steering not completely straight??

hi all my steering wheel in my fabia mk1 "w" reg 1.4 mpi is just so slightly off if lets say compared to a clock face 9-3 would be a straight wheel, mine is more like 8-2 well maybe not that much but not straight.

i have just had a read of a few of the posts and am a little concerned it might be the infamous pas pump or steering angle sensor, over the last couple of days as i am turning a corner (with my foot on the brakes) the power steering would be gone for a split second it has happened maybe 3 times

any help appreciated ..thanx

Sounds like wheel alignment to me! Go get it checked, should only be about £25-30 and if it is out it will be causing excess tyre wear and compromised handling :p

Edited by DGW
Superfluous quote deleted.

Yea a squint steering wheel is probably because of hitting a pothole or kerb somtime in its life.

Doesn't take much to knock em out.

Get the tracking done and im sure it will be sorted.

If you still have power steering problems afterward, it will be a totally seperate problem, best solved with some diagnostic equiptment.

mine tends to knock itself out - awful roads for potholes and such like around here.As has been said, check stuf like tracking. Last time i had mine done they hadnt seen one that was quite as far out before. oops.

today my friend has jacked it up and had a look and the wishbone bushes arent doing much.. when the car is in 1st or reverse and the handbrake is on, i release the clutch and them bolt in the wishbone bush moves out of the busher by about an inch i bought 2 new bushers but it looks as though someone has tried before and one of the bolts has been rounded off. im not sure if the the 2 problems are linked but i was told to replace a damper (is it?) seal had gone drivers side

it just seems very jolty constantly makes me look like a learner all over again lol

If you lose PAS when both braking and turning , you could be low on power steering fluid. Mine done exactly that about 2 years ago , to top it up you have to remove the battery (IIRC). You may well have a leaking steering rack (that was why i lost all the PAS fluid out of my car) , only fix is a replacement rack , around £700 fitted at a Dealer , maybe less at a VAG indie place.

maybe you can confirm leaking rack?

when i look under the car or through the passenger wheel it has definietely been or is leaking, there are no drops to be seen on the floor If i was to wait a minute or 2... it seams to be very oiled and greasy on the underside of the wishbone arm (only passenger side) and same on the rubber spring looking seal (sry for useless terminology)

Best thing to do would be to book it in somewhere and have it looked at , if the rack isn't bone dry than it has started to leak and you need to get it sorted. I think its an MOT fail as well (but not 100% sure).