Brake fluid change on 2 year service?

I took my vRS in for its 20,000 mile service a couple of weeks ago and reading the report that came back with it have just noticed that the brake fluid wasn't changed. The report says that this is due and warns of the dangers in not getting this done. Given the service booklet also states this needs to be done every two years shouldn't the garage have changed the fluid as part of the service? Can anyone tell me if this is normal please? I'm going to speak to the garage (a Skoda main dealer) tomorrow and would like to be able to quote other owners' experiences. Thanks.

You need to request it to be done as the garage may not know when it was last changed, only you do. and yes it should be done every 2 years, brake fluid deterioates over time. Mine was done recently and the brakes feel much better as a result. Cost is around £40-50 at main dealer prices.

Thanks mannyo, looks like they don't do it as a matter of course although as cjb says (thanks cjb), there is a tick box for it. Seems strange that they need to be told though especially as the car's only 2 years old - I doubt many people would have had the brake fluid changed before unless some sort of problem had occured. They should ask customers when the car is being booked in.

they should really of rung you up to advise that it needs to be done at 2 years and given you a quote for doing it

or better still, if the receptionist had been on the ball he/she would of asked you whether you wanted it doing at the sametime as the service

mines not been changed for 3 years going on for the forth now and has not been changed. I can still brake : ) , however I think I may change it soon.

My father said it should be ok for 4 years, however I think things have changed since he was a mechanic as load of people have recomeneded to do it after 2 years.

However, I feel if the brake fluid change is to be done every 2 years why don't they just do it in the service.

I mean I asked them to do the fuel filter on the 3rd service and they wanted to charge £40 for fitting and £25 for the filter itself, I was already having a service done (3rd year). Dealers are just robbing dogs! when they don't need to be.

You definitely need to change your brake fluid Chris. Brake fluid absorbs water over time and deteriorates. Water in brake fluid is a bad thing and causes it to boil much earlier than it should do. It can also cause corrosion in your braking system - you should see the crap that comes out after 2 years let alone 4.

I strongly advise that you get it done ASAP.

You definitely need to change your brake fluid Chris. Brake fluid absorbs water over time and deteriorates. Water in brake fluid is a bad thing and causes it to boil much earlier than it should do. It can also cause corrosion in your braking system - you should see the crap that comes out after 2 years let alone 4.

I strongly advise that you get it done ASAP.

I will look into getting it done this week then. Going to an independent now it''s out of warranty.

Thanks for this.