Car serviced yesterday, Now idling funny, vRS

Hey guys, had my second variable service yesterday with brake fluid change on my vRS.

Didnt notice anything on way home (had stereo on) but today ive noticed the car is very lumpy at idle, it goes from around 700rpm at idle and will raise to 1500 then drop again then raise then drop.

Standing by the exhaust it kind of burbles not exactly pops but u can hear its lumpy like its missing on a cylinder or something.

The car is fine at speed, appears to be no loss in power.

As i said car has been perfect until the service yesterday, obviously ill be taking it back on monday but anyone got any ideas? does it sound like they had messed something up while doing the service?

Not sure about limp mode as i've never had it but that's what it sounds like.

Have you had the Car remapped etc or is it Standard.

You really need to get it to the Dealers or at least someone with VCDS

We could sit here guessing all day but it could be a whole host of issues i.e.

Coilpacks

MAF Sensor

ECU Update (if applied)

Etc etc

Do you have access to VCDS as that will show any fault codes. If you do post them up.

BTW im not having a go if it sounds like it im just saying it will be easier with a Diagnostic check to figure out the Problem :)

Carl:thumbup:

I dont have VCDS nope.

Car is totaly standard at moment.

Ill be taking it back to the dealer tommorow and telling them the car was fine until they done their service.

Im just hoping they dont try to say it wasnt them or try and charge me for it,

I know it could genuinly be something that has gone, but STRAIGHT after a service? where they check everything? seems a little odd

Just stick to your Guns and tell them the problem started when you got home. As they aren't open on a Sunday this was the first opportunity you had to get it back to them.

Have you had the car from new? If so you have 3 years Skoda Assist so you could get the RAC to come out and diagnose the Fault before you go. They will also advise as to wether it should be towed to the Dealer or it's safe to drive.

Ive been at work all weekend so literatly will be first chance I get.

I didnt get it from them as new i got it with 7k on the clock, however i am a member of the RAC, think its worth getting them to come out first or should i jsut drive it to them?

How old is the car?

If it's under 3 years old you get 3 years Skoda Assist (which is currently covered by the RAC) so call them. If not then yes call out the RAC off your policy.

It might be something innocuous and easily fixed but why risk doing serious damage. At the very least the RAC will be able to tell you what the problem is. You never know they may even be able to fix it.

If you have a Policy which will come to your home then call them now. If not drive about a mile tomorrow and then call them.

if its just been serviced then the ecu would have been reset and when this happens the car has to re learn your style of driving and will take 100-200 miles to learn and possible another 100 miles to very fine tune itself.

if still worried then as its under warrenty take it back and tell them you are not happy since the grease monkeys have been climbing about on it :rofl:

As above, get it checked out.

Lumpy idle is a characteristic of a coilpack problem, as I recently found out. But you should also notice it on the move too, with a hesitancy while accelerating.

But as Carl says, it could be any number of possible issues. Best to get the car scanned for faults and then go from there.

Steve

Thanks for replys.

I had the RAC out earlier, its not "miss firing" instead its running lean, he seems to think there might be a blockage in the fuel line, or fuel filter, or possibl the MAF unit, he was getting faults on all cylinders but were only appearing when he disconnected the maf, when he plugged it back in it would run ok for a split second then start again.

Well ill take it to the dealer tommorow see what happends, fingers crossed its not expensive anyway

Hopefully not mate.

MAF sensor was on my list as your symptoms didn't really go with coil pack failure (unless a couple had gone)

Let us know how you get on.

Ok taken in this morning, they said theres not enough air getting to the engine or something, checked lots of stuff checked for blockages etc and cant find out why, so they want it back in the morning to spend the morning on it, they reckon it will be ok to drive? and sent me home

Hmm sounds like it's the MAF to me as it was ok when plugged back in for a couple of secs then started playing up.

Can't think of anything else especially if nothing is blocked.

Are they sorting it FOC??

Thats what i tohught about the MAF but i would of though they would of checked.

FOC? if you mean are they gonna charge me im not sure i said to the guy about it and he sort of said well at the moment we cant tell if its due to the service or if something has just gone...

if they try and charge me i might just see if i can meet them half way, Just hope they fix it tommorow

I'd put forward quite firmly that this wasn't an issue before service, so it seems like quite a strange coincidence! And that you want a full run-down of what they've investigated and what the outcome was.

Seems to me, perhaps cynically, that they've already started palming you off, and giving you vague explanations. Do you even know the outcome of the initial diagnostic tests, for example? I would be asking for these. The more technical information you ask for, the more difficult it will be for them (if they have made a mistake or error during service of course - innocent until proven guilty and all that :)).

Steve