Octavia 1 PD130 turbo problem

I have owned a 130pd (from new) on a 53 plate. It's covered 28,000 miles. Over the weekend whilst travelling back from Chester on the M56 the engine management light came on following which there was a distinct lack of power. Investigation by local Skoda dealer revealed that the the turbo and waste gate were u/s. The cost of the repair is estimated at around £1000. The car has been completely fault free up until now. I wondered if this is a common fault or has been expirienced by anyone else? My faith in the vehicle has been somewhat shaken.

Thanks in anticipation

The Rhino :)

I had a 130 pd, covered just over 50,000 miles fault free. Best car I've had.

Got a 140 pd now just had a new turbo fitted at 37,000 miles, sounded like a police car from cold.

Had it fitted under warranty at Derek Slacks Middlesbrough, excellent service.

Took it in 08.30 needed it back asap to go to france same day, got it back 14.00, brill.

Read somewhere on here that someone else had the same problem on their fabia and it was about a year or so out of warrany had similar milgage as yours.It was found to be a defective turbo and was changed at no cost to the owner. I would try and argue the case of a defective turbo as you wouldn't expect it to be bust on such a low milage car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

your 130pd does not have a wastegate you have a vnt turbo .you may have sticky vanes that send car into limp home mode.switching off and on will clear it.(search vnt turbo faults) M.A.F mass air flow faults are common (sensor near air filter) .

search you tube for animation of how variable vane technology works.

cliver

The dealer says the turbo needs replacing because I'm asuming that is what the all knowing computer said. When I had the sticky turbo problem with my car (not a PD though) the service manager said to me "it doesn't matter what's wrong with the turbo, that error code means we replace the turbo, we don't repair things we just replace them."

Based on this I suspect they just plugged in the computer, read the error code(s) and decided on the turbo change, they wouldn't have done anything more. It took the dealer less than 10 minutes to arrive at this conclusion on my car. To be fair though I think a lot of this is specified by Skoda, so the dealer doesn't really have a choice on what they do.

This is how the variable vane turbo works. The movement is vacuum driven via a rod and "solenoid" [a misnomer] from a valve on the back wall :

http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/vtg-sequenz.gif

I had my turbo taken out by a local Skoda garage and send to a turbo cleaning company. It took 10 days overall to get the car back but the local Skoda garage lent me a new car free of charge!

Member greg123 on this forum has a company that cleans turbos but his details have gone from the members list.

If the PD130 has a variable vane turbo then this is a likely cause, especially if the car has mostly been run at low revs around town. Search on here for the many threads.

But if you can get new one fitted for free by Skoda...........!

Member greg123 on this forum has a company that cleans turbos but his details have gone from the members list.
greg123 is still a member and can be found by typing his user name in Search - Advanced Search.

That doesn't sound right, although it could be lack of use. My PD130 is now upto 123k and the turbo is still good (touchwood)

I would have to go and jinx it :mad::mad::mad: . Went into limp mode twice last week :( :( ah well, got the fault codes reset and gave it a little welly and it's not returned... (now i've jinxed it again time to look for a pd150 turbo :D:D