Octy suspension improvement

I have a 2.0tdi Elegance with 17" Pegasus wheels and the 2UC option sports suspension. I bought the car used and am planning on upgrading the shocks to the Koni FSD's to improve the ride but don't want to increase the ride height as currently the car appears jacked up anyway.

I am not convinced the sports pack suspension gives a lower ride compared with conventional suspension. AFAIK factory options available were for both sports suspension or lowered suspension and I seem to have the former.

Does fitting FSD's increases the ride height? If so I would want to fit lowered springs. Does anyone know where I could buy new VRS 2.0Tdi OEM springs as the wheel arch gap on VRS's looks just about perfect to me. I would be keen to know of other members experience of fitting 30mm lowered Eibach springs as have been told this hardens the ride even more, which what I am trying to engineer out.

I was looking at VRS's at a dealership out by Shark_90's way, whilst getting part prices the other day, and I thought the ride height was some what similar to my standard springs, i could fit my fist in and then my fingers ontop of that.

Shark_90 and Damo have both been out in my car with 30mm eibachs on and standard shocks. Although the ride is a little harsher on bigger bumps. Its relatively smooth and a compromised ride.

Most people on the Vauxhall and Skoda forums i've looked at say you cant beat the combination of Koni FSD's and Eibachs for handling and comfort characteristics.

Im running on 225/40/R18 tyre sizes too, and now theres a gap of maybe a inch to an inch and a half between the wheel and the arch.

I hope this helps, if your looking for an idea of what the gap looks like. Then i will post a picture up of the gap on the arches using Eibach 30mm springs.

Thanks for your helpful feedback. Would you say the ride quality was generally more comfortable on motorways than your original set up?

Problem with my suspension is its quite fidgety even on fairy good surfaces, the handling very goof though on B roads. Just need to get the balance right. Sounds Like Eibachs and FSD's should be the answer.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't say before or after it was fidgity, i've noticed with standard shocks and eibachs though if you hit a hard enough bump the car can become quite bouncy. But my shocks are going on for 130K, so that maybe the reason behind it.

I wouldn't say theres a great deal in it to be honest, i feel safer applying the brakes in a harsh manner if someone decides to pull out on me though. I braked hard using the stock springs, it felt as though the front end had hit the deck and the rear wanted to slide out!

The eibachs seem to remove that fear from me.

I've a stock '06 L&K estate, but I have to wait until November before I can fit the FSD's as they are in very short supply, as in unavailable. You might still be able to get them for the hatch. My dampers have only done 76000, but it's time to change, when I can get hold of some.:(

Have you tried Camberley Auto Factors for your FSDs? They are UK agents for KONI and normally carry significant stocks...

Camberley Auto Factors Ltd. Motor factor and distributor of quality motor spares, car spares and car parts.

Yes. several weeks ago. None in stock, due november. same story with all our partners.

Anyone else out there able to shed some light on whether fitting FSD's increases the ride height retaining OEM sports suspension?

Also does anyone know where I could buy new VRS 2.0Tdi OEM springs as the wheel arch gap on VRS's looks just about perfect to me. I don't want to increase ride height more than it is at present, ideally would like to drop it 20-30mm or so.

Anyone else out there able to shed some light on whether fitting FSD's increases the ride height retaining OEM sports suspension?

Also does anyone know where I could buy new VRS 2.0Tdi OEM springs as the wheel arch gap on VRS's looks just about perfect to me. I don't want to increase ride height more than it is at present, ideally would like to drop it 20-30mm or so.

do a search on Bahnstormer_vrs. He did a write up on fitting them to stock springs.

thanks, I did look at Bahnstormers thread but this was based on FSD's on a VRS whereas I'm interested in FSD on a standard 2.0Tdi with sports suspension.. will do another search and see if I can dig up anything.

Ride height is determined by your springs, not by dampers. Fitting FSDs will have no effect on ride height. Better yet, why not have a set of Eibachs fitted at the same time? Perfect 'hunkered down' but not 'slammed' ride height, better handling, and with the FSDs, no detrimental effect on ride quality. You can't go wrong...

Makes sense, the static weight of the car should be carried by the springs not the dampers, but I had seen on a few previous threads that indicated the ride height is slightly raised by fitting Koni FSD's. :confused: Didn't make sense to me either...Thanks..

I've been looking on the interweb for any Koni FSD+Eibach combined deal, but haven't found one yet. Best price i've found separately for the FSD's is £416 + 10 P&P and £140 + £10p&p for Eibach springs.:rolleyes:

I've been looking on the interweb for any Koni FSD+Eibach combined deal, but haven't found one yet. Best price i've found separately for the FSD's is £416 + 10 P&P and £140 + £10p&p for Eibach springs.:rolleyes:

Where?

The original owner could have changed the springs, unfortunateIy I didn't get a opportunity to discuss it as bought from a non Skoda dealer. The ride is pretty hard though, feels like sports suspension and I would find it hard to believe standard springs are 30mm higher than my car, so you could well be right. Thanks for comments.

Ride height is determined by your springs, not by dampers. Fitting FSDs will have no effect on ride height. Better yet, why not have a set of Eibachs fitted at the same time? Perfect 'hunkered down' but not 'slammed' ride height, better handling, and with the FSDs, no detrimental effect on ride quality. You can't go wrong...

that's about the sum of what I was about to suggest. :thumbup:

Allow me to sum up my knowledge of ride heights; If you start with 'standard' as on Elegance/L&K etc, then go 10mm lower for vRS and then 20mm (30mm total) lower for OE 'sport' springs or eibachs (these days if you get the OE sport springs fitted by your dealer they are in fact Eibachs!). There is a very marginal difference using 225/45 17s versus 225/40 18 as the 18s are a few mm bigger, therefore they 'fill' the wheelarches a bit more (apart from the optical effect of the larger wheels).

IMHO your only realistic option is to get FSDs; certainly I do not see how your car looks to be riding too high at present as the sport springs should be 30mm lowered. How about a picture or two?

I think I have attached some photos and measured the wheelarch gap from tyre perimeter to top of wheelarch as 75mm rear (new tyres) and 70mm front (50% worn tyres)....What do you think, do you think I have sports springs?

28807.attach

28808.attach

28809.attach

I think I have attached some photos and measured the wheelarch gap from tyre perimeter to top of wheelarch as 75mm rear (new tyres) and 70mm front (50% worn tyres)....What do you think, do you think I have sports springs?

As is said; a picture paints a thousand words. Well done and thanks. :thumbup:

Now the bad news; you have got 'standard' suspension IMHO. Forgetting the measurements you have taken, I can see this from the ratio in the gap between the tyre and wheelarch. If you look at this gap at 3 or 9 o'clock and then compare it with the gap at 12 o'clock the 12 o'clock distance is greater. On the vRS (lowered by 10mm) the gap is just about the same all round and on the lowered (sport or eibach springs) the gap at 12 o'clock is less than the 3 or 9 o'clock.

I'm not familiar with the '2UC' sport suspension (you are meant to have on the car); it may be stiffer but the springs are not lowered. You have though definitely got Pegasus wheels.;)

I hope that helps. :)