Superb in China (LED rear lights)

To avoid all the problems and issues above is anyone going to try these if they are just  plug and play with no coding, errors, wiring cutting etc? And wil be easy to fit i assume

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-Combi-09-13-original-Skoda-Autoas-LED-tail-lights-conversion-kit

Good find!

It's a shame they don't do the same package for the Twindoor / Limousine.

• 2 months later...

I've emailed Superskoda to ask if the new KOPACEK (KI-R) modules that they now list as a package together with the combi LED rear light clusters are compatible with the limousine (twindoor) LED rear light clusters.

Here is the listing for the combi LED's and modules...

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-Combi-09-13-original-Skoda-Autoas-LED-tail-lights-conversion-kit

superskoda_zps3a4a0ac5.jpg

s2c-ledl_zpsfcf69445.jpg

s2c-ledl3_zps27def721.jpg

Note that it says that they are NOT suitable for the limousine (twindoor). This is strange as when you watch the 'install' video the connectors appear to be physically identical. I can only assume the functionality of the combi rear light clusters is different to those of the limousine (twindoor) rear light clusters, although again I'm not sure why, the only LED functions on both body shapes are the tail (night) lights and brake lights.

The reason for my renewed interest is that my limousine (twindoor) LED clusters are letting in water. When they arrived (from China) the outer lens on the nearside cluster was not properly sealed. I closed the seal with silicone sealant but moisture is still entering the cluster. The plan now is to buy genuine clusters from Skoda and the LED modules from Superskoda - if I can confirm that they will work in the limousine (twindoor)!

IMG_5966_zpse735cf4c.jpg

IMG_5965_zps6bbe2063.jpg

IMG_5964_zpsc2833682.jpg

IMG_5963_zpse141a977.jpg

Yes, that's why I want some more, the non LED rear lights on the twindoor (in my opinion) are pretty poor, especially the brake lights.

This time I don't want the hassle of non-genuine clusters combined with wiring and soldering in resistors to clear the blown-bulb warning.

If I can confirm that the the KI-R module from Superskoda works on the twindoor LED clusters I'll buy a pair together with a pair of LED clusters from Skoda.

Hmm, good find Enriquez, seems that Superskoda haven't quite got it right.

It looks like in order to generate the start-up power needed for the LED tubes they've had to up the brightness which results in the brake lights and fog lights illuminating slightly. 

Not good, although they claim only 12 out of 86 customers have complained :o

Did I show it to You before ... don't remember...

Maybe it can be done with AN module at Your dealer, or using VAS & erwin service.

LED+Sedan.bmp

Edited by Enriquez

Have ordered these: will let the forum know how it goes when they arrive :hi:

I did say I'd report back when they arrived.  A combination of excess work, not to mention the fact that SuperSkoda failed to ship them when promised, has meant that I haven't done so until now.

Hmm, good find Enriquez, seems that Superskoda haven't quite got it right.

It looks like in order to generate the start-up power needed for the LED tubes they've had to up the brightness which results in the brake lights and fog lights illuminating slightly. 

Not good, although they claim only 12 out of 86 customers have complained :o

I've had them fitted now for a fortnight and I'm pretty happy with them.  The brake lights are, indeed, slightly illuminated but as far as I'm aware the fog light (singular) is not.  They did warn me prior to (finally) dispatching them that they'd had a number of complaints and that for an RHD car I might have to reverse the control modules from their left and right markings (I didn't).  The descriptions of the partially illuminated brakes sound rather worse than it actually is and I'm perfectly happy driving around with them without worrying about being pulled over for showing odd lights. 

Installation was rather more awkward than the SuperSkoda video suggested.  Everything is plug-and-play, no problems there, but getting the magnetic control module into the void through the aperture is :@ difficult, even for my small fingers.  A little bit extra length on the cables would have made this so much easier.  I certainly think that getting them back out again would be very difficult without unscrewing the magnetic part, at the very least. 

Anyway, I think the lights look great, day and night, and have added LED indicators to them.  I also have a pair of LED reversing bulbs which I'll fit when I've got time.  All I need now is LED indicators for the front... :sun:

m.

Did I show it to You before ... don't remember...

Maybe it can be done with AN module at Your dealer, or using VAS & erwin service.

LED+Sedan.bmp

You did mention something, but that I'd need to update the control module.

I don't have easy access to VCDS or much in the way of a helpful / understanding dealer so this is why I'm more keen to go down the road of these Superskoda modules.

Worst case scenario I'll buy the genuine clusters and wire in the resistors myself as I did with the current lights...

IMG_5178_zpsab381417.jpg

If I'm honest I'm not sure why Superskoda are struggling so much. The only purpose of the module is to clear the blown-bulb warning. The functionality of the combi LED clusters is no different to those of the twindoor. I managed this with 2x resistors off eBay, the only issue was the time taken to wire them in.

LEDRearLights_zps5375eb06.jpg

Edited by silver1011

could You please describe the pin assignments in the led cluster socket's?

I think I can try to check the coding in my garage using some LED from electronics shop :D

Is the STOP light a separate LED, or just increase the brightness?

Edited by Enriquez

Any pictures!?

I'll put some up at the weekend - once I've taught my 11 year old which buttons and pedals to press to get the different lights to show.  On second thoughts, teaching him to use a camera might be a better plan :giggle:

m.

• Like 1

You did mention something, but that I'd need to update the control module.

I don't have easy access to VCDS or much in the way of a helpful / understanding dealer so this is why I'm more keen to go down the road of these Superskoda modules.

Worst case scenario I'll buy the genuine clusters and wire in the resistors myself as I did with the current lights...

IMG_5178_zpsab381417.jpg

If I'm honest I'm not sure why Superskoda are struggling so much. The only purpose of the module is to clear the blown-bulb warning. The functionality of the combi LED clusters is no different to those of the twindoor. I managed this with 2x resistors off eBay, the only issue was the time taken to wire them in.

LEDRearLights_zps5375eb06.jpg

I thought you currently do have LED lamps? Or is it when you had the bump you've now got to get some more units? 

Ahh just seen you said you've got some water ingress... 

• Like 1

could You please describe the pin assignments in the led cluster socket's?

I think I can try to check the coding in my garage using some LED from electronics shop :D

Is the STOP light a separate LED, or just increase the brightness?

My clusters are Chinese so I'm not convinced they are genuine.

The lower row (marked all-yellow) illuminate at full brightness when the night (tail) lights are turned on. This is wrong, looking at a genuine rear cluster fitted to a UK L&K model the lower row should be dimmed as with the rest of the LED's (marked green & yellow).

SkodaSuperbTailLights1_zpsbb372d14.jpg

Despite the lower row being at brake light brightness all of the time it doesn't look odd as the double row offset the overall light output.

What a shame about the water ingress in those Chinese clusters, after the effort you went to source and install them.

They looked pretty good too. Interesting that there now seems to be a solution to the coding of the rear LED clusters.....albeit a complete replacement of the BCM. 

I thought that the lower row would be brighter to blend in with the upper rows. So much investigation has gone into one set of lights. 

As it happens that is exactly what it does! 

The brighter single row matches the light output of the twin rows above it making the unique Skoda 'C' shape the same continuous brightness all the way around.

When the upper rows increase in brightness when the brakes are applied you still also get the full 'C' shape.

• Like 1

What a shame about the water ingress in those Chinese clusters, after the effort you went to source and install them.

They looked pretty good too. Interesting that there now seems to be a solution to the coding of the rear LED clusters.....albeit a complete replacement of the BCM. 

Strangely I quite enjoyed wiring in the resistors, it took me a few hours but at least I knew it was done right.

If I had VCDS I might have explored the option to upgrade the BCM and then changing the hex coding in byte 18, as it happens I think I'll simply buy another set and spend a morning cutting, splicing, soldering and heat shrinking :giggle:

Those from china are original as well. I presume yours got knock somewhere and broke the seal thus water seep thru.

As for those from superskoda, it's different. The Combi have reverse and fog light in the same cluster and the twin door have theirs in separate cluster.

You have done the wiring, I suppose u should have know better.

I've emailed Superskoda to ask if the new KOPACEK (KI-R) modules that they now list as a package together with the combi LED rear light clusters are compatible with the limousine (twindoor) LED rear light clusters.

Here is the listing for the combi LED's and modules...

superskoda_zps3a4a0ac5.jpg

s2c-ledl_zpsfcf69445.jpg

s2c-ledl3_zps27def721.jpg

Note that it says that they are NOT suitable for the limousine (twindoor). This is strange as when you watch the 'install' video the connectors appear to be physically identical. I can only assume the functionality of the combi rear light clusters is different to those of the limousine (twindoor) rear light clusters, although again I'm not sure why, the only LED functions on both body shapes are the tail (night) lights and brake lights.

The reason for my renewed interest is that my limousine (twindoor) LED clusters are letting in water. When they arrived (from China) the outer lens on the nearside cluster was not properly sealed. I closed the seal with silicone sealant but moisture is still entering the cluster. The plan now is to buy genuine clusters from Skoda and the LED modules from Superskoda - if I can confirm that they will work in the limousine (twindoor)!

IMG_5966_zpse735cf4c.jpg

IMG_5965_zps6bbe2063.jpg

IMG_5964_zpsc2833682.jpg

IMG_5963_zpse141a977.jpg

I suppose u should have know better.

I'll put your encouraging post down to the distance between us  :giggle:  

Your point on the KI-R module though is a good one. The power feed for the twindoors fog and reverse lights will be from a seperate source routed through the boot lid itself which will explain why it is not suitable for use on this model.

Edited by silver1011

• 3 weeks later...