call me stuped!!!! but....

pinkskud

Not the early ones! They started off as coupe's or mb's with v8's and race car suspension bolted on. As the racing progressed they ended up as shells on gt racers. There is a group trying to get these back on track as a form of historic motorsport.

Not the ones I saw in Scotland, and this being Scotland, general admission to the circuit always included a paddock pass. I've actually worked on several race cars just as being handy and willing to help out between qualifying and the start of racing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the early ones! They started off as coupe's or mb's with v8's and race car suspension bolted on. As the racing progressed they ended up as shells on gt racers. There is a group trying to get these back on track as a form of historic motorsport.

Mmmm.....I have never heard of this. The super saloons were built for a competetive series that was all space framed road car replicas, I dont think any actual road based cars were ever used because it wasnt that type of racing.

Mmmm.....I have never heard of this. The super saloons were built for a competetive series that was all space framed road car replicas, I dont think any actual road based cars were ever used because it wasnt that type of racing.

Big Bertha and Baby Bertha for 2.

The very first Skoda Supersaloon, or should that be 'Special Saloon ?,based on a S110R Coupe, used the roadcar's central tub, strengthened of course, with suspenion and transaxle subframes added front and rear.

ss06.jpg

ss05.jpg

ss04.jpg

ss02.jpg

It was sponsored by Skoda Great Britain and featured regularly in their in-house customer magazine.

Big Bertha and Baby Bertha for 2.

Neither of which had very much to do with the road cars they came from....Baby Bertha was no more than a Magnum shaped car. The Skoda is the same by the look of it.....using the chassis backbone doesnt really count as a road car based vehcile I dont think.

The pictured Skoda in the earliest spec had rear floor and bulkhead removed as necessary for a mid-engine Yank V8 installation, but around that and the rest of the cockpit with hefty race cage was the original steel bodyshell. I know, I sat in it - even tried to buy it but ,due to size of dream being inversely proportional to funding, didn't. Oh well, crap occurs.

In the same vein then, how can you possibly compare an n/a diesel to (anything!!) an petrol n/a? Turbo derv & n/a petrol is a fair enough comparison to me. Pity that modern petrols are total crap unless they're blown - bloody emissions - grrrr

SEAT ALTEA :confused: JUST GOT RID OF MINE WHY DID I BY IT GOD ONLY KNOWS:thumbdwn:

To be honest I was just pointing the guy in the direction of the super saloons for a bit of inspiration, they look pretty good and if you are going to chop a car about you might as well go for it and create something mega.

I would chop the front and rear end off and build some space frames out to hang the suspension and engine/gearbox from. All the floor pan and rear bulk head would go and a space frame rollcage with some box section for the engine mounting would be added. Add chevy v8 and race gearbox.

Easy......

Haven't been on the forum in a while so only just spotted the thread. Pinkskud - your original plan sounds like a top scheme to me, mate. Sort of thing I'd be doing if I lived in the middle of nowhere instead of in inner London (but then I wouldn't have most of my work so couldn't afford to do it - why is life so unfair, whinge, whinge...). Anyway, good luck and report back!

To be honest I was just pointing the guy in the direction of the super saloons for a bit of inspiration, they look pretty good and if you are going to chop a car about you might as well go for it and create something mega.

I would chop the front and rear end off and build some space frames out to hang the suspension and engine/gearbox from. All the floor pan and rear bulk head would go and a space frame rollcage with some box section for the engine mounting would be added. Add chevy v8 and race gearbox.

Easy......

Indeed..it would be quality.....but with my feet firmly on the ground, pinkskud doesnt even have the car yet and this whole thread is yet another internet fantasy that probably isnt going anywhere.....but I would love to be wrong and see something special!

thanks for the super saloon tip. thats an intresting idea.

the project will happen, as and when we finish the corrado (bogged down with electronics at the mow) and i have a job again. so be prepaired for an epic thread bump in a year or so.