Will the estate take an extra large dog crate?

H has got an extra large dog crate which measures about 100cmW x 80cmH x 75cmD. Would the estate be able to handle this? It's generally the height that is the problem. Also, what is the boot lip like? Obviously the crate has a door to provide access that needs to clear the boot lip to let her get in!

At the moment the crate is only used to sleep in when she stays with the inlaws, as it's too large for our 306 estate. But I would like to find a suitably sized estate that can house it permenantly for travelling. The only other options I can think of is cramming her in a smaller crate, which I don't want to do as it will also be her sleeping crate if we go away in the UK and take her with us. Or go down the 4X4 route, which provides the height, but not necessarily the depth.

Hi Pixi, Have got an Octavia 4X4 estate and have just measured the boot, I think its a non starter. The lip is 15 cms deep so you would need to fit the false floor available as an option; but then there is not enough height to get an 80 cm crate in. The width is just OK at a little bit over 100cms but with the back seat angle as it is the crate would be through the back window. It would probably fit without the false floor but then you couldnt open the cage door! I know mine is a 4X4 but my last car was two wheel drive and the boot size is exactly the same. I have a 15 cm foam pad on the boot floor with an old sleeping bag on top, my two just curl up on that.

How about changing the door of the crate so it hinges from the top rather than the side ? You'd probably want to have some kind of stay or prop to hold the door open. Another possibility is to get a crate custom made - it has to be cheaper to get a different crate rather than buying a car to suit a crate.

Remember you will want to be able to remove the crate to get access to the spare wheel if you have a flat.

Thanks for the ideas. I couldn't change the situation of the openings, they are currently on the side and the end and there is no way it could go on top. She's a 30 kilo lab!

A custom made one might be the way we have to go, but then we'd have to take her other one folded up for any UK hols as custom made ones tend to be built into the car.

How about a Yeti? Might give you the extra height, although she might have to share the boot with the spare wheel if you wanted one.

Only thing that will take a box of those sort of dimensions is a van I reckon... Get a VW transporter and stick a Skoda logo into the middle of the steering wheel and you won't be able to tell the difference :P...