Octy Vrs has had a hissy fit....

Have never had any issues with my 58 plate Octy vRS until today...

Was driving back from Devon to Kent post a meeting today - got most of the way home onto the M25 when the glow plug / emissions light came on and the car beebed engine fault.

Thought - that cant be good, and pulled over. Rang my local skoda dealer and stated that the light was on but there were no other problems, they told me it would be fine but to bring it down when I got home, so thought could be brake light switch and got on with it.

How wrong were they.... within 20 miles my exhaust light came on, with 'exhaust system failure message' followed by the DPF warning followed by the car deciding to give up the ghost.

Hour and 45 mins later RAC turned up, and towed me back home, droping my car off on way back home. Other then the wait the guy was

:thumbup:

Popped back down the garage to look at the diagnostics which have stated DPF Overload and Pressure failure.

The mechanic was mythed, and is now trying to sort the issue - he is aware of my map and is confident that wouldnt have caused the issues - and is still happy to work off the warrenty.

Anyone else had anything like this before? :cool:

You are lucky, because DPFs and remaps on the TDi are known to cause issues. This is why some of the main remap players shy away from the 170PD and CR engine.

You are lucky, because DPFs and remaps on the TDi are known to cause issues. This is why some of the main remap players shy away from the 170PD and CR engine.

Well it helps that the guy who owns the dealership is a relation ;)

However - I'm not convinced that the DPF issue is the root of the problem.

The DPF didn't fail for some time after the initial warning lights came on, there was a good 20 miles+ between them. Ill let you know when the work has been carried out and I'm given a clearer picture.

Should this be a direct result of the map - I may end up having it taken off :rotz:

Just spoken to the garage again - the mechanic they had in on Friday wasn't able to totally diagnose the fault. The foreman is about monday and he is going to take a look.

They have said it is most definatly a vacuum problem, and seem to think its more then likely a failed turbo?

To be honest - I dont have a clue!

Have you been in touch with Will at Ptorque to tell him about the problem? Would be useful to know whether any other vag models with the same engine have suffered this fault....

I'm not mechanically minded so I've no idea what the dpf overload is or why/how it relates to the turbo - just know that if you come back next week saying the remap has caused the problem it will be coming off my car too!

Good luck Jamesy

Have you been in touch with Will at Ptorque to tell him about the problem? Would be useful to know whether any other vag models with the same engine have suffered this fault....

I'm not mechanically minded so I've no idea what the dpf overload is or why/how it relates to the turbo - just know that if you come back next week saying the remap has caused the problem it will be coming off my car too!

Good luck Jamesy

Fair play mate! Will let you know the outcome. Will also get in touch with Will and let him know whats happened.

I got all of this on Leon FR170 PD pretty much exactly as you described it. Dealer told me to carry on with all the lights as shown and then got limp home for a few miles followed by total conk out.

It went in and out of dealer once every 3 days for about a fortnight getting DPF regenerated and various sensors changed before, for some reason (not necessarily related), the tip came off a glow plug, dropped into the bore, smashed up the bore, went out through the exhaust valve, mullered the cylinder head and then killed the turbo!!! All at 56K miles (no remap on mine).

The dealer who fitted the new engine said there is some kind of valve / flap on the uinlet side on mine that was stuck open and had cause it to run like crap and then block up and give up.

Don't know if it is the same thing but the initial symptoms sounds really similar.

I got all of this on Leon FR170 PD pretty much exactly as you described it. Dealer told me to carry on with all the lights as shown and then got limp home for a few miles followed by total conk out.

It went in and out of dealer once every 3 days for about a fortnight getting DPF regenerated and various sensors changed before, for some reason (not necessarily related), the tip came off a glow plug, dropped into the bore, smashed up the bore, went out through the exhaust valve, mullered the cylinder head and then killed the turbo!!! All at 56K miles (no remap on mine).

The dealer who fitted the new engine said there is some kind of valve / flap on the uinlet side on mine that was stuck open and had cause it to run like crap and then block up and give up.

Don't know if it is the same thing but the initial symptoms sounds really similar.

Thats interesting - thanks for letting me know mate. Really does sound incredibly similar.

There working on my car this morning - so hopefully Ill have some more information soon.

Andy, spoke to Will - he hasn't had any issues with any of his cars.

Garage has confirmed that the turbo blew, which then caused the DPF issues - they have also confirmed that this had nothing to do with the remap at all, and was purely unlucky!

They have replaced under warrenty

Jamesy

Glad that the remap wasn't the cause - I've done about 5K miles since having it done and have loved every mile, but must confess I've been less heavy on the right peddle since hearing your news! Back to heavy right foot tomorrow!

How long till you get your car back?

Jamesy

Glad that the remap wasn't the cause - I've done about 5K miles since having it done and have loved every mile, but must confess I've been less heavy on the right peddle since hearing your news! Back to heavy right foot tomorrow!

How long till you get your car back?

Back on Friday - I cant wait!

Never realised I would miss the car so much - have had a 1.5 courtesy car and its like surfing a slug!

Had been considering an A5 3.0tdi Quattro - but am definatly putting that off, just want to get back in the Octy!

I am actually wondering if there are any other mods I can look to do?!?! Any suggestions?

Well am still waiting to get the car back.

Firstly the turbo arrived from Skoda - and believe it or not, it had apparently been assembled back to front ( or they ordered the wrong one )

They ordered another, it arrived, fitted. Then they couldn't regenerate the original DPF - so have now ordered a new one of those.

They are aware of my map - and wont remove it. However, quick question - if the battery is disconnected for a certain amount of time - does the ECU wipe the map? Bloody hope not!

if the battery is disconnected for a certain amount of time - does the ECU wipe the map? Bloody hope not!

Nope! :thumbup: However, if they do an ecu reflash with an update from Skoda, that might. However, if they know the car is mapped, it is less likely this will be done.

Nope! :thumbup: However, if they do an ecu reflash with an update from Skoda, that might. However, if they know the car is mapped, it is less likely this will be done.

Good stuff :thumbup: There's no way they'll reflash the ECU - I know them in there pretty well, and they know I'd kill em!

And for anyone else whose interested with remaps and warrenty issues - it turns out that when performing system checks, the first thing the dealer software does is check for mechanical issues. If the system flashes up with such issues the dealer can stop the checks and warrenty the car from there.

Only if they software was to flash up ECU fault might you then have some issues.

If its a friendly dealer warrenty need not be such a huge issue when mapping.

Well the saga continues.... and I'm starting to get a little p*******d off now!

Turbo has been changed, all hoses have been changed and a new DPF has been fitted.

However, the garage are having huge issues reseting the system to get it out of engine management mode.

They have had various codes sent across from Skoda and none of them are working. They have never had this issue on the PD cars, but mine is the first common rail unit they have dealt with.

Anyone else heard of issues when resetting the system out of engine management mode?