Modern diesels and automatic boxes

Lex Dysia

Just trying to gauge opinions here as I am considering it in the future.

I have tried 2 diesel autos in the past, both fords and the experiences where very bad.

I have driven plenty of petrol autos and never had any issues with them but here is my experience of diesels.

First one I ever tried was an X plated Ford Galaxy 90 bhp TDI. Pulling away from junctions was suicidal it would start rolling and then crawl until it got suitable revs, if you could see traffic it just wasn't worth attempting as it was simply too dangerous. Once moving you had to plant your foot all the way to nsl and took about 20 seconds to get there.

Second attempt was in an 04 Mondeo. Now this was better in that the engine had more power but the problem was that cruising at 60mph it didn't know what gear to select :confused: it would cut to 5th then decide it wanted 4th so would change down, upon changing down it would think no I need 5th and change up then change its mind again. So at nsl it was constantly changing unless you flipped to tiptronic mode, not good :rotz:

I haven't touched one since but the newer concept of the DSG auto's and the fact that a lot of respected manufactures are offering this combination albeit with conventional auto boxes has me curious as to whether they are any better these days.

Opinions please :thumbup:

My dad used to have an 02 BMW 530d M with the auto box, that car was sublime to drive, no issues whatsoever.

Very much luck of the draw, and a question that can only really be answered with plenty of test drives :thumbup:

Auto gearboxes are overly complex pieces of crap. As soon as you get any sludge in the ATF the valve box starts to play up, and all hell breaks loose. They have got better over the years, but you still loose power through the torque converter, and get less MPG as a result.

Auto gearboxes are overly complex pieces of crap. As soon as you get any sludge in the ATF the valve box starts to play up, and all hell breaks loose.

But is this true of DSG boxes as they aren't true autos.

They have got better over the years, but you still loose power through the torque converter, and get less MPG as a result.

The benefits to me mainly driving in stop/start traffic outway this as my knees can't tolerate the pedal actions for too long. Auto box and cruise are essential on my next motor.

Just trying to gauge opinions here as I am considering it in the future.

I have tried 2 diesel autos in the past, both fords and the experiences where very bad.

I have driven plenty of petrol autos and never had any issues with them but here is my experience of diesels.

First one I ever tried was an X plated Ford Galaxy 90 bhp TDI. Pulling away from junctions was suicidal it would start rolling and then crawl until it got suitable revs, if you could see traffic it just wasn't worth attempting as it was simply too dangerous. Once moving you had to plant your foot all the way to nsl and took about 20 seconds to get there.

Second attempt was in an 04 Mondeo. Now this was better in that the engine had more power but the problem was that cruising at 60mph it didn't know what gear to select :confused: it would cut to 5th then decide it wanted 4th so would change down, upon changing down it would think no I need 5th and change up then change its mind again. So at nsl it was constantly changing unless you flipped to tiptronic mode, not good :rotz:

I haven't touched one since but the newer concept of the DSG auto's and the fact that a lot of respected manufactures are offering this combination albeit with conventional auto boxes has me curious as to whether they are any better these days.

Opinions please :thumbup:

Your first mistake was trying a Ford. Notoriously slow, especially when mated to a (in those days) a four speeder. I have been driving autos for nearly 25 years due to necessity so have a better understanding than some people on here who only drive manuals and "think" they know about autos....a bit like the testers in a weekly magazine I get. The recommendation is always to go for the manual as the auto is crap. Not so.

I would recommend that you do drive several, especially the DSG as, like mine, you'll get good mpg (contrary to what someone said earlier) and there's little perceptible loss of power, a point proved on telly by VBH. This is my second DSG and I'd have another like a shot. The gearboxes in Vauxhalls are strong and good in proper auto mode, but the easytronic is also worthy of the "crap" label. The VAG tiptronic box is quite good too and worth trying. Ford's new powershift is equally as good as the DSG whereas the Peugot/Citroen EGC is awful.

Lastly, don't believe all the opinions on here. Try it for yourself.

Auto gearboxes are overly complex pieces of crap. As soon as you get any sludge in the ATF the valve box starts to play up, and all hell breaks loose. They have got better over the years, but you still loose power through the torque converter, and get less MPG as a result.

A well maintained and quality auto box could well outlast a manual if treated with care, regular ATF Changes are essential, but the modern sealed for life ones are worrying me somewhat:(.

An engine mated to an auto box also more likely to last longer, as the engine is never laboured or over revved. Never had a single problem with an autobox, even on older cars. Exception is the single clutch robotized ones that Paul007 mentioned, they are useless

Personally I wouldnt want one with a diesel, i'd rather have a dsg and diesel as I have in the Octavia

My mother had a 320d Auto, and it was lovely to drive. Smooth, quiet, plenty of poke, and the gearbox very rarely got caught out, especially when in sport mode. Id have one in a second.

My dad has the same engine/gearbox in a freelander, and its still just as good!

DSG's have a totally different opperating mechanism and don't use torque convertors.

Virtually the only loss of power and mpg is due to the additional weight of the gearbox.

Complex yes, unrelaible no!

DSG and twin-clutch transmissions - What the DSG / twin clutch transmission is - how the DSG /twin clutch transmission works