Grating Noise When Turning

I have a Fabia 3 1.9 TDI with 205 by 45 by 16" Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres. When I turn the steering wheel both left and right, I can hear a grating noise from the front wheels. The garage have had the car on 2 separate occasions but said they could find no fault with the steering or suspension.

I think the noise could be coming from the tyres but am not sure. Has anybody else come across this problem and, if so, what was the cause and how was it fixed? Thank you

My Fabia vRS had a slight grating noise at low speed from the OSF wheel, and no-one ever found what it was, and in never got worse (despite 30k miles), so I ignored it :)

Radial tyres can be quite noisey. The bands inside the tyre creak a bit when rolling slowly on dry road or your driveway. This can be heard also when stressing the tyre during very slow speed turning (creeping into the garage for example and turning the steering at the same time). Just check there is no actual bodily contact/rubbing with the tyre itself.

My Fabia 3 1.9 is being checked on Tues for the second time for grating noise from front end, I will be driving in some scary mountain roads in north east Spain soon ,better safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't having yhis noise before in my Fabia 1.4 but I had that noise now after I had washed my car in a garage and the man washed the wheel housing with a high pressure hose.

I'm waiting for the maintenance appointment to check that.

• 10 months later...

My Fabia 3 1.9TDi (35k miles) has also just started making a grating noise when turning right only, seems fine when turning left. Tyres are the same, Conti Sport Contact 2. It doesn't do it all the time though, it's seems intermittent. Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem?

I have a Fabia 3 1.9 TDI with 205 by 45 by 16" Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres. When I turn the steering wheel both left and right, I can hear a grating noise from the front wheels. The garage have had the car on 2 separate occasions but said they could find no fault with the steering or suspension.

I think the noise could be coming from the tyres but am not sure. Has anybody else come across this problem and, if so, what was the cause and how was it fixed? Thank you

I had exactly the same problem as you're having, with my vRS!

The very first day ,a loud grating noise when turning the wheels.....

The very first night I came back from playing badminton, the car alarm was going off!

The problem in my case was down to the battery being on it's way out and for some strange reason ,the low voltage can affect the power steering pump.

My dealer replaced the battery and the power steering pump( as a precaution ) and the grating disappeared!

Hope this helps :)

Are you guys sure this noise is coming from the tyres?

I am also getting some noise when turning the steering wheel (can only be heard at low speeds) but I have the feeling it is probably some part of the steering system rather than the tyres.

Are you guys sure this noise is coming from the tyres?

I am also getting some noise when turning the steering wheel (can only be heard at low speeds) but I have the feeling it is probably some part of the steering system rather than the tyres.

It's your power steering, trust me :D

Had this twice, it was small stones getting jammed in between the brake caliper and disc. Been over any resurfaced roads recently ?

Fabia is known for it. First time paid them to do it and second fixed it myself. Often manifests itself only when turning due to the slight flexing of the disc. Sounds horrendous sometimes. More lock more noise........

Edited by raisbeck

had the same with my 1.6 /105bhp . but it suddenly disappeared, so... :)

My new 1.6 had the same problem. It only happened when driving slowly up the drive and doing a full left lock.

The garage checked it and put it down to the left wheel boot which I assume had a very rubbery outside and made a scraping noise as the bellow parts touched on full lock.

It gradually faded, although it still does it sometimes, seems to be linked to cold weather.

David

Edited by davidbrownuk

Thanks for the various suggestions. I think a trapped stone sounds most likely. It certainly sounds like a stone or something scraping on something metallic and it only does it on right hand lock. A power steering pump problem would surely be heard no both left and right lock. It is definitely speed related and becomes louder the more lock that is applied. I think it is possible louder first thing in the morning too.

Anyway, I had intended to get the thing up on a jack and take the wheel off for a good look around last weekend, but the noise suddenly stopped. Perhaps the stone has dislodged itself and the car has been fine now for a few days. Watch this space!