Poor starting - prime pump in tank ?

My local garage is trying to locate why my 1.9TD is taking so long to start, both hot and cold. They've checked the heater plugs and everything is OK there so they are suspicious that there is a fuel problem. They are asking if there is a prime pump in the tank . Can anyone help on that please.

Thanks

Rob

Why would a garage by asking a customer for this sort of information? I'd be suspicious about what else they don't know about your car. Perhaps you should be looking to take it to a different garage......

By heater plugs, I assume they mean glow plugs.

Even in Edinburgh, I doubt that they are needed at this time of year. IIRC, it has to be below 7degC before they receive any power.

My guess is that they don't have any experience with VAG diesels.

A common cause of problems related to starting is an air leak in the fuel lines that allow air in and so the fuel to drain back to the tank.

Worth checking before paying people to look at it. This can be done by smearing a bit of vaslene over the joins and seeing if it improves.

Thanks Guys - I think the fuel pump relay would effect normal running as well (erratically). The air leak allowing fuel to run back into the tank is the most likely as the poor starting is from cold and from warm after a 30 minute gap or so.

I wasn't aware of the fuel filter O ring - do I take it that that has to be purchased as a separate item ? In a 10 year old car that does sound like a distinct possibility and a fully justified replacement.

Rob