Most odd (rev limiter)

amclerr

Can anyone help...

Driving home tonight the car (2.0 TFSI vRS) hit the rev limiter at 5000 rpm - not the normal hit and retard but a "hit and bounce" in that the revs were immediatley thrown back to 3000 rpm abruptly. I thought, this odd, so I droped a gear and floored it (on a safe stretch of road) and same again. I tried it a third time and the EPC & Control system exhaust lights came on, blinked out and were followed immediately by the oil pressure light and warning alarm. I immedately pulled over, switched off the ignition and tried to start the car again as all the warning lights blinked off when I turned the key - it started immediately with no warnings and I drove off. There have been no other warnings before or after and I'm nervous to try and replicate the fault again. I've checked the oil level (OK) but noticed that despite the temp gauge registering normal that the inside of the engine bay after 1.5 hours parked was still very hot. I know its been a hot day, but sure that can't be it?

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks for the replies - let me clarify.

When the revs droped sharply witht the clutch out and the car slows. The intervention was the engine management system I assume. Normally when you bounce of the rev limiter it is a sort of buzz saw effect as the spark is cut to the plugs - this was a very abrupt and sudden drop. The car didn't stall or stutter.

The car is a petrol and 5000rpm isn't booting the nuts of it.

The car runs absolutely fine with no fault lights or over heating up to 5000rpm and after my scare I ran a further 30 miles sweet as a nut as I was too scared to try again.

I don't have the means to access the ECU logs myself.

maybe just a glitch, you may never see the fault again... I can understand your nervousness though, not what you want if powering past someone on an a-road.... maybe get VAGCOM plugged in and read the fault codes? (or get a dealer to do that if its under warrenty...)

• 1 month later...

Turned out to be a faulty engine speed sensor - misreads foxed the engine management system and hance the violent shut down and limp home mode. All fixed now (for the princely sume of nearly £300!) and normal service (and grin factor) has been resumed.