Help With Shopping List

Jimbo vRS

Hey folks,

I've been lurking in this section for a little while now and think I've managed to absorb all the info I need for the task at hand but was just wondering if someone could sanity check my plan, if possible.

The old girl (Black Magic Octavia) is comming up to 5 years old now, and the paintwork could really use some attention. There's the usual collection of swirl marks, plus some light scratches (I think these a really cosmetic as I can remove *most* of the evidence by rubbing it with a wet finger). Added to those, the paintwork has the texture of the bottom of a budgies cage :eek:

Washing and claying I'm fine with, it's the products to use next that confuse the hell out of me. I'm assuming that claying will completely remove the Supaguard protection that I had applied from new (if it's not already evaporated/disintegrated etc...) and I'll need to put some new protection on.

I've been reading through all of the threads here, and this is what I think I'm going to go for. Does this lot sound about right before I go and blow a small fortune? Stuff I need to buy is marked. All products will be applied by hand as I dan't have access to a polisher.

The Plan:

• Go over the paint with AG Super Resin Polish (would need to buy this, is there anything better?) to attempt to remove/mask the worst of the swirl marks, and get rid of some light scratches down one side. I've already got some AG Paint Renovator as well if the SRP isn't up to the job. Would I need to use the SRP on top of the Paint Renovator (if I have to resort to it)?
  • Two coats of Jetseal 109 (to be bought)
  • Two (More/Less?) coats of Collonite 476S (to be bought)

I also need to sort my alloys out as I don't think they've been properly cleaned in a while (well, ever really). Once I've got the muck off, I was thinking a couple of coats of Chemical Guys Wheel Guard (to be bought) should do the trick. Is it worth (or even possible) sticking a couple of coats of Jetseal on them first?

Then there's the interior, but that's a whole seperate weekend I think...

Any tips or advice gratefully recieved.

J.

For the wheels I'd recommend getting a dedicated wheel cleaner first to make sure all the small black dust pockets have been removed.

Ideally remove the wheel from the car. I've also seen people clay their wheels too but I havne't tried this personally.

For the wheels I'd recommend getting a dedicated wheel cleaner first to make sure all the small black dust pockets have been removed.

Ideally remove the wheel from the car. I've also seen people clay their wheels too but I havne't tried this personally.

Cheers, that was the plan (removing them), but looking at the state of them; I suspect sandblasting may be more effective :(

Have got some AG Wheel Cleaner and a used clay bar ready. And a spare can of WD40 if they fail to do it.

I've read it's safe to use cleaner wax on alloys as well and have an old bottle of megs stuff that could be put to use if required.

Is it also possible to use the AG polish/renovator on alloys if the much still isn't shifting?

I would definitely recommend claying the wheels - that should help shift most of the really ingrained deposits.

I don't think you need Jetseal, Collinite and Wheel Guard.

If buying two of them, my preference would be Collinite on the bodywork (after the AG renovator and SRP) and Jetseal on the alloys.

If you really want to minimise your spend and only go for one of the three, I think you could easily use Collite on both the paintwork and the wheels - I've done that in the past.

Spend what you save on something like Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer (Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer) that will help you keep your car looking good after future washes

If you're actually shopping for stuff then the SRP will be ok but don't expect miracles. Your only really going to get a really good finish by machine polishing. As for protection I'd use Jetseal for both you alloys and paintwork and keep your spending down - its really good stuff and very durable. I know the Collinite is good as well but if I was going to buy anything else I'd get some Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish - it looks great on black magic and it's a doddle to apply.

For your wheels it sounds like a refurb may be best but some Billberry wheel cleaner may be worth a shot to see how much crap that can shift.

Oh, and use some good foam applicator pads and microfibre cloths buff off.

It's probably best buying all your stuff form somewhere like Elite Car Care or Clean Your Car rather than taking a trip to Halfrauds.

A wheel refurb would be good as I'd like them recoloured as well, but funds are a little way off for that. Same with machine polishing, hence the need for a polish with some fillers.

Are you suggesting the Wet Mirror Finish instead of the Collinite? How hard wearing is it? Ideally, I'd like something that doesn't need renewing *that* often.

So far, it looks like SRP > Jetseal > Collinite on the car, and a couple of layers of Jetseal on the alloys. And some megs UQD for the washes inbetween.

Although I've just been reading about glazes... christ this gets expensive very quickly!! :(

Thanks for all the help so far.

Everyone's opinions on this will be slightly different but here's my take on it.

Personally don't rate the wet mirror finish..doesn't add anything to the finish IMO & has rubbish durability.

Again wouldn't bother with a glaze as above it won't make a difference on a lacquered car...if you had a single stage red Corsa or MR2 for example then that's a different matter.

Good combo's:-

Super Resin - Extra Gloss Protection

Super Resin - Collinite

No need for the Jetseal inbetween the above as both combo's offer good durability & to top-up you only need to do the EGP or Collinite.

EGP & Collinite both ok for the alloys but IME a dedicated wheel guard offers better protection and ease of washing especially after 2+ layers as it designed to deal with the heat generated by the brakes/wheels etc.

A wheel refurb would be good as I'd like them recoloured as well, but funds are a little way off for that. Same with machine polishing, hence the need for a polish with some fillers.

Are you suggesting the Wet Mirror Finish instead of the Collinite? How hard wearing is it? Ideally, I'd like something that doesn't need renewing *that* often.

So far, it looks like SRP > Jetseal > Collinite on the car, and a couple of layers of Jetseal on the alloys. And some megs UQD for the washes inbetween.

Although I've just been reading about glazes... christ this gets expensive very quickly!! :(

Thanks for all the help so far.

This thread might help (or confuse) with a choice for black cars: Post up pics of black cars - Detailing World

On my black magic Fabia, I have 2 base coats of Jetseal and then it gets a monthly coat of Dodo Blue Velvet if I'm not pushed for time, or a coat of Wet Mirror Finish if I am. With WMF you can do the whole car in about 20 mins but it's nothing like as durable as Collinite.

I'd definitely recommend Jetseal for your alloys, its a tough as boots and is really durable.

Just thought - not sure how big your Kit bag is ATM but ASDA have 6 microfibre towls for £3 - which personally I think is a steal. Their not as big as some others (Meg's springs to mind) but do the job just as well.

Also don't forget about Halfrauds 3 for 2 offer. I got some great meguiars products from there as it worked out overall cheaper! :D

Product wise I've only used Meg's Tech Wax 2.0 and while it's still beeding ATM alot of people say it doesn't last as long asother brands. Also don't worry about your supaguard protection - chances are if your car is over a year or two old and you've washed it a few times it's been removed.

One last thing. Buy a rain repleant glass cleaner (again I use meg's but there are others out there). keeps the glass clean and adds to the over all beeding effect after it rains :)

Thanks for all the input guys.

KR MAN - That thread didn't help much with choosing products, but I spent a good half an hour drooling over some lovely cars, so it wasn't a complete waste of time :D

Chris - Thanks for tip re: glazes. Think I'll save some cash and give it a miss this time round. Can always get one to try next time.

Wilsonian - I'm off to Halfords and Asda at lunch then. Cheers for the tip.

Andy - I tried detailing the spare over the weekend, and claying seems to have done the trick on the front of the wheel, bought it up almost like new :thumbup: I think I need something stronger to get rid of all the tar and muck on the rear though which has resisted all of my efforts so far.

Thanks for all the advice guys,