59.3mpg !!!

I drove up to Stratford yesterday, across country in 50 and 60mph limits with occasional 30's for villages , not exactly cruising and I wasnt shy to overtake when I was able and i wasnt even being that gentle ie getting back up to speed quickly when coming out of 30 limits but even so the car showed 59.3mpg for the trip !!!

I'm stunned , i really am as the car has only just reached 1000miles , with my previous diesels and my wifes PD Octy they took a fair few miles to loosen up perhaps as much as 10,000

I know the mfd isnt accurate but no car is and as a comparison its perfectly valid , i always do a tank to tank comparison anyhow but as i rarely drive more than about 10miles this reduces my average somewhat, as over a tank i am getting about 42mpg (actual) which is still pretty good and better than the wifes PD does on the commute which is almost all motorway!!

That's an impressive for a new 170CR, however, I'd be more interested in the actual brim to empty calculated figure.

By way of a comparison, my 5 month old Superb 1.9TDi 105 with 13,300 miles is returning 62-65mpg on motorways when travelling at approx. 60mph. The actual consumption (full to empty and full again) for motorway driving within the speed limit is 55mpg.

Problem is i will rarely if ever drive for 500+ miles at these kind of speeds/conditions

I did notice after a motorway trip at the weekend that the consumption was considerably higher , the mfd didnt record much over 50mpg during a steady trip of 2 time 50 miles at 70mph, i think the key is to drive at around 2000rpm anything more and you really get punished on the fuel front .

Not that i bought the car to be this good on fuel i will be very happy if i can get 42-44mpg on average

we are getting an all round average of 35.5mpg for the last 2500 miles and we went on a long run from lincoln to stafford the other day and got 39.5. it even touched 40mpg at one point until we started the twisty roads on teh approach to stafford. not bad for a 1.8 petrol auto really !!

Is that on a tank to tank comparison or just the figure from the MFD??

Is that on a tank to tank comparison or just the figure from the MFD??

MFD. cant be bothered to do the other one as not that bothered really. I will get what I get on the economy front ! dont do enough miles to worry about it too much !

Well forgetting about the money saving my MFD claims i have got 47.4mpg since i bought the car compared to 35.5mpg thats 11.9 miles further for every gallon or 157 miles further on every tank!!!

• 3 months later...

This night I did a 250 km(~155 miles) trip.After cruising at around 120km/h(~75 miles/s) I did a refill and I was astonished when I saw on the trip computer 1280km or 1260km I can't remember,the photo is in my phone(~800miles) until empty tank.On this trip I had 4.6 L/100km(~61.4mpg).In this case the record wasn't the consumption,it was the km number until empty.As for the consumption record,I had 3.8 L/100km(~74.3mpg) after a 100km trip while driving at a constant 90-100km/h.Also,at constant 80km/h in the 5th gear I have around 3.2-3.3(85-88mpg),but this isn't relevant on a public road because the engine is a little bit under-revved,and I can't overtake any car without a huge instant increase in consumption that turns the average consumption up to 3.5-3.6(after a single overtake).Maybe average consumption would be around 3.4-3.5,I never tested on purpose the car for a consumption record.

It might seem impossible,but I would like to add that the engine is not stock,it has a little powerbox that helps the engine reach 211bhp and 410nm(dyno tested).I would also like to add a little info.I got a remote on/off powerbox.When doing 165km/h(6th gear,3000rpm),I have 6.6 with the box on and when I turn it off the consumption suddently goes around 8.8.If there is someone that really really thinks I lie,let me know what photos or videos you would like me to make.

Also for the city driving,I am pretty dissapointed with the consumption.I drive on small distances,sometimes even 2 km,it's a crowded city.I get around 10 L/100km,and sometimes even 15-16L/100km(in case if I drive on 1-2km distances which takes around 15 minutes to reach the destination).

Edited by infoschumi