Tyre Choice

owlets

Having run Pirelli PZero Rosso and Goodyear F1 GSD3 IMHO is would choose the Pirellis for their wet conditions performance.

Both are very good in the dry with perhaps the F1s shading it but car felt much more surefooted in the wet on the Pirellis.

Did try to get some Kumhos but apparently you can't get them, well Micheldever can't, with the XL load rating.

Can I get a definitive answer to the size issue please.

I run the standard aloys on 205/50/17 Proxes T1-S.

I asked the local tyre dealer about putting on 225/45/17 and he said "NO WAY JOSE"

He said it would invalidate my insurance and all sorts of other nasties.

Any comments?

BTW the Proxes T1-S are excellent as are Bridgestone Potenza RE-040

Cheers

Matty

I asked the local tyre dealer about putting on 225/45/17 and he said "NO WAY JOSE"

Any comments?

BTW the Proxes T1-S are excellent as are Bridgestone Potenza RE-040

Cheers

Matty

I think most insurance companies will say it'll make no difference to your premium however, ask them to be sure.

Any comments?

Yes - total *******s. My Skoda dealer and local tyre place both agree no problem fitting 225/45/17. Your local tyre dealer was just too lazy - they're a little bit harder to fit on the rims.

Toyo T1-S are also popular (also cheaper but wear quicker).

I had Toyos Proxes T1-S on mine for a while and initially was well impressed with them. Now I've got Kumho KU-19s, just as good in the dry, better in the wet, longer lasting (I only got 10,000 miles out of the front Toyos, that was down to 0mm tread, my Kumhos are on 7,000 miles with about 4mm left)

I can confirm the Bridgestone Potenzas are excellent (driven a Lexus with them on), dunno how long they last or how much they cost though.

Boyced - not yet. Can see differences in tread pattern etc but not gonhe very far or very quickly yet.

Usually take the 1st week or 2 easily to get the tyres through some heat cycles and let them stabalise anyways.

The GSD2's were an excellent tyre - far surpassing my expectations in terms of grip and tyre wear so Im hoping the GSD3s are similar. Anyone else gone from 2s to 3s?

Paul..

• 8 months later...
long since discontinued due to European leglislation.F1s nearest to them in spirit,imo

Just talking to a chap not 5 mins ago.He has a mazda RX8.He was saying he has just paid