High Miles 57 reg vRS Diesel - Fair Price

my mate is looking at the above vRS...& came to me asking if he was getting a decent deal (he's not much into cars...& I am - when I get time !) He obviously likes mine...as I've got a petrol in the same colour ! It's got 36k on the clock...it doesn't seem to have too much in the way of extra's - except the met paint & rev sensors? He probably won't trade in his existing car, so the £500 he has knocked off the screen price of £12.5k doesn't seem that generous...

given the current market for cars,

the recent facelift to the Octavia,

the mileage on it &

the amount of this model around now.

I appreciate it depends on the condition, how it drives etc..but in general does £12k sound fair...I think it sounds ok - having had a quick lookaround, but feel given the reasons above, there must be some more scope for a bit more discount...somewhere in the region of £11.5 would probably clinch it, if it was me?!?

I paid 12k just over a month ago for an 08 plate vRS TDI in mint condition, race blue, 21k miles, but it had xenons, auto lights, auto dimming mirrors and cruise in addition to the parking sensors. I feel I probably paid 500 quid too much, but the above options were really important too me and nearly all the other cars around at the time were poverty spec or several thousand more. Oh and I was able to use my car in part ex, even though it was a private deal, so I didn't have the hassle of having my old car sat about and plugging it in Auto Trader etc.

I'd be looking to pay 11k for the car you described. There are plenty of vRS TDIs around in standard spec or standard plus rear parking sensors so I think he should shop around.

Well...seems they don't want to sell cars up here !!! my mate went back...fully intending to tie up a deal...& got some real flannel about how they'd had to fit new pads & discs + 2 tyres, so if they discounted the car any further (than the £500) off the screen price, they'd lose money.They offered the next service FOC, but no tax etc !

I've told him to walk away, there are plenty of (lower miles) cars out there as you say. Wouldn't be surprised if the garage came back to him...& he'd deal, if they offer a bit more off.

I hope it's still sitting there in a few weeks time...

My previous vRS TDI Estate was a 57 plate with 30000 on the clock, usual extras plus cruise. It's on sale at the dealers we traded it in to at £12600. That said it's been there since 1st March so no one has bitten their hands off yet!

Well I got the first vRS TDI delivered in the country, its a 56 plate (3rd Sept 2006) with 71,000 miles on the clock, its got a few stone chips due to lots of motorway journeys and if I could get £8k for it I would be exstatic, its got a full service history, 18" wheels, Jumbo box etc.

So 12K for 36,000 seems reasonable.

Dwain

I bought a 2007 Met Blue VRs Estate, Xenons, Cruise, Elecs all round, Rev sensors, 1 owner (VAG), 8500 miles ( I like low miles, nearly new. Not bothered about year ), Columbus, Jumbo including AUX, 18 inch wheels, Matrix display, for £12500 four months ago in near mint condition, just a couple of scuffs.

Used prices have recovered slightly in the last month or so, but not enough to make that deal sound good. Maybe for the estate with lots of toys but not the hatch as per What car valuations

Did a good thing to walk away. It's a funny market generally, no-one is prepared to pay much for 2nd hand cars, but expect a good offer come trade-in time.

5 months ago I paid a little over 12k for vRS TDi on an 07 plate. 33,000 miles. 18" zeniths, jumbo box with rear lecky windows and thats about it.:rolleyes: but more than happy with the car. :D

Well the deal was done last night, he effectively managed to knock a grand off the screen price with a major service to be done before the car is picked up. I had a look at it last night & with a few minor scratches & scuffs repaired, I reckon he has got a pretty decent car for reasonable money.

It worked out pretty much as expected - the salesman called him back & offered a better deal...so by the time we'd got there, it was as good as deal done.

Scary thing is, I found myself checking out the Limited Ed model (nice seats - shame about the wheels - IMHO!) & also the Superb in the showroom...boy it looks one heck of a car for the money & hopefully even better used...if I do ever decide to change !

Anyway, thanks for your input on this one !

I have just paid £10.5K for a Mar 07 Diesel with 33K Miles on it so £12K is way over IMHO.

That sounds a very good buy, depending on its spec. The cheapest vrs tdi I can find at the moment with 18" wheels, dual zone, jumbo box and cruise (my min spec) is £12000 on a march 07. Any newer ones are mostly a grand more than that. o8 ones seem to be up at more than £13000 at the moment. Where did you find this? I was told that on a second hand car, there would be no more than £500 discount in it, so is doing beter than this unreasonable? Any help on finding a good 08 would be very appreciated:thumbup:

He got it from Spec Cars in Aberdeen...& is an unusually good deal for up here...but we did have to work a little for it. I'd initially aim for a minimum of 10% off & work back from there...in this case he got about 7% cash off (but if you include the big service which will be thrown in...it was over 9% !) A very decent result.

(They do have an 08 plate in Silver, but from memory it was £15k !)

It just shows that there are deals out there to be had,if you are prepared to haggle...I just wouldn't buy a car (or many other things) without doing so !

I have another mate who flew down to Birmingham at the weekend to pick up a 57 plate Audi Avant - reckons he saved over £3000 on the cheapest comparable one he could find up here.

Haggle...haggle...haggle !!!