Private Plate Woes

speednut

Need some advice,

Sold my old Octy ( Quintens old bus) back in April to a fellow member on here, anyhow because the guy came down with readies I let him take the car still with my private plate on.

We came to an agreement wherebuy I knocked the transfer fee off the price and he would do the paperwork for me at a later date.

However the car had some issues which arose sometime later, not to go into detail but we corresponded by pm and we came to an agreement whereby the plate would be transfered by the 18th June to give the guy some breathing space.

The 18th has come and gone and I can get no response from the guy, at the moment I have been pm him. I do not have a telephone no only an address in Washington Tyne And Wear

Firstly this was a gentlemans agreement although I do have a witnessed receipt for the car which states the transfer arrangements.

If the guy has problems he should start a dialogue not go off the radar because I want this situation resolved and at the moment I am getting irritated.:mad:

Just need some advice on my position, does anybody on here know the guy Tony_82 is his forum name, can somebody have a word?

Steve

As you already know his name and address, send a recorded delivery letter, with a copy of the receipt regarding the private plate, reminding him of his promise to transfer the plate, if that fails drive up and see him.

As you already know his name and address, send a recorded delivery letter, with a copy of the receipt regarding the private plate, reminding him of his promise to transfer the plate, if that fails drive up and see him.

agreed, that'd be what i'd do first,

and like Beretta says, failing that.....you know where he lives :thumbup:

Cheers Guys

Done the very thing today,letter and all that but you try to be reasonable and you get **** on puts a bad taste in your mouth:(

Anyhow I am ever the optomist and hope Tony contacts me and resolves the situation

Steve

Cheers Jason

I know he used to own a Honda Accord Type R so will have a trawl on tinternet for forums, maybe he is still posting on them.

Want I want to know is where I stand from a legal standpoint.

Any legal eagles on here?

Steve

When I renewed the tax on the wifes car I asked the question at my local DVLA office, the reply went along the lines of, if it is on the car and the V5 has been exchanged then I am in the hands of the new purchaser.:mad:

Steve

When I renewed the tax on the wifes car I asked the question at my local DVLA office, the reply went along the lines of, if it is on the car and the V5 has been exchanged then I am in the hands of the new purchaser.:mad:

Steve

yeh unfortunately this is true, so technically, tony does now legally own the number plate. lets just hope he does keep to his gentlemens agreement.

a friend of mine had an RS turbo and he did the same thing, lost an expensive plate over it aswell :(

yeh unfortunately this is true, so technically, tony does now legally own the number plate. lets just hope he does keep to his gentlemens agreement.

a friend of mine had an RS turbo and he did the same thing, lost an expensive plate over it aswell :(

So looks like the small claims court:nutkick: as a last resort. To be fair I think that it is all wrong I payed for the bloody plate ,should be some recourse through DVLA but as usual they won't be unless someone knows differant?

Steve:mad:

makes me wonder why the other guy would want to keep it, then??

oh well, time will tell...

I'm not clued up with the transfer regulations of private plates, but one suggestion (soz If its daft), he may try to sell them on.

It's to do with his name, not car specific.

His initials IIRC

Cheers

Damian

Spot on Damian, last three are my initials but first two read R5 so you never know, just hope he comes to his senses and contacts me.

Steve

Go to autotrader and check to see if it is still on your old car

When I was down at the DVLA local office in Sheffield a kind lady did a quick check and my plate was still on the car

Cheers for the advice though:thumbup:

Steve

Afternoon gents. As one of you eagle eyed lot spotted, I've not been online in quite a while. I have now got Speednuts contact number, a txt will be sent in the next couple of minutes and I will be calling him tonight to discuss. I will not be updating this thread unless I feel it absolutely necessary, but I will say don't judge a guy unless you know the full situation.