Fabia VRS - Speaks/Stereo Upgrade

Heeeeey again!

I tried searching the forum for a thread on this before postiong but had no luck, perhaps I didn't try hard enough? :rotz:

Anyway, I am wanting to upgrade the sound system in my VRS because the stereo does not work all that well, it seems to have a mind of it's own at times. Can someone please give me a guide or tell me how hard it is to do? As my boyfriend will be attempting this in the next couple of days.

:thumbup:

Tankies peeps!

xxx

The entire system?as in speakers as well?

Well the HU is very simple to remove,cut two thin strips out of an old credit card or the like,push them into the gaps on the front of the HU,take out the cubby holder beneath the HU and pull!

The component speakers are equally as simple,remove the covers,which are just clipped on AFAIK,same with the parcel shelf speakers.These speakers should just simply be held in by nuts and bolts.

If your going as far as upgrading speakers,id reccommend buying an amp as well,maybe even a sub.Higher output speakers wont offer much improvement over the standard speakers without a decent amp to power them.And the sub would just be for some more bass!:)The amp would be trickier to fit,as it needs bolted down somewhere,wired properly etc

As Conor says HU pops out easy - although a set of Kenwood HU removal keys will do the trick much easier than the credit card DIY system.

With regards to the speakers i'm not sure although i rememebr reading somewhere on here that theres a problem with upgrading door speakers as they've only got very thin housings.

**edit*** found the thread

Tbh the standard head unit is fine. Buy an RCA preout as i was recommended on here. i put 6x9's and a sub in the back, disconnected the rear speakers, but kept the rear tweeters (there on the rear doors but wired to the rear)

Use the following settings

Balance 0-0

Fade 0-0

Bass 0 (this is what your sub is for not your speakers)

Treble 3

On the amp put the high pass filter on. (this stops bass going to your 6x9s)

On these settings the front standard speakers will hold level 30 on the HU with no distortion.

Hope this makes sense lol...

I wouldn't go spending a load of money straight away. You'll find a marked improvement in sound just by upgrading the headunit. I'd spend a bit and get a good quality headunit and try that first before you start swapping speakers.

I had a JVC HU in my previous fabia, to replace the tape-deck. However, since moving to the vRS, I haven't installed it - the sound it produced in the prev Fab was far inferior to the standard slot/cd player in the vRS.

however, now i've said this, it's given me ideas about trying it out again!:rofl:

upgrade headunit, if thats still not good enough amp the front components and have a sub in the back

do not get 6x9's

Agreed.

I have upgraded my head unit (alpine DVA-9965R) and installed DLS Iridium components (those took some work to fit) couple of amps (3) with a sub built into the spare wheel hole and a couple of 5" focal subs under the glove box in the front.

No rears running.

Sound stage is superb, but the work involved was monstrous.

Depends what you after really.

I have upgraded my head unit (alpine DVA-9965R) and installed DLS Iridium components (those took some work to fit) couple of amps (3) with a sub built into the spare wheel hole and a couple of 5" focal subs under the glove box in the front.

:eek:

:thumbup:

Hit caraudiosecurity! they have head unit refurbs for cheap :thumbup:

I just bought myself an active sub for 120 from there and had it installed elsewhere, transformed the sound in the car.. Sounds high end :eek:

• Like 2

I didnt want to spend the money on my Type R accord so just installed a media unit (Alpine IDX-305) with an imprint box, and quite frankly the transformation is unbelievable. The sound stage is lifted and the sound is much richer even on basic speakers.

Has to be heard to be believed and is a cheap upgrade.

As others have said the standard head unit is "fine", but I'm guessing like some of us you want better than "fine". A simple head unit upgrade will definitely transform the sound. I upgraded to a relatively cheap Pioneer unit with Aux-in (for my iPod) and USB-in (which I've yet to use) and it sounds SOOO much better than the standard unit. Standard speakers sound so much better as well, but you can decide if you eventually want to upgrade these at a later time. Many people find the standard speakers are decent enough, just depends on how far you want to go. Only thing I might do in the future is add an amp and sub to improve the low end. And road noise still remains an issue in the vRS at speed.

As for a guide, there should be a LOT of info in the ICE section of this forum, as that's where I went to get some tips on installing the unit and everything you'll need. Swapping yellow/red wires, powering the aerial booster, aerial adapter and fascia are a few things you'll want to find out about. A bit of a tight fit, but it's a simple enough job (seeing as I was able to do it). Have fun!

Well, since so many have said just change the HU first, that's what I'll do.

I do think the system in the car at the moment is good, don't get me wrong but, the stereo has a mind of it's own. If I go to turn up the sound, sometimes it will work and other times It will turn it down instead, very bizarre.

As for subs, I think I'll pass on them. If I do end up changing the speakers aswell, I think I'll just go for the best non 6x9's I can find! Thanks for all the tips though chaps, much appreciated!!

• 5 years later...