in dash cd changer

I know this should be in the ICE section but I am looking for octavia specific answers. Hopefully nobody minds.

IMHO the 6 cd changer in the boot is a waste of time since I will never be bothered to dig around to change the CDs. So, either I get a used symphony CD head unit (currently got the radio cassette) and grapple with the coding issues or maybe it is possible to fit the VW dash mounted CD changer instead?

There are plenty of in-dash 6 cd changers for sale on ebay right now (listed as skoda/seat/vw/audi). Does anyone know if these are compatible with the symphony head unit and if it is possible to slot them into the space where the cubby hole currently sits?

Cheers,

iep

I do have a very nice sony head unit but I have heard about issues with the antenna amplifier?

what issue?

I have a bluetooth sony xplod head unit and its perfect. goes right up to "11" and the "loud" setting is awesome.

i would agree that the fm aerial needs a booster lead. but i have a dab / fm unit and mainly listen to dab anyway, crystal clear! as per the autochanger, i took mine completely out and put a sub there. ipod lead up front for maximum tunes! the stock tape player and speakers r a bit naf so am in process of replacing them all. hope this helps.

I've always wanted to change the stereo equipment but cant get my head round the k line among other things. When I look at electrics its like looking at a bowl of spagetti. I really can't get my head round electrics full stop :confused:

I've always wanted to change the stereo equipment but cant get my head round the k line among other things. When I look at electrics its like looking at a bowl of spagetti. I really can't get my head round electrics full stop :confused:

Just buy the autoleads adapter and that takes care of the k line issue :)

Thye usually come with a plug but not the one requried too blank off the K line.

The autoleads one does this and "I think" it switches the perm live around as well .......I think !!!

Fatty5000, are you referring to the autoleads PC2-69-4 adapter?

If this is all you need then I guess I can easily just buy the PC2-69-4 adapter and aerial booster above and switch in my nice Sony head unit?

Cheers,

ip

That looks too be the one, I can't quite remember if it switches the live or if my buddy in the shop chopped them and bullet connected them for perm live.

Maybe someone else can confirm this for us.

I would have look in the car but its a nightmare removing my HU as I have the handsfree plummed in as well, and I don't think I could handle the stress at the moment :o

Thanks. Please don't worry about trying to remove your unit to check (horrid job). I can easily switch the perm/switched leads over if required.

Cheers,

iep

I have a VW in dash changer in my Octavia. The original boot mounted one was missing when I bought it. The Changer connection wouldn't go straight into the HU , (later connector) so I cut it off and used the connector off the original front to back lead . There is one extra wire for the illumination which I got from the HU illumination. Had to trim a bit of the plastic support frame to get it all in ( fitted my Sony Ericsson car kit at the same time so extra wiring to squeeze in) . Only downside is it says VW on it! It sits above the Std HU , At least it wont get wet there !

hth, Dave

Decided to take route of least resistance and fit my sony HU. I would have liked to keep the original look of the stereo but am too swayed by having use of the USB port on my Sony again.

So, cables ordered and we'll see how it goes from there.

Cheers to all for their advice.

iep

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting find here. I have a Sony HU which I have now installed in my car. I found that the default wiring loom that came with the sony wa already a Sony to ISO converter. Infact, havein looked into it, most stereos already come with this loom. So, don't rush out and buy the PC2-69-4 adapter until you have checked.

Also, I bought a auto-leads ariel booster (really just a decoupling cap to allow DC power to be sent back up the aerial for the exiting booster in the car) and found that the resultant signal was too powerful for the sony when the aerial booster was in place. The sound was heavily compressed and clipped sounding. Took the aerial booster out and, hey presto, really good radio reception.

So, not sure if this is just my HU but, if you have a Sony then you may not need any additional cabling to switch it in at all!

Cheers,

iep