Have I got the right choice of Tyre????

Hightower_vRS

Hi guys,

I've had to order two new tyres for the front of my mk1 octavia vrs. After reading all the old posts I've bit the bullet and ordered two Toyo Proxes T1R (225/45/17w) at £95 each fitted.

However is it the right choice??? I was offered two Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric for £115 each fitted. Would these be any better for the money????

Obviously I want good dry/wet grip but I also want to get good miles out of them too.

These will replace the standard size rears when they eventually go too.:confused:

Having had Toyo T1R's on all four of my old Octy vRS and done quite a few miles on them, "YES", they are brilliant, but, tyre choice is a personal thing, and others may differ.

Point of order; it's illegal to run wider tyres on the front of a car than on the rear.

That said I'm another one who's entirely happy with T1-Rs, and I'm sure someone will mention Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas before long!

Point of order; it's illegal to run wider tyres on the front of a car than on the rear.

In which country/universe is this law? :confused:

Personally I'm pretty happy with the T1-R on my car, once I added 2psi above book value for the car. At the normal pressure they were very loose and the sidewalls seem very flexible. The extra pressure makes them much, much better.

In which country/universe is this law? :confused:

Personally I'm pretty happy with the T1-R on my car, once I added 2psi above book value for the car. At the normal pressure they were very loose and the sidewalls seem very flexible. The extra pressure makes them much, much better.

This one, and it has been since about 1980.

I think you're confusing Section 26 of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, which deals with mixing of radial and crossply tyres where you're not allowed to run radial on the front and crossply on the rear.

I don't see anywhere in the law that mentions exactly what we're talking about.

Please feel free to point out where I'm wrong, Ken.

I'd struggle to find a reference as such, but the Citroen CX was originally introduced running 185 front and 175 rears, and switched to 185s all round following a change in the C&U Regs.

Hi I ran F1 Asyms on my previous car, a 270bhp Focus ST-2. I got 14k out of them and I don't have a particularly light right foot. Can't speak for the Toyo's but will be putting the set I took off it before trade in on my Octavia Vrs as soon as the current Dunlops have worn through.

I added 2psi above book value for the car. At the normal pressure they were very loose and the sidewalls seem very flexible. The extra pressure makes them much, much better.

Agreed. I am running 215/40/16s and have them at 35 front 33 rear. Seems about perfect.

Very happy with the T1-Rs. I'm on my 4th-5th (something like that) set and think they are great. They wear well if you drive steady and grip well for the occassions when you want to make progress. They are pretty good in the wet too, though on a fabia they do oversteer, but that is probably more the car than the tyres.

Do you have a rear ARB on the Fabia, KLM? Might be too tight if you have, or maybe knackered rear dampers? I thought the Fabia was very understeery until a rear ARB was added, which brings them towards neutral (going by the Furby at work)

Do you have a rear ARB on the Fabia, KLM? Might be too tight if you have, or maybe knackered rear dampers? I thought the Fabia was very understeery until a rear ARB was added, which brings them towards neutral (going by the Furby at work)

You might want to try a site search for "inverted Briskodan".