Broken Bottom Arm Bolt

Hi all

Was attempting to take out the bottom arm to change the rear bush for MOT. The bottom arm disconnected from the suspension arm perfectly, when we were taking out the front bolt however, the tension was massive on it, despite supporting, moving etc etc. The bolt must have threaded out ok about 3/4's of an inch when with the next turn it just snapped. Leaving the rest of the threaded bar half way between the bottom arm and the undercarriage that supports everything under the engine.

Just wondering what my best options are here. Im thinking that i find a mechanic with a tap/dye and have it rethreaded or something like that. Anyone have this experience before? Cost of fixing it? Time etc?

All advice and comments appreciated. Cheers.

Is this the front bolt for the wishbone to consule? If it is, then the wishbone should come off OK as the bolt head will be gone. This will leave the broken bolt in the consule. Liberal dose of plus gas, heating the consule, and mole grips, or two locknuts if there is enough thread left showing.

If that's not it, will need a picture to see what's what.

If everything's lined up right, shouldn't it just come out with a big drift and a wieldy hammer? I know that worked for anything I ever worked on except one time we found a bolt siezed to its bush, and that was a blowtorch job.

PB300036-1.jpg?t=1245837621

Hope this helps? Must point out this is not my photo, but one a site member uploaded.

New console £71+ region with fitted rear bush. Ian. 24/06/2009 :thumbup:

Edited by giandougl

Ouch nasty, snapped inside the consule. Probably due to 'cold welding' of steel bolt to alloy consule. Consule will need to come off the car, so choices are, have bolt drilled out and thread re-tapped. Or just fit a new consule.