Steel Wheels for Snow Tyres on VRS

Hi All

Been trying to find the answers with 'search' but don't think I'm very good at it!

I'm going to be driving to the Alps next winter so need snow tyres on my VRS. My plan was to get a set of spare steel wheels for winter use with snow tyres and save my alloys for the better weather. I'm not sure if to buy 3 more steel 'spares' or try to get some cheaper second hand ones from somewhere. One of my main questions is should I get 'thinner' steel wheels to help with grip in the snow? As you'll all know the 205's on the VRS's aren't very good in snow. Any tips or info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kerry

You could definitely get three more spare wheels of the steel type. Thinner tyres would be a good idea for snow, but as it's a five stud pattern, not sure what wheels would fit.

I run 16" Mk.4 Golf steelies on my Fabia as I'm a driving instructor, keeping the alloys locked away for trackdays and in pristine condition come sale time. Paid £20 each from a scrappers.

This website is very helpful - http://www.tyresite.com/tyrecalc.asp

The following 16" tyres are within 2.5% of 205/45/16s;

Tyre code Diameter Circumference Difference

---------- -------- ------------- ----------

195/45 R16 582 mm 1828 mm -1.52 %

205/45 R16 591 mm 1857 mm 0 %

175/50 R16 581 mm 1825 mm -1.61 %

185/50 R16 591 mm 1857 mm 0.08 %

195/50 R16 601 mm 1888 mm 1.78 %

155/55 R16 577 mm 1813 mm -2.37 %

165/55 R16 588 mm 1847 mm -0.51 %

175/55 R16 599 mm 1882 mm 1.35 %

145/60 R16 580 mm 1822 mm -1.78 %

155/60 R16 592 mm 1860 mm 0.25 %

165/60 R16 604 mm 1898 mm 2.28 %

145/65 R16 595 mm 1869 mm 0.68 %

I think the wheels are 6" wide, in which case you'll need a minimum tyre width of 155 according to the rim width calculator on that site.

As for the wheels, try your Skoda dealer, but also try VW. I needed a 16" steel wheel for our old Fabia (so the spare was the same size as the alloys I'd put on it) - they had brand new 16" steel wheels from a golf/bora/beetle and sold me one for thirty quid.

Are you going for a season or just a visit?

I went to the alps last year in mine and was fine on normal alloys until the last day, when it dumped it down with snow and I ended up having to buy a £140 set of snow chains which scratched the hell out of my one alloy and not the other (the side that my mate fitted!?!?!?).

I would say narrower tyre the better for the snow, but as said before a cheap set of steels from a breakers would do the job fine!

Or buy some of those material snow chains which are alloy friendly and cost about £60!

Fabroadtrip.jpg

Thanks JulieD, very helpful.

Callum, this will be just a visit this time. A week in Austria, so I'll need snow tyres on by law, then travelling around Italy for a couple of weeks. Would love to do a season but work would stop that, the spoilsports! It'll certainly not be the only time we'll drive over in the winter so thought I may as well sort myself out with the two sets of wheels from the outset.

Where did you go last year?

Thanks JulieD, very helpful.

Callum, this will be just a visit this time. A week in Austria, so I'll need snow tyres on by law, then travelling around Italy for a couple of weeks. Would love to do a season but work would stop that, the spoilsports! It'll certainly not be the only time we'll drive over in the winter so thought I may as well sort myself out with the two sets of wheels from the outset.

Where did you go last year?

I went to the 3 valleys in France (Chourceval) in Jan last year, Switzerland in March and 3 Valleys again Feb this year (Mottaret) snowboarding, but we went in my mates Dad's new Range Rover this year which was a little more comfy than mine, but cost us about £300 in fuel instead of my car which cost about £150....

I took my Furby to Euro Disney over Christmas as well, so it loves a good road trip!!

I went to the 3 valleys in France (Chourceval) in Jan last year, Switzerland in March and 3 Valleys again Feb this year (Mottaret) snowboarding, but we went in my mates Dad's new Range Rover this year which was a little more comfy than mine, but cost us about £300 in fuel instead of my car which cost about £150....

I took my Furby to Euro Disney over Christmas as well, so it loves a good road trip!!

Yours has had a few trips then. Took mine to central Italy once last year and March this, going again at the end of the month. With all the rave about skis and luggage when flying I think we'll start driving more to the Alps. Next on the agenda will be cruise control, didn't get it when new as didn't think I'd need it but will be a god send now. Just need to find someone localish to do it.

Grimsby Ranger, I have a set of mk4 Golf / mk1 Octy steelies sat in my lock up in Scunthorpe.

They don't fit my mkII Octy. PM me if interested....

cheers ... Darren

No you dont, they are at my house, let me know if you want em back