time....

One fix is to change the hubs and calipers for something with a better track record, can be a bit costly though.