VRS CR TDI Engine

I have now got just under a thousand miles on my new Limited Edition.

So far, I am very impressed with the CR engine when I compare to my Previous VRS PD engine.

It seems much smoother, much quieter and more economical.

Yesterday I had a run from Oxford down to Whiteley (A34, M3, M27) and back. Doing a steady 80 (never more) with CC on most of the time, and according to the MFD I returned 54mpg.

Comparing this to exactly the same trip with the old PD engine, and MFD never gave me anymore than 46mpg.

Also my normal work run of 18 miles of A-Road with various speed limits (and the odd good blast) the CR is returning around 50mpg, sometimes a touch more.

Again with the PD this was normally around 43-44mpg.

And this is with less than a thousand miles, so this should get even better.

Or have I got a generous MFD this time! Next fill up will tell as I can check it properly.

How do other people find the CR170 engine?

Having come from a PD140 DSG which was poor on MPG (400-450 tops on fill ups) I agree that the fuel consumption is seems very good. Typically for the first three tanks I have reached between 450 and 480 miles, although I have found that the MPG drops considerable when you press on. This week I have been working shifts and driving briskly on the motorway I've averaged 42. I seem to remember my old PD140 manual was slightly more economical but then that had less power.

With regards to refinement it is leagues ahead of the old PD engine, although I have found a slight annoyance. When leaving work in the afternoon sometimes there is an occurrence of diesel knock when accelerating between 1.5 and 2k rpm for a couple of minutes like the timing is too advanced. Doesn’t do it when cold in the morning and seems better if I let the car idle for a minute before driving off. Other than that it’s a hoot to drive.

I'll be keen to see what my CR's like when I get it in a couple of weeks. In the Fabia I get on average about 380 miles with about 40 litres of fuel used. Works out at 43mpg. Not brilliant but I don't drive Miss Daisy very often.

I found the PD engine to be not very economical to be honest - not sure what the 105 is like but the 130, (even before I mapped it) is quite juicy in addition to being quite loud and clattery, especially compared to the CR which is like silk in comparison.

The PD170 is a totally different animal compared to the PD105/130/160 etc... An extra cam and 8 more valves to be precise. Coming from a Fabia vRS, the PD in the Octavia is a lot smoother with a much more linear power delivery. Would love to have a crack in the CR to see the difference but i find the PD170 a damn fine engine.

Has anyone noticed a power difference between the PD and CR?

Yeah I know it has a different head (with another cam and double the valves) but the injection method is the same with the unit injectors and as such you can only get a maximum of 2 injections per cycle out of it I think. With the CR engine it's a lot more (injections per cycle) so they can control noise, power and emissions through pulse frequency, timing and duration with far greater flexibility.

The PD170 must have been good as it's done them for this long but I think they've been forced into a change of tech and the use of CR due to more stringent emissions standards and people wanting a quieter diesel engine.

You're right about the 1.9's though - quite short in their power delivery, (even after a custom remap) and a little reluctant to rev compared to the 2.0. That must be down to the head design and the number of valves as the PD injectors can supply more than enough fuel.

I've gotta admit I can't wait to collect my CR in a couple of weeks. The test drives were fantastic and the car as a whole was light years ahead of the Furby in terms of build, ride quality, comfort, kit etc etc. Luxury. :)

I have done 2500 miles so far with an average of 43mpg on maxi dot, which is pretty much the same as my old 130 bhp elegance estate .But when I press on it drops to about 27mpg !

I have now got just under a thousand miles on my new Limited Edition.

So far, I am very impressed with the CR engine when I compare to my Previous VRS PD engine.

It seems much smoother, much quieter and more economical.

Yesterday I had a run from Oxford down to Whiteley (A34, M3, M27) and back. Doing a steady 80 (never more) with CC on most of the time, and according to the MFD I returned 54mpg.

Comparing this to exactly the same trip with the old PD engine, and MFD never gave me anymore than 46mpg.

Also my normal work run of 18 miles of A-Road with various speed limits (and the odd good blast) the CR is returning around 50mpg, sometimes a touch more.

Again with the PD this was normally around 43-44mpg.

And this is with less than a thousand miles, so this should get even better.

Or have I got a generous MFD this time! Next fill up will tell as I can check it properly.

How do other people find the CR170 engine?

I was beginning to doubt the accuracy of my maxidot display, as I am getting similar figures with my VRS CR 170 and I have DSG!! Sometimes I get silly figures that I refuse to believe. For instance I got 62mpg on a 20 mile trip doing between 55 70 the other day.

I was going to post regarding these very figures, doubting the accuracy of the computer.

I thought I might have made a mistake, swapping my old Petrol VRS, as I only do between 12 15K per year. Can't be bothered to do the maths, but it looks like my fears will be unfounded, seeing as the best I could get on my petrol VRS was about 38mpg.

In the next month I am getting a re map. Still undecided on which option I will take.

P torque for value or Bluefin for flexibility. I don't fancy a trip to Wolverhamton from Harrogate if my dealer reflashes the ecu.

Which ever, the economy will get even better after. Providing I don't drive like a loon.

Just refilled my car, so checked it on a brim to brim tank usage

47.53 to the gallon :). On that basis the Maxidot is about 2.5mpg generous with its reading average over the same tankful.

Still a good return IMO, as over that tankful it has had a few presses, and it is still a new engine and mpg will improve as the miles go on.

Then there is the P-Torque remap imminent as well :P

Ahhh... I picked my VRS Diesel LE Estate up yesterday (08/09/09) , it has now covered 50 miles, it just feels like it is going to pull like a train, but I am going to have to wait, only 950 miles to go...!..Having done a bit of running around yesterday, to work and back today, it is telling me 44mpg,

My 1993 2.0i Cavalier which got scrapped yesterday achieved 30 mpg on local journeys and would do 44 mpg on a run doing around 80, so it will be interesting to see how the Octavia does in comparision. I have a feeling I will not be disappointed.....

Ahhh... I picked my VRS Diesel LE Estate up yesterday (08/09/09) , it has now covered 50 miles, it just feels like it is going to pull like a train, but I am going to have to wait, only 950 miles to go...!..Having done a bit of running around yesterday, to work and back today, it is telling me 44mpg,

My 1993 2.0i Cavalier which got scrapped yesterday achieved 30 mpg on local journeys and would do 44 mpg on a run doing around 80, so it will be interesting to see how the Octavia does in comparision. I have a feeling I will not be disappointed.....

Don't bother running in, just go for it! :D

IMO - dont rip it to shreds straight off, but dont run it in lame :cool:

It's not going to get driven like it's stolen till the 1000 miles are up!

I am still occasionally giving it enough to be pushed back in the seat though....:)

My other half has found out the brakes are pretty sharp....

I had a PD140 and now have a CR170 with DSG. The engine is much quieter and the mpg better, but there's no initial kick in the pants during acceleration as there was in the 140. mpg is averaging around the 40's or in the 50's if I use cc at around the legal limit. Neither seem as fast as my first - a 1.8T Mk1 petrol with autobox though....

I had a PD140 and now have a CR170 with DSG. The engine is much quieter and the mpg better, but there's no initial kick in the pants during acceleration as there was in the 140. mpg is averaging around the 40's or in the 50's if I use cc at around the legal limit. Neither seem as fast as my first - a 1.8T Mk1 petrol with autobox though....

Same here - taking a bit of getting used from a 1.8T MkI, 2 things are making me very happy with the CR 170 engine though : the 3rd-4th gear performance holy moly, punch just when you need it for overtaking on country road. The MPG is astonishing going from the 1.8T petrol, feel like I am double the time between filling the CR 170 up.

Guys, please stop it.....I can't wait to pick mine up. This is making it worse!!!!! :D

Gonna have to stop looking at this website till it arrives as I'm getting all itchy....

:rofl:

Clocked over the 1000 miles today, so now the fun begins, cant see the next tank returning 47.5mpg :P

Another 1000 or so, then the P-Torque remap will be done

I just don't get it why fiddle with something brand new?

If it ain't broke don't fix!

BTW don't forget to ask your insurer how much they're going to add to your premium.

You need to make sure that they'll accept it as any modification such as a remap may invalidate your insurance.

I just don't get it why fiddle with something brand new?

If it ain't broke don't fix!

BTW don't forget to ask your insurer how much they're going to add to your premium.

You need to make sure that they'll accept it as any modification such as a remap may invalidate your insurance.

Always part of the plan to remap it within a couple of thousand miles. Why not......new or old, what difference does it make? Hardly breaking it anyway, just improving it

Insurance - all sorted, addition to the premium is only £60 :P

whats this turning into - the grumpy thread?

Only if it is discovered ;)

Surely then Superchip Bluefin is your best option? You can pull into the dealers and take your map off then put it back on whilst waiting at the traffic lights on the way hone having picked it up. Might be more expensive but there is a very good reason for that, they have a very comprehensive warranty. Do you really fancy driving down to Wolverhampton every time you need to re flash your ECU?

With the Bluefin you can keep he USB in the glovebox and flick easily between OEM map and extra 20/30 bhp at the tap of a button