1.9SDI Fuel consumption probs

Dee-vub

Hi Guys, I'm getting really bad fuel consumption on my 1.9SDI......my whole tank was basically on motorway and carriageway driving. I just filled up again there with the computer saying i had 5 miles left in my tank.....with me doing a grand total of 310miles from full!

Now in my oppinion, i should be gettin ALOT more than that!

Anyone give me any tips as to the common problems regarding the poor fuel consuption so i can check it out :)

Cheers, phil

Most common problem is the air filter is blocked. Easy and cheap to replace. Check tyres and rubbing brakes (feel round for a hot hub after letting car roll to a standstill). Most people can get 70 mpg without too much effort. Best of luck.

Mrs Grr has a 54 reg SDI, she has a 100 mile round trip to work every day.

Without trying this car easily does 60mpg. With some gentle driving we have seen as much as 78mpg average displayed. This is the main reason we bought this variant for her.

Gotta say... For what it is... Its brilliant.

Allways used to get 400 miles from town driving (inc brimming method) in that :S

Stop driving in diving boots!

Using the brimming method, and driving swiftly down the M5 and A39 overtaking all the way, I got 610 miles before the red light came on.

I bloody love my sdi :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I bought a 1.9sdi off ebay with 124,000 mile on the clock. last week had it serviced, a cam belt replacement and a new clutch. lovely car, in and out.

i'm suffering with the same problem.My last car was a diesel 1.6 1998 rover metro, i used to get about 110 mile for £10.

I know comparing a lesser, lighter, older car to a newer one is pretty silly. but i just think i should be getting more.

I put in £20 2 days ago, i've drove 136 mile and the fuel light has just came on.. working it out i'm getting about 46mpg.. Grr666 has almost double that!

The air filter has been changed, and i don't know what else it could be :(

I thought it might be the spark plugs, maybe replacing them might help? but I'm not that clued up about cars..

Any idea?

Diesels don't have sparkplugs, so it's unlikely to be that! ;)

Assuming the air filter's been changed (here's an old one of mine after 15,000 miles - so much for VAG's service life of 40k!)

15k_filter.jpg

...I'd be looking at tyre pressures and maybe a dose of injector cleaner for starters, and then checking if any of the sensors are playing up. Coolant Temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors can both have a negative effect on MPG if faulty.

HTH

Hi,

I bought a 1.9sdi off ebay with 124,000 mile on the clock. last week had it serviced, a cam belt replacement and a new clutch. lovely car, in and out.

i'm suffering with the same problem.My last car was a diesel 1.6 1998 rover metro, i used to get about 110 mile for £10.

I know comparing a lesser, lighter, older car to a newer one is pretty silly. but i just think i should be getting more.

I put in £20 2 days ago, i've drove 136 mile and the fuel light has just came on.. working it out i'm getting about 46mpg.. Grr666 has almost double that!

The air filter has been changed, and i don't know what else it could be :(

I thought it might be the spark plugs, maybe replacing them might help? but I'm not that clued up about cars..

Any idea?

Yeh change the plugs! Lol

hah, now i sound like a tool. the only reason i said spark plugs was because i've just seen some on ebay! (and i swear they said diesel spark plugs)!

I thought about getting the sensors checked. Do most garages have the readers? or would I have to go to somewhere specific?

I've used a bottle of Redex Diesel System Cleaner and i just hope that helps. apparently a mate said it might be because of the recent service.. maybe wait a while for it to settle down. but i don't ******* know :(

The only reason why i chose the car was because of the MPG and me being your average poor white boy who has to drive 70miles to uni. :(

Would there be anything else you can think of?

Cheers

One of these will probably be a fair investment - you won't need anything more complicated if it's just a fault with the engine:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__u380_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=203074879112&crlp=1166614147_284591_284611&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=bdd9f65e12d0a47a26c1f071fff96c01&agid=302859157&tm_kw=u380&siteid=3&MT_ID=11&tt_encode=raw&keyword=u380&geo_id=21&ff4=284591_284611

I have one myself FWIW, and for less than half of what even the most generous garage would charge for diagnostics, it's got to be worth a punt IMHO!

PS: My MPG was pretty bad for a couple of weeks after I had my battery disconnected to take my seats out to re-trim them (side airbags), so your mate might be onto something, as the ECU adapts over time to make the most of your driving style.

Man, they're all like 11-23 days delivery! Oh.. wait a minute. Kent? Not too bad. It says "All European 2004 - 2007 Diesel", would it still work on my 2000 Fabia?

And I'm guessing it's easy to check, (am i right into thinking the port/slot/adapter to check is to the right of the steering wheel? My brother has a vrs and i remember him remapping it with something plugged into the side of the steering column, if that' the same thing?)

Yeah, rather pay £20 than to have to spend more than that and the inconvenience of being car-less for a few hour too.

It might be worth me mentioning it, but my power steering is playing up (intermittent, work some days.. then doesn't other days).. could the two be related? or am i just being a total tool by even thinking that they are?

hah, now i sound like a tool. the only reason i said spark plugs was because i've just seen some on ebay! (and i swear they said diesel spark plugs)!

Diseasels have Glow plugs, so that's what it might be. However they are only used at start up and don't normally need changing. They have no service intervals, unlike spark plugs.

And I'm guessing it's easy to check, (am i right into thinking the port/slot/adapter to check is to the right of the steering wheel? My brother has a vrs and i remember him remapping it with something plugged into the side of the steering column, if that' the same thing?)

He is right, the diagnostic port is here

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/127385-on-button-pull-thingy-in-right-hand-cubby-box/page__view__findpost__p__1612583

2005_0617Image0002.jpg

One of these will probably be a fair investment - you won't need anything more complicated if it's just a fault with the engine:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__u380_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=203074879112&crlp=1166614147_284591_284611&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=bdd9f65e12d0a47a26c1f071fff96c01&agid=302859157&tm_kw=u380&siteid=3&MT_ID=11&tt_encode=raw&keyword=u380&geo_id=21&ff4=284591_284611

I have one myself FWIW, and for less than half of what even the most generous garage would charge for diagnostics, it's got to be worth a punt IMHO!

It lists various models on the Link page, which is the best for the 1.4 TDI engines.

DB.

Most other things have been mentioned that I could have guessed at being the issue. If your up to it, consider cleaning the EGR sensor. I heard that can effect fuel consumption. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to get mine off on Friday to give it a clean. I think carb cleaner will do the job but I'll check with my techy mate before doing so.

My 59000 mile 1.9 sdi will easily di 62 mpg with steady motorway driving at about 70 mph in summer. I think the winter diesel mix makes fewer miles. The car is very economical usually. I bought a new 3 cylinder 1.4 TDI and it is not as economical, but it hasn't done that many miles yet - only about 5200, so it might still improve as it runs in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I have noticed poor economy from my 2003 SDI. I filled the tank today, did 95 miles on the motorway @ 60mph and the tank is just a tiny fraction below the 3/4's mark. That means I am looking at an mpg of 40, which seems rubbish considering the driving I was doing. I have a feeling that car might never have been serviced properly, tyres are the only thing I can be certain are ok.

So what are the things I should be looking at?

1. Replace oil/air filters.

2. Injector cleaning fluid.

3. Clean EGR sensor.

Anything else?