1964 Octavia in NZ

A belated update on my classic Octavia. The Coronavirus has really slowed things down, and coupled with TWO moves of garage means I've not really had much chance to do much, although it is still able to run (but not yet stop....) under its own steam (well, petrol!) I'm planning to convert it to negative earth, to permit the future fitting of a decent stereo. The dynamo has been converted by a local experienced auto electrical company and I'll reverse the coil's connections. Beyond that I ought to be O.K.... I've discovered that the temperature gauge isn't really a temperature gauge, as there's no electrical connection whatsoever; it's what's called a tele thermometer, which records the engine temperature and displays it remotely on the dashboard, so it should show the temperature regardless of whether the ignition is on or off. 

The other odd thing is the fuel tank wiring: I can't fathom out why there are two feeds from the gauge to the tank! Every fuel gauge I've ever worked on has a simple feed from the gauge to the tank and the float acts as a variable rheostat, passing less or more current as the level rises and falls. But not the Skoda Octavia...... Has anyone else noticed this? I've attached a wiring diagram, to show what I mean:

Scan.jpeg

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

In appreciate it's a year later, but at last things are on the move, in both senses of the word! The restoration is continuing, although I now need to remove the starter motor, as it's not functioning properly. However, its removal is not quite as simple as one would imagine. 

The workshop manual lists 2 special spanners necessary to undo the nuts required to remove it. I have managed to undo the lower one without these special tools, but the top one is proving impossible. The spanners have the part numbers Ac Eca 897 and 896 in the manual, and an internet search for them has proved unhelpful. The problem is that the nut is tucked in tightly next to the engine block and no socket can go over the nut, as the water pipe's in the way. One really has to wonder at the thinking behind designing something as awkward as this!  

• 3 months later...
On 25/04/2022 at 17:51, Andyroo! said:

The problem is that the nut is tucked in tightly next to the engine block and no socket can go over the nut, as the water pipe's in the way.

Ah got it; try searching for "tool factor" and "obstruction spanner" as terms.