Help - weird noise!!!!!!

Hey - i've just done a 250 mile round trip and i've got a weird noise from the front end. It sounds like something is catching on the disc, so jacked up the car, but couldnt find anything catching on anything - no scuff marks - nothing loose etc.

Its definately from the passengers side front. it happens when I go over bumps - especially if i'm travelling less than say 30mph - and also when I turn right.

Could it be ARB bushes? drop links? (I'm using originals on a lowered car - maybe 50mm) Top mounts?

I'm really stumped!

Ok - some more information:-

been out for a drive to and from work. tried with the brakes on and slow right hand corner, noise still there - so not the brakes.

Tried with the car in gear and coasting - no difference

Tried with the car in gear with clutch down and coasting - no difference

Tried the car in neutral coasting - no difference

So it aint the gearbox or the clutch

Is it a noise that I've best been able to describe as a "pibble"? I get a very light tapping noise from the passenger side front wheel area. Mine did it when winding lock on and off whilst stationary, or sometimes at the changeover from acceleration to slowing down or vice-versa. Also get it when going over speed bumps. Recently it does seem reduced though so I'm half wondering if it's a bush because the only thing that seems different is that we've had rain recently and this has lubricated it... Investigation continues!

Did you use new bolts when the top mounts where fitted? Torqued, then angle tightened?

Yep, although I didn't angle tighten them, just followed the Haynes manual and torqued them to whatever it said.

I've jacked the car up and checked the wheel - shoogled the wheel to all 4 points - no bearing movement.

I think that the days where that was the correct pass/fail test on a wheel bearing have long gone - they are cunning little buggars now, its called progress!

Me and somebody else with weitec coils have the same thing

dont know what it is

changed droplinks, brand new top mounts and arb bushes, stops intact

My AP's make quite a racket when wound down, seems to get less if the car is higher. I think it might be due to no helper spring and the spring goes slack.

I think that the days where that was the correct pass/fail test on a wheel bearing have long gone - they are cunning little buggars now, its called progress!

That's all they did when they failed my Polo for a wheel bearing... wobbled it and spun it a few times.

My AP's make quite a racket when wound down, seems to get less if the car is higher. I think it might be due to no helper spring and the spring goes slack.

Yeah, I do get the odd creacking from both sides, this has got less as theyve bed in, but the knocking I;m getting is from one side only and doesnt sound like anything do with the strut.

Ok update:-

Suspension checked, all mounts and bushes checked and greased, new exhaust checked. Nothing is catching on anything.

Then yesterday it did it when i was reversing down my driveway - so I moved it forwards slowly to see if it would do it again - it did it in 1st as well as reverse. So today (seen as its dry) once i got home i got down the drive to where it levels off, got out of the car without the car in gear or the handbrake on and rocked the car forwards and backwards from each side. Its definately at the front of the car. I then tried it in gear and rocked the car backwards and forwards. The engine movement was huge, the engine cover came up and kissed the seat ibiza strut brace. But still the noise was there only a little louder. i wondered if it was issues with the new clutch / gearbox issues??

Oh well - maybe just ignore it until it breaks - nothing you can do about an untraceable noise!