Mild Creaking Noise - Front Driver's Side Wheel

Greetings all,

I'm hearing a mild creaking noise from the front driver's wheel area when going over rougher ground, speed bumps, etc. Nothing too bad - and it's been doing it for a while without getting worse. Not noticeable in cooler / wetter weather.

From searching the threads, it seems quite common ... anti roll bar bushes need replacing?

Is this the likely correct diagnosis? And, what sort of cost would this entail (I'm not capable of doing it myself)? Or, is there any possibility that a bit of lubricating would remove / reduce the creaking for a while?

Thanks,

D.

No expert but sounds like arb bushes. The arb's also rust etc and cause creaking. If you replace the ARB would have thought it would be a couple hours labour as I think they have to drop sub frame so will also need wheel aligment.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice here.

We took the car into the garage today. They drove it for 20 minutes and couldn't hear any creaking noise. I went in on the way home from work and took the mechanic for a drive, and neither could I! Typical.

He did say it was probably the drivers side front arb bush, but didn't want to change anything if he hadn't heard the problem. Fair enough. (He also quoted £7 + half an hour's labour to change the bush, if needed).

What is interesting is that the noise only seems apparant in hot weather (and it was the really hot weather at the end of August which made it loud enough for us to notice and want to do something about). What's all that about?

I have the same creaking problem. Took the car to the dealers when under warranty and they couldnt hear anything. That was two years ago. Noise is still there and the car has now done 60K. Only hear it after a spell of dry weather. If I take the car to the car wash and jet wash around the wheel arches, it goes away for a week or two (not very technical I know but it works). There's loads of posts on here about it. For me, its not a major problem (although a bit annoying) as its only speed bumps that cause it, so I dont hear it very often.