Cleaning throttle body - 1.8T engine

Did this today - took about 30mins maximum.

It probably didnt need a new Gasket to be honest, could have just cleaned up the old one, but for £1.76 from TPS i cant grumble.

Very straight forward to carry out, even for a relative novice like myself, my advice with regards to removing the bolts from the throttle body would be to use an allen key. I tried using a ratchet driver initially and it was quite awkward.

Took the car out for a quick thrash along a nearby B Road afterwards and it felt much less "boggy" in 1st/2nd gear at low revs.

Thanks for the excellent guide :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great and spot on guide, did this myself today, wasn't horrifically gunked up but there was lots of black crap in there. I have registered vcds lite so I did the alignment anyway and have noticed a marked improvement. A surprising improvement actually.

• 1 month later...
What about if I disconnect the car battery before I unplug the plug from the throttle body? And conect the battery after I finish all the cleaning and connecting the plug.

Isaac

Well after deliberating on this for sometime, and having issues removing throttle bodies on Favorits and Felicias with the battery connected, I disconnected the battery before removing any of the wires. Took off the Throttle body cleaned it out with brake cleaner and re-fitted. Then reconnected the battery and hey presto, its now transformed the car completely. 17705 fault code has now vanished. This fault seemed to be recorded if I didn't allow the car to warm up in the mornings.

So basically if you disconnect the battery and obviously don't attempt to move the choke flap then there is no need to reset the TB.

• 2 months later...

Brilliant guide thank you. I've just done mine (54 plate octavia vrs) it's got 58,000 miles so I almost left it but I had a spare bit of time. Glad I did it was badly carbonised! Looks so much better now and I'm about to go for a drive to hopefully feel the difference.

Big thumbs up.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this to mine yesterday, car is up to 75k and had a nice black ring where the butterfly sits... Made the world of difference so much so that I actually managed to stall it for the first time lol. Stopped the stuttering and boost spikes when cold and low rpm so well worth the 5 mins, brilliant guide :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but i'm getting a bit of hesitation in second gear mainly somwhere around and above 2500rpm and yesterday it gave me a complete flat spot (no acceleration at all) for a few seconds with no engine management light coming on i assumed it was down to a dirty air filter (replacing this week) and probably either the MAF or coilpacks Could the TB be also worth checking then??

:think:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When I cleaned my throttle body out I took the entire thing off and pushed the butterfly part with a bit of force so I could clean all around it, is this not good as I see the OP said to have a helping hand with someone to press the accelerator peddle to open it?  Also, I did not replace the gasket on mine, is this really needed?  All is good with my car but she is a bit jerky at low speeds since I cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs.

Andy ap, you seem to be having exactly the same problem as me! Let me know how you get on and if you need to swap ideas!

Yeah it did help a treat it instantly went away. However when i did do it there was a bit of oil in the pipe leading from the intercooler.

A few months later the problem seems to of reapeared a little so i think i need to get my intercooler off and give that a blast out too.

Yeah it did help a treat it instantly went away. However when i did do it there was a bit of oil in the pipe leading from the intercooler.

A few months later the problem seems to of reapeared a little so i think i need to get my intercooler off and give that a blast out too.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/115290-cleaning-intercooler-mk1-octavia-vrs/

Just had a read, Superb guide thank you. I'll have a crack at that when i eventually get a spare weekend.

Although i wasn't expecting to have to remove the bumper  :(.  While im at it would preventative maintenance replacing the radiator bushes be wise? Apparently a common failing?

Edited by Andy ap

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a read, Superb guide thank you. I'll have a crack at that when i eventually get a spare weekend.

Although i wasn't expecting to have to remove the bumper  :(.  While im at it would preventative maintenance replacing the radiator bushes be wise? Apparently a common failing?

Up to you, can't say I ever had any problem with the radiator bushes on mine and I got rid of it with over 140k on the clock.

Konde - no idea about the Mk2 but to be honest any car which vents the crankcase vapours to the inlet pipework (most cars these days) benefits from having the TB cleaned once in a while as over time the oily deposits get cooked onto the inside of the throttle body and inlet manifold.

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

• 3 months later...

Just done mine - brilliant guide, thanks.

No markings on the old or new gasket though and by the time I'd taken the old one out I'd lost the 'textured' side (not that one side felt massively more textured than the other), so popped it in and hope for the best. 

What's the worst that can happen...?  :S

• 3 months later...