What I find odd is there's been no drop-off in performance or fuel consumption.

If it wasn't for that damn warning light I wouldn't have known there was anything amiss :confused:

What I find odd is there's been no drop-off in performance or fuel consumption.

If it wasn't for that damn warning light I wouldn't have known there was anything amiss :confused:

... which has then got to be a fairly good indicator that the garage that quoted you for all that work has no idea what they're on about.

That's what I'm hoping. Maybe spend the change on having it remapped whilst I'm down at JKM or am I just getting carried away? :P

That would seem like a perfectly sensible thing to do ;)

... which has then got to be a fairly good indicator that the garage that quoted you for all that work has no idea what they're on about.

:iagree: - I suggested getting someone else to perform a compression test because I thought that would prove there was no loss of compression, and hence that the garage that wanted to do head work were a shower of !! [insert epiphet of choice]

That's what I'm hoping. Maybe spend the change on having it remapped whilst I'm down at JKM or am I just getting carried away? :P

personally id wait till you've got the fault sorted, most mappers wont touch the car with faults on anyway and id be wanting to wait a few weeks to see if they light came back up after its sorted, safe in the knowledge its nothing to do with the map

personally id wait till you've got the fault sorted, most mappers wont touch the car with faults on anyway and id be wanting to wait a few weeks to see if they light came back up after its sorted, safe in the knowledge its nothing to do with the map

Agreed - I wasn't too serious about the remap although from what I've read on the forum there's not too much you can do with the non-turbo FSi anyway.

May have to settle for a Carbonio intake instead :thumbup:

Went to JKM who did a compression test (whilst making me a cup of tea) which discounted the duff inlet valve theory which the stealer presented me with.

Replaced the EGR, warning light and fault codes gone, seems to drive better (subjective on my part) and the fuel consumption seems to have improved (so says the MFD).

Cost? £300. Happy Bunny. :thumbup:

That's an expensive cup of tea! :eek: ;) Lol

Seriously, glad you got it sorted. Just goes to show how much better the well-respected independent garages are compared to the stealers.

Just goes to show how much better the well-respected independent garages are compared to the stealers.

That's an understatement if ever there was one. JKM will be getting my business from now on.

Went to JKM who did a compression test (whilst making me a cup of tea) which discounted the duff inlet valve theory which the stealer presented me with.

Replaced the EGR, warning light and fault codes gone, seems to drive better (subjective on my part) and the fuel consumption seems to have improved (so says the MFD).

Cost? £300. Happy Bunny. :thumbup:

glad it's fixed, what was the damage(price) of the valve if it's not a rude question? was it not repairable or just not worth it in view of the labour cost any details gratefully recieved! interesting the computer blamed the N18

Thanks Wobs; I thought that might prove to be the case.

You might want to make some pointed comments on the relevant thread in the Review Centre now.

Will do, over the weekend! :orb_angry

glad it's fixed, what was the damage(price) of the valve if it's not a rude question? was it not repairable or just not worth it in view of the labour cost any details gratefully recieved! interesting the computer blamed the N18

The EGR was £156 ex-vat. The rest was labour. Mind you the advice was priceless

The error codes were as per my original post. That bit the stealer managed to get right (for £80).

There is a new Skoda dealer opened up in Botley - Sparshatts. Had a notification from SUK yesterday. They have been a Subaru dealer for years. Don't know if they're any good though.

Although I have brought two Octavias from Winchester Motor Co over the last three years, I can also agree that the service side of things is a bit slapdash lately, and they NEVER EVER wash the bloody car after a service or warranty work either. It's a bit S H I T E !

and they NEVER EVER wash the bloody car after a service or warranty work either. It's a bit S H I T E !

God love 'em!

I hate my dealer washing my car - always leaves swirl marks in the paint.

Sure, give it a vacuum & clean the windows but please don't touch my paint

God love 'em!

I hate my dealer washing my car - always leaves swirl marks in the paint.

Sure, give it a vacuum & clean the windows but please don't touch my paint

Me neither, I am glad that my dealer does not wash cars when they do their servicing. You never know how they do it and I dont want it back with a load of fine scratches in the paint.

I must also say that not all main dealers are the same, mine are excellent and do a lot of stuff for me for free that others charge for, and will even let me have some cheaper parts for free as well if I need them.