Hello, it's a bit quiet!

Thought I'd post just 'cause it so quiet on here!

Bought a 1.9PDI Scout a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. Only got to drive about 200 miles before I came to work though. I work away so won't get to drive it again for another week.

The previous car was a Fiat Panda 100HP and to be honest the performance of the Roomster is pretty similar but without all of that 7000rpm nonsense.

Of course it would run rings around the Roomster down a country road but at least I have all of my fillings intact in the Roomster. Plus you can't really do that with 3 dogs and kids in the back.

It's a sign of age that the first thing that I did after collecting the Roomster was to go to Argos and buy an 8ft vertical blind just because I could actually get the thing home!

I almost bought a Fiat Qubo instead. I was going past the local dealer who does Fiat and Skoda and saw a 1.4TDI Roomster 1 outside for £7995. Under 6 months old and only 1000 miles on it, and aircon. I took it out and it was pleasant enough, I liked the noise of the 3 cylinder diesel, but I wasn't sure if 70BHP would be enough when I eventually had to overtake something. They had a new Qubo too, the 1.3 Multijet, so I took that out as well. It wasn't as well screwed together but it did have a lot more gadgets on it, although it was less comfy in the back.

Back home in the cold light of day I realised that for the price of a new Qubo I'd be better off getting a nearly new/ex-demo Roomster with the 1.9PDI in it. So that's just what I did. Another dealer nearby had a Scout as a demonstrator, so after a test drive the deal was struck! Plenty of mid-range and a lot more interesting to drive than the last family car I had, a 1.9 Multipla I used to own, and definitely better on fuel.

It's a very relaxing car after the 100HP, which is the automotive equivalent of going over Niagara falls in a barrel! 50-60mpg so far and the best bit being the tank range after having to visit the pumps every 290 miles or so in the Fiat.

My insurance actually went UP £20 but my tax has gone down by more than that, so I win out in the end.

Oh, well, early days. Got my Tunedok from eBay and dug out and auxilliary lead for the iPod. Boot liner in the post too and I'll probably go mad with extras.

A remap sounds good but to be honest I think it's got enough go for its intended use as it is.

Until the warranty runs out that is!

Nice to hear an honest comparison.

If you miss the nimbleness of the Fiat, fit a rear ARB which will reduce your understeer and roll bringing some of the magic back :thumbup:

n0ct0 I came to the Roomster by exactly the same route,have to agree that the 100HP was lots of fun but my back couldn't take the ride for longer than the year I had it.Roomster is more practical but not half as much fun:)

I've had a look at the Qubo too but to sell a car in 2009 with no carpets and just crappy and very slippery plastic on the floor is a bit unforgivable

Of course it would run rings around the Roomster down a country road but at least I have all of my fillings intact in the Roomster. Plus you can't really do that with 3 dogs and kids in the back.

Well I ain't driven a Panda but as you get to know the Roomster's limits you might find they are surprisingly high. I haven't modded mine at all but it handles very well for a tall car. Very little understeer on the 1.6 petrol (although the engine in that will be a lot lighter than the TDI)

Enjoy the car :)

Yep the Roomster is actually a very decent handling car, much better than my car. I too have driven the 70 BHP and for anyone thinking of it, don't. The 80BHP version is much better but always best to go for the 1.9 if you can. Interesting to read of the Panda. I fancied one but was put off by reports of the jarring ride. Looks like a cracking little car though.

Edited by Matt Bodycombe
Typo

Went down to S Wales a couple of days ago and managed to explore the handling a bit more than usual on the twisty A483 between Newtown and Builth - no discernible body roll, and no scrabble or scrub. Just very nimble with loads of grip and very well mannered.

It's always handled well but now I'm more impressed than ever. As someone said, it's not what you'd expect from a tall-ish car although I suspect the low profiles help.

Hi, I'm new here. I went into my local dealer today and he had a nearly new Roomster3 1.6i Tiptronic. Registered March 26th 2009, 1270 miles, asking price £10,400 so we took it out then bought it. He even took my 14 year old (but faithful) Spacewagon with a dodgy gearbox for £400.

We're collecting it Monday afternoon, can't wait, then it will be going back in to have a towbar fitted (dealer is covering the labour for that as well) then it's off to France with our little caravan at the end of June. Great stuff.