District 9 - excellent film

Dr Zoidberg

I went to the cinema last night to see this , and was very impressed.

Considering the low budget the effects were first rate , the actors were all spot on and it's a very good storyline.

I won't spoil any of the plot for people who haven't seen it , but if you like sci-fi and aren't put off by swearing and a fair amount of gore then this is a must see.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "low budget", are we talking Bad Taste low budget or hollywood low budget?

Hollywood low budget.

There's shades of Bad Taste in some of the deaths from a style point of view rather than anything budgetary, but the Peter Jackson influence is more that the effects are of a similar standard to Lord Of the Rings

It's under 2 hours and feels about right. There is a tendency to try and stretch films to 2hrs30 whether they need it or not but this has avoided that trap.

That's good then!

If the film has enough content to last that long and keeps the pace up then fine. But to make King Kong nearly 3 hours is just wrong!

I went to see this without knowing anything about the story at all (not even the trailer), and I really enjoyed it! It was fun, and engaging all the way. I thought that the acting was good too. Some said some fight scenes were too long, but I disagreed as the fight scenarios change quite frequently and well connected.

I also recommend The Hurt Locker.

I'm itching to see this film!!

Had to stay in and babysit last night when a few I know went to see it...

My sister, who's favourite film is Dirty Dancing, even said it was excellent!!

Edited by foureyes

I was undecided. It had a slightly 'cheesy' feel to it. They tried using the cloverfield/ Blair Witch camcorder documentary approach but with some normal camera work thrown in and it felt a bit scrappy - like they couldn't really decide how they wanted to present the film.

Very gory too in places and again that felt a bit messy (forgive the pun). Almost felt like the directors were just having a bit of fun making it and very much like some of Jackons early stuff (Braindead, Bad Taste).

Interesting plot though, especially when it gets going and I reckon they could do a sequel based on the way it ended.

*cough* how was the quality? ;)

spot on, no issues with the sound, although only 2 channel, all english dialogue, i think there was just one bit where the picture went a bit blocky, but that was for a second only, and was a dark scene anyway

played it on the PS3 , viewed on Sony 40" TV

just finished watching this on DVD ;)

i also had no idea what to expect , but i enjoyed it, which is quite rare for me, very good graphics and special effects :thumbup:

Do you think you should be advertising your lawbreaking? The Pirate Police might be watching:eek:

Edited by Lady Elanore

Do you think you should be advertising your lawbreaking? The Pirate Police might be watching:eek:

Yargh! We be arrestin' ye for a Section 14 breach o' the peace! :rofl:

i have never downloaded illegally any film/file or whatever, so i don't believe i have committed any offence in that area

whether actually watching what someone has downoaded and copied to DVD disc is an offence or not , i'm not sure on that one

but the evidence has been removed from my abode now anyway :thumbup:

i have never downloaded illegally any film/file or whatever, so i don't believe i have committed any offence in that area

whether actually watching what someone has downoaded and copied to DVD disc is an offence or not , i'm not sure on that one

but the evidence has been removed from my abode now anyway :thumbup:

I think it probably is illegal to watch it and definitely illegal if you bought it from ‘a mate’. If you went for a drive in a stolen car, you could get nicked and you wouldn’t advertise that little fact on the interweb, so I suspect the law of watching stolen goods is similar (although a lesser penalty in all probability).

Just a thought