Newbie with lots of questions !

percymon

Hi everyone, great forum !! :thumbup::thumbup:

I currently have an old Golf TDI 1.9 90bhp workhorse, that takes me from N to S.Wales and back every week (250mile round trip). Bit rusty round the edges but pulls like a train after 148k miles ;). Its a scrappage candidate so i'm looking at a Fabia or a Roomster as a possible replacement.

I have a budget of £13k on a new car, so the 1.9TDi engine on the Roomster is ruled out unfortunately. I'm considering a 1.4 16v 85bhp Scout, or a 1.4 TDi80 SE.

My commute is normally evening rushhour one way, where overtaking is limited in the heavier traffic times to pretty much dual carriageway sections only. The other way i start out at 5:30am so traffic is light other than the odd HGV and slow car, and the final section as the school run starts is mainly dual carriageway and local roads. Overtaking isn't a massive issue, but it is useful for the odd HGV, and i don't tend to hang around either :D

So questions..

1. Has anyone chipped a 1.4TDi and what figures are easily and safely achieveable ?? 95bhp would be nice, and given the block is 3/4 what i already have i hope its robust. Tuning boxes appeal for their easy removal for servicing, although i realise they are generic maps.

2. Other than the obvious ability of the Roomster to carry a childs bike as well as the normal regalia for a weekend away (me, partner, her 7yr old son and a small dog - called Scout lol!!) why else would i want the Roomster over the cheaper Fabia ??. We don't bother with a bike now in the Golf so the Fabia would be pretty comparable in capacity ?

3. I've seen a 08 plate 1.4TDi 2 with 5k miles in a car supermarket - £9295. OK its not new, the interior needs a valet, but externally it looks fine - is this a better buy given i could flog the Golf for £500 or so, leaving me £8800 to change rather than £10.5k for a new one ?? Roomsters aren't exactly common outside the Skoda network so its hard to judge prices !

Many thanks :thumbup:

Sady it includes the scrappage,so £10.5k of my own money :(

After a bit of digging it appears that the likes of Tunit will give 100bhp output for £500 cost from the TDI80 version, which is a useful gain and something i'd consider after a few thousand miles running in.

Welcome to the forum.

You should have no problem getting a 1.9 tdi Roomster within your budget.

I got a new one last September for £12000 then added about £500 for metallic paint and roof rails. That was for the '3' model which was priced the same as the Scout at the time.

The Skoda dealers are offering "VAT free" deals at the moment as well. I would be really suprised if you cant wangle a 1.9TDi for that money ..

I agree. IMHO the 1.9 is worth the extra money anyhow. I also think the Roomster is better value than the Fabia based on it's flexibility

Well you must be good at bargaining as a 1.9tdi se is £13935, so i' d need £900 discount and the £2500 scrappage to be in budget and that's not going to happen idont think. Skodas vat offer takes £1735 off, so £12200 plus any part ex (£500).

Not going to happen is it ??

Don't know till you try.

It's about what I paid for mine and I had about £700's worth of options. Don't sell yourself short on the power, you will only regret it. Try driving one and see what you think.

Drive the deal will do scrappage and a further 4% off, so 1.4 petrol Scout comes out at 10250 or without scrappage and no part ex 10850.

1.9tdi se with 16s comes out at £11200 after scrappage and 4% discount so too much.

Found out about a 1.4tdi 2 on. 58 plate with 5k miles being traded in for new one today, dealer gas it ip for £8995. Fitted with park sensors and satin grey metallic. Seems a good price ??

Edited by percymon

Drive the deal will do scrappage and a further 4% off, so 1.4 petrol Scout comes out at 10250 or without scrappage and no part ex 10850.

1.9tdi se with 16s comes out at £11200 after scrappage and 4% discount so too much.

Found out about a 1.4tdi 2 on. 58 plate with 5k miles being traded in for new one today, dealer gas it ip for £8995. Fitted with park sensors and satin grey metallic. Seems a good price ??

Odd it's being traded in after so little time and mileage......

My '57 plate 1.9tdi Roomster 2 with 18k was £8200 ...

Mitchell Skoda in Chester have some used examples, 1.4 16v petrol and 1.4 Tdi - their prices seem very optimistic (£9.5k for a 57 plate 1.4TDi 80 3 with 11k miles, or a 1.4 16v 2 with 11k on 08 plate), but at least i can get a feel for the differnece in engines.

The olde Golf was superb through Wales this morning tho :(, plenty of overtaking and no-one passing me :D

Test drives booked for the 1.4 diesel and petrol tomorrow afternoon, also discussed new vs used over phone and they seemed keen to bargain. Also spotted seat are doing £4k s scrappage on leon s emotion 1.9 105bhp tdi so £10.5k that's with air con ,16" alloys etc. Not as practical as roomster tho :)

Sady it includes the scrappage,so £10.5k of my own money :(

Using the the used car search on Škoda for a Roomster/Scout 1.9tdi throws up 37 options under £12k, 6 of which are under £10,995 and with less than 20k on the clock which IMHO is Bu99er all for a diesel engine.

I would've thought you could wangle one of them down to your £10.5k budget.

I suppose it depends on how much you want a new car.

Test drives booked for the 1.4 diesel and petrol tomorrow afternoon, also discussed new vs used over phone and they seemed keen to bargain. Also spotted seat are doing £4k s scrappage on leon s emotion 1.9 105bhp tdi so £10.5k that's with air con ,16" alloys etc. Not as practical as roomster tho :)
and horrid to drive. I was lent one when mine was in dock.

Using the the used car search on Škoda for a Roomster/Scout 1.9tdi throws up 37 options under £12k, 6 of which are under £10,995 and with less than 20k on the clock which IMHO is Bu99er all for a diesel engine.

I would've thought you could wangle one of them down to your £10.5k budget.

I suppose it depends on how much you want a new car.

these two aren't very far from me, albeit goodness only knows when i'd get the time to look at them. They do represent a big saving over new for minimal miles though, and i'd hope to get £750 in part ex/discount with my trade in..

Skoda Roomster 1.9TDI PD 2 5-Dr MPV

Skoda Roomster 1.9TDI PD Scout 5-Dr MPV

few more miles on this one, but hardly leggy !

and a few miles on this one, but half the new list price.. (towbar a no-no tho)

Skoda Roomster 1.9TDI PD 3 5-Dr MPV

these two aren't very far from me, albeit goodness only knows when i'd get the time to look at them. They do represent a big saving over new for minimal miles though, and i'd hope to get £750 in part ex/discount with my trade in..

Not keen on the Scout in red TBH, but each to thier own

few more miles on this one, but hardly leggy !

Nice colour but incorrectly posted as a Scout :thumbdwn:

THIS ONE FTW it looks to have a panoramic roof :cool:

It might be worth dropping Fluffmeister a PM to see where he traded in his vRoomster :thumbup:

Edited by Jonny5ive

Not keen on the Scout in red TBH, but each to thier own

very much each to their own but i don't mind White or red tbh

Nice colour but incorrectly posted as a Scout :thumbdwn:

My poor web linking rather than skodas fault!

THIS ONE FTW it looks to have a panoramic roof :cool:

It might be worth dropping Fluffmeister a PM to see where he traded in his vRoomster :thumbup:

pano roof not a priority for me, might think differently after test tomorrow!

Thanks for the input everyone :thumbup:

Test drives done, ended up in 3 cars in the end, no pressure from salesman who let me loose on my own :D

Car 1 - Roomster 1.4Tdi 80 in 3 spec, 11k miles on 57 plate so at least run in

Engine quite charismatic, not too intrusive and generally a nice sound. Very free revving. Found i needed a few more revs than i'm used to in the Golf when pulling away but the rev counter soon swung round to 3.5-4.0k without trying :D Pretty sprightly in fairness, but once it got up to 50 it was a bit lacking. It'd accelerate in 5th easily enough to keep up with traffic flow, but even dropping to 4th didn't give me much confidence i could overtake much on the A roads of mid Wales.

2. Roomster 1.4 16v petrol in 2 spec, 08 plate, 11k miles

Noticeable quieter at tickover and on light throttle, but not an awful lot of go. Wasn't that happy to rev either, really having to thrash it to get much beyond 4.5k revs at which poiint the engine sounded strained albeit not particularly vocal. Reminded me a lot of my girlfriends Panda 1.2 - huge fun on a short trip down the lanes, but then you realise you aren't actually going very quickly at all. Clutch action was awful on this car, very high biting point, perhaps made worse by the freshly valetted and slippy plastic heel pad on the carpet flooring.

3. Fabia 1.9TDi 105 Estate in 3 spec, 08 plate, 7k miles

Quieter and not as charismatic as the 1.4Tdi, and up to 40mph not an awful lot quicker, but the extra torque showed itself by holding the acceleration through 50-70mph. Didnt feel any quicker than my olde Golf (more power but more weight with it!), but more refined (more sound deadening no doubt) and probably felt slower than it was as a result.

So some interesting learnings.

1. driving the roomster i always felt that i was dragging a box behind my seat, whereas the Fabia estate seemed to shrink around me.

2. Pano roof on the 3 was sort of nice but it did seem to exagerate the letterbox feel of the windscreen, although all cars blocked the view of the adjacent light pole at traffic lights

3. Plastic steering wheel feels AWFUL - not even any undulations at 10/2 , leather wheel so much better

4. 1.4 petrol not much performance - Skoda don't claim its a hot hatch, but with a family weighing it down it'd be a poor touring companion IMO, goodness only knows how people put up with the 1.2 engines (town use only?)

5. Ride on 15s and 16s OK - i deliberately found some big pot holes and neither caused much harshness. 15" tyres seem to give the alloys a much better kerb protection with a bulging tyrewall, whereas 16s are more upright and therefore more vulnerable.

6. Climatronic didnt seem to cope very well compared to the normal a/c in the other 2 cars

7. Maxidot computer screen distracting, normal computer much more discreet.

8. MPG on test, same route, same driving style albeit not trying to be economical..

1.4 TDi 42mpg

1.4 petrol 35mpg !

1.9 TDi 48mpg

9. Handling - Roomster rolls an awful lot on the rear end, no wonder people fit the ARB. Fabia estate felt much better but different axle arrangement i assume. The extra weight of the 1.9TDi could be felt in faster tight bends but never an issue.

What does this tell me ? - Exactly what Skoda want to tell me of course, the bigger engines are better, the Roomster is practical and roomy !, the higher the spec the better the interior and controls.

So the crunch !

Availabilty !!

Dealer searched for new order slots on system and cars in progress - not much in the way of 1.9s. A white scout with 17s on its way, and a black SE to be built next week. 1.4TDis not much better, a couple of cars being built next week, then nothing else coming through that isn't already allocated to a customer order. Order lead time quoted at 12-14 weeks. With the VAT increase on Jan 1st its a tight fit to get a car registered and delivered by end 2009. Add in the fact they reckon the scrappage money will be used up by end October.

|I think they are a bit biased with their supply / scrappage story but for sure i need to move pretty quickly if i choose the scrappage route. Trouble is now i'm leaning towards the big engine the finances and the head says second hand buy in January/Feb when sales are slow would get me a much better deal ?

Well it didn't take long for the sales guy to get back in touch !

Absolutely no movement beyond the £2.5k scrappage discount so better look elsewhere. Showrrom was busy yesterday so perhaps they have plenty of sales, but with over 40 used Skodas sat outside i'd have thought they would be prepared to do something.

Given i can get £5000 in scrappage and discount on a Golf MkVI TDi105 bringing a £17.5k car down to £12.5k it looks a muich better buy than the Roomster at the moment, given i'd be getting the latest VAG build albeit without soem of the toys and the practicality.

More thinking required !