Hi to you all,

My MOT is due begining of July and I need a bit of advice please.

I have noticed a steering gaitor has split just close to the bulkhead, looking in the engine bay to the left ... I think I know what i`m talking about :rotz: ... and have bought a set to replace. With Haynes manual at hand it says I have to remove Track Rod Balljoint and this I need some advice.

Firstly, I can feel a clunk more than hear a clunk through my steering wheel. I have checked the suspension for leaks and for broken or missing rubber bushes around the suspension strut and springs, pressed hard on front wings to check everything returns to normal. I see no damage. It would be great if there was a exploded diagram but with a Haynes manual you don`t. :(

Should I replace Track Rod Balljoint and bushes, If so how many?

Second, spark plugs, I got a set of Bosch FR7 DC+ off Jorily do I set them the same as Champion as described in my Haynes manual 0.8mm.

Thanks in advance, Circlip :)

You can replace a rack gaiter without deranging the tracking as follows:-

1) Locate the flats on the trackrod and find the right-size open end spanner.

2) Do the same with the locknut on the outer end of the rod.

3) Break the lock between the locknut and rod end.

4) Use some insulating tape to mark where the locknut is in case you move it; a couple ot time round will do.

5) Unscrew the rod out of the rod end.

6) Replace the torn gaiter.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above.

You may or may not need to replace the rod end or wishbone bushes; that depends on whether they're worn or not.

Spark plugs wise; I've never had any problems changing makes and using the Haynes' gaps.