Would a remapped vRS have trouble with....

pbirkett

I want to know if a remapped Fabia vRS would have difficulty passing an emmissions test come MOT time?

When I followed my mate a while back in his chipped Ibiza TDI sport it belched out a lot of smoke, which was amusing, but will it make it harder to pass emmissions tests when the time is due for its MOT.

I want to know because I likely will chip it, and will probably keep it for a long time.

MOT measures particulate emissions, I believe, rather than any particular gases like the petrol equivalent, so I would think there's a strong chance it would fail if it was very smoggy. We ended up turning the fueling up for every day and down for MOT tests on the Disco as we were advised that it wouldn't pass, but hopefully there is someone on here with experience :D Btw, you still have 2 years til MOT don't you? ;)

Chris

They check diesels with a smoke meter, so it might be worth taking slipping a few quid to an MOT test centre to check that it's alright once you've had the work done.

A decent chip shouldn't generate that much smoke anyway, as it's just poorly combusted fuel...

Rob.

Glad to see that you seem a bit more content with it now Paul! It's the best car I've ever had in 36 yrs of driving.

That combined with the money I've already spent on it and the positively overwhelming enthusiasm from people that look at it will mean I shall be keeping it for some considerable time!

Due for it's 10k service soon,with NO problems to report apart from me breaking the cool box lid with my shin 'cus I'd left it open :rolleyes:

When I was at Ty Croes 2 weeks ago, other competitors kept coming over awe struck as to how quick it was!...apart from a certain BMW mini cooper s works driver! :Dnowt to do with my driving skills mind!

It's a truly great car unmodified, just wait until you've had it re-mapped! :thumbup:

Glad to see that you seem a bit more content with it now Paul! It's the best car I've ever had in 36 yrs of driving.

That combined with the money I've already spent on it and the positively overwhelming enthusiasm from people that look at it will mean I shall be keeping it for some considerable time!

Yeah, I am content with it now and I do love the car. I always have these doubts, not just about cars but other things too, not that I will go into it :)

The car is good as standard, but sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more go I think.

Despite the criticisms of its handling and brakes, I dont find all that much wrong with those particular aspects - in fact it could be my imagination, but I feel the suspension is actually slightly better now, as it seems to have firmed up a bit... is it placebo? I dont know, but I've got no complaints. It feels fast and fun around the twisties, maybe its not up there with the hottest hatches, but it delivers fun by the boatload IMO :thumbup:

One scenario where a chip which allowed you to store a standard and a modded map would be very useful ;)

Chris

Revo SPS 1. Expensive yes, but quite stunning when you switch it back to 'stock' and then back to performance again. NOT KNOCKING ALTERNATIVES PLEASE NOTE!

May help at MOT time too I guess, to answer your question Paul.

My AMD one click allows me to change between the standard 130bhp unmodified ecu and a 170+bhp modified ecu at a click of a button. (and back again upto a million times).

Thus allowing me to switch it back to standard for services and mots etc.

At

;) As an MOT tester the dirty diesels will have no problems at MOT time if they are given a good "ragging" to the governer just before testing:eek: imho, most diesels fail the smoke test because they are not "ragged" enough, thus a build up of "particulates" occur....as the MOT smoke test is up to 6 full throttle applications any "particulates" then come flying out and get measured by the meter..

:D A can of diesel stop smoke or similar works wonders about 20 miles before the test, if you get my jist...:rolleyes:

:thumbup: Phil

Have you tried a 'smart box' add it to your car get the boost' date=' come

MOT take it off and the car is back to normal.[/quote']

I have one of these on mine and even with it on there is no noticeable smoke out the back! :eek: I guess my car is just regularly ragged so the particulates don't get a chance to build up ;):rofl:

Chris

Diesels get most of their power from torque so they dont need to rev like a Petrol engine to be quick, they are just quick!

I believe the MOT test on a diesel is done at full revs & most chipped/mapped diesels run clean at high revs, they only tend to smoke at lower revs on full throttle where loads of fuel is being thrown in & this if its a major problem can be mapped out, also if driven gently most of the time deposits build up in the engine making the problem worse. we recently spend a couple of weeks on holiday with the Octy driving in relaxed mood with friends & the car after 2000 ish miles was getting a bit smokey but a good thrash cleared it so a good ragging once in a while & a good thrash before the MOT is always a good idea, also get to the MOT just in time so its all still hot

Paul,

I've noticed a difference with the one click fitted. Slightly quicker off the mark, a big increase in mid range power (2000 rpm) all the way up to 4000-4500rpm. 5th gear seems to pull better, as does 6th. And the top end has increased slightly (indicates 140+mph).

There is slightly more smoke under heavy acceleration - but no way near as much as a tuning box (I had one of these, and they're not a patch on the one click).

Also AMD will upgrade it with a full rolling road set up for