Cost of gearboxes

SAJNA

Am looking to replace the JNC Code gearbox in my Fabia vRS SE to the earlier "long box" Code FSM. I need to do this as the longer gearing helps my learner drivers (I'm an instructor) plus the fact that I do thousands of miles a month on the motorway and I need that "long" sixth gear. I have been quoted £1200 plus VAT for a new one, but does anyone have any idea what the JNC box would be worth so that I could claw some of that outlay back. The car it's coming out of is the Special Edition model (2007) and only has 23,000 on the clock, so virtually a brand new box for somebody???

Any ideas or estimates anybody????

Edited by SAJNA
misspelling

No idea on milage although was assured it was from a average miler 2006 with a rear end shunt so i assume 60k max

It was a gamble although i was quoted scary money for rebuild as most garages wouldnt do it until i commited to clutch and flywheel due to mine sitting at 80k

I found a great mechanic who had it delivered to his garage and fitted it for £200

I have already used him again (cambelt kit and water pump, oil etc) his honesty and willingness to help will get him a fair bit of work

First and second gears are considerably shorter in my 07 car than in my 04 one. If it was only sixth gear different, I wouldn't bother. First is so short, you can pull away from a standstill on most occasions in second. Hate it! Don't know why they changed the boxes, the original one was brilliant, and that sixth gear is a beauty on the 04 car, purrs along at 2500rpm at 100mph+, the 07 car is revving it's nuts off at that speed!!!

I have to agree, and I own one of the later boxes, your talking 3,100rpm @ 100mph whilst they earlier box sits at 1,900rpm @ 70mph which is awesome...

Its not just 6th that is different, 4th is a big gear and is different too!