Few questions about VRS'

If you are wanting much more power and obviously more torque, I would suggest a better clutch as a standard one may not cope.

As Jim has said if you are upping the power/torque you will deffo need to think about an uprated clutch. If you do remap to 200bhp I cant see the standard one lasting too long dependant on your new torque output.

Devonutopia (Jason) is running 370lbft of torque on an uprated clutch (can't rememnber which make). That sort of power would shred the standard. I am running 400lbft of torque on a Sach's sintered racing paddle clutch which is rated to 360lbsft and even this slips a bit when I floor it. It's all well and good having the power from the engine but you've got to be able to deliver it to the wheels!!! :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh brilliant, thank you!

How much did that clutch set you back?

Honestly, im looking for around 240 BHP/ 340~~ lb/ft torque, hybrid turbo, FMIC, pd160 intake, exhaust, of course uprated clutch (thanks hehe, not sure what else there is), is it really possibly, or am i dreaming?

Jamie

Jason runs a SPEC stg 3+ clutch with alloy SMF, they're good for some ridiculous (wheel) torque figure and Gary (oilburninnut) has/had a new one for sale.

if you're going for a hybrid turbo it might be worth thinking about an LSD (Peloquin or Quaiffe) to avoid spinning up a wheel when trying to apply the power/torque to the road - mine's not mapped properly yet but the diff already helps

Jason runs a SPEC stg 3+ clutch with alloy SMF, they're good for some ridiculous (wheel) torque figure and Gary (oilburninnut) has/had a new one for sale.

if you're going for a hybrid turbo it might be worth thinking about an LSD (Peloquin or Quaiffe) to avoid spinning up a wheel when trying to apply the power/torque to the road - mine's not mapped properly yet but the diff already helps

Yeah, that would be one of the things i would get before i started with a Hybrid etc.

Now, LSD's confuse me so much, would that totally cure wheel spin when i floor it? or would it just "grip" the wheels so its reduced alot.

LSD wouldn't be so urgent, i'd just get one a few months after, just drive easy up to then :p

Jamie

Ahh brilliant, thank you!

How much did that clutch set you back?

Sachs clutch you're looking at £550ish but then there are the labour costs for fitting unless you are a trained mechanic?! So thick end of £800?:D

Honestly, im looking for around 240 BHP/ 340~~ lb/ft torque, hybrid turbo, FMIC, pd160 intake, exhaust, of course uprated clutch (thanks hehe, not sure what else there is), is it really possibly, or am i dreaming?

Once you have the sort of power that you have specified you are going to need to address two other areas of the car. Suspension? Lowered, stiffened, front strut, front ARB, rear ARB, etc..... Brakes? Larger discs, calipers & uprated pads. The car must be able to corner at speed without rolling over and stop effectively for your safety and the safety of others.:thumbup:

Sachs clutch you're looking at £550ish but then there are the labour costs for fitting unless you are a trained mechanic?! So thick end of £800?:D

Once you have the sort of power that you have specified you are going to need to address two other areas of the car. Suspension? Lowered, stiffened, front strut, front ARB, rear ARB, etc..... Brakes? Larger discs, calipers & uprated pads. The car must be able to corner at speed without rolling over and stop effectively for your safety and the safety of others.:thumbup:

Lowering and stifferening was going to be first anyway, along with struts and roll bars. Brakes? Was thinking Octy VRS front calipers (would using rears one make a difference, reason im asking this, ill explain if you want me to). ALl that was going to be done before hand

welcome along

consider yourself lucky as you've asked a lot of questions that typically get newb's flamed around here but no-one has even mentioned the search button!.

Must be your eloquent and polite manner ;)

Easiest brake upgrade is the 312mm discs and callipers from Octy 1 VRS or similar Golf, Leon or TT - although Brembo's from a Leon LCR or similar would also do the trick

Rears can also be upgraded Jason has a thread around here somewhere of his recent exploits - but there is a massive arguement that the rears don't actually do enough braking to warrant the upgrade

welcome along

consider yourself lucky as you've asked a lot of questions that typically get newb's flamed around here but no-one has even mentioned the search button!.

Must be your eloquent and polite manner ;)

Easiest brake upgrade is the 312mm discs and callipers from Octy 1 VRS or similar Golf, Leon or TT - although Brembo's from a Leon LCR or similar would also do the trick

Rears can also be upgraded Jason has a thread around here somewhere of his recent exploits - but there is a massive arguement that the rears don't actually do enough braking to warrant the upgrade

Hey there

I have tried searching, but i couldn't find the awnsers to all my questions, and everytime i looked i swear i got a different awnser everytime!, so i thought i might just ask everything in a big bunch, i appreciate not being flamed :).

Ah, i try to be polite, proves it DOES get you some where ;).

I thought so, because i "like" the green calipers, and getting them from an Octy would keep that, and save spraying =p. Didnnt know the LCR's brakes would fit actually, well didnt think about it. They would be a worthwhile upgrade, if purely for the looks! =P ;)!

Thats what i was wondering, I wasn't sure if they was a "big" difference insizes on the back. A friend of mine has an Ibiza FR remapped, hybrid turbo etc with 244 BHP and 330 lb/ft of torque, we had a track day a little while ago, and he was "heavy" on the brakes, and came back with smokign rear brakes. Wasn't sure if it was worthwhile upgrading the backs because of this, or just get better discs and pads.

Thanks for your help, its muchly appreciated

Jamie

I have tried searching, but i couldn't find the awnsers to all my questions, and everytime i looked i swear i got a different awnser everytime!,

completely agree!

as much as USE THE F***ING SEARCH is toted i find it's accuracy and consistency all over the place :D

I thought so, because i "like" the green calipers, and getting them from an Octy would keep that, and save spraying =p. Didnnt know the LCR's brakes would fit actually, well didnt think about it. They would be a worthwhile upgrade, if purely for the looks! =P ;)!

my 312's were matt grey unpainted from a TT however a tin of hammerite later and ther're not a bad match ;)

Thats what i was wondering, I wasn't sure if they was a "big" difference insizes on the back. A friend of mine has an Ibiza FR remapped, hybrid turbo etc with 244 BHP and 330 lb/ft of torque, we had a track day a little while ago, and he was "heavy" on the brakes, and came back with smokign rear brakes. Wasn't sure if it was worthwhile upgrading the backs because of this, or just get better discs and pads.

Found Jase's thread here on his rear conversion - 256mm up from stadnard 218mm i think. There are pluses and minus and many many arguement threads and i guess it's a lot down to what you can afford. I know some guys on here are pushing 200bhp and haven;t bothered with 312's just upgraded (standard sized) discs and pads all round

completely agree!

as much as USE THE F***ING SEARCH is toted i find it's accuracy and consistency all over the place :D

Yeah, im not a "newb" for forums normally, im members with a variety of owners clubs, but the search function is allways too "vague", and picks up everything with "special" and "edition" in it, so doesn't help

my 312's were matt grey unpainted from a TT however a tin of hammerite later and ther're not a bad match ;)

Thats what i was thinking, end of the day, green is green!, would of just been easier to get octy ones, if not TT it is. Where did u get ur TT calipers? I saw some from an Octy on ebay for 100 pound both sides, including the carriers!

Found Jase's thread here on his rear conversion - 256mm up from stadnard 218mm i think. There are pluses and minus and many many arguement threads and i guess it's a lot down to what you can afford. I know some guys on here are pushing 200bhp and haven;t bothered with 312's just upgraded (standard sized) discs and pads all round

Ahh thats his name, I did wonder, i've been searching the last half an hour trying to find his name, now i know who you mean.. durrrr :D. Ill have a ponder through there.

I have another question, earlier someone said:

Unsure on what LSD's actually do, can you gimem a hand? Do they completlly "cure wheelspins", thats my understanding of it, and this is quite far out of my "mechanical knowledge"

Thank you

Jamie :)

Green is very much not green at the end, middle or beginning off the day! :rofl:

hammerite discontinued the closest match leaving either bright lime green or dark forest green on the shelves. The Skoda match stuff is pretty difficult to get hold of.

my full set (discs pads, calipers, carriers and hoses) came via a contact via here who bought a job lot of delivery mileage sets from TT's on the continent. Any while not as cheap as some of the ebay sets they were practicaly brand new!

Generally sets pop up for sale on here quite often and on eBay as you have already seen.

I'm not 100% certain but i think an LSD can transfer torque between wheels rather than just an equal split - so in hard cornering normally the unweighted inside wheel will spin while the other get the power on the road - but with an LSD the extra torque from inside wheel is transfered to the better gripping wheel to improve acceleration.

While it won't stop wheelspin all together (you'd still be able to light up both tyres at traffic lights!) it minimises the spinning of one wheel so getting power down during spirited cornering is much improved

i tried wiki but this went way over my head

Green is very much not green at the end, middle or beginning off the day! :rofl:

hammerite discontinued the closest match leaving either bright lime green or dark forest green on the shelves. The Skoda match stuff is pretty difficult to get hold of.

Ahh god.. do the Octy ones come from Skoda pre-painted?

Thats not bad, is he still selling them?

my full set (discs pads, calipers, carriers and hoses) came via a contact via here who bought a job lot of delivery mileage sets from TT's on the continent. Any while not as cheap as some of the ebay sets they were practicaly brand new!

Generally sets pop up for sale on here quite often and on eBay as you have already seen.

Yeah am just going to keep my eyes peeled! :)

I'm not 100% certain but i think an LSD can transfer torque between wheels rather than just an equal split - so in hard cornering normally the unweighted inside wheel will spin while the other get the power on the road - but with an LSD the extra torque from inside wheel is transfered to the better gripping wheel to improve acceleration.

While it won't stop wheelspin all together (you'd still be able to light up both tyres at traffic lights!) it minimises the spinning of one wheel so getting power down during spirited cornering is much improved

i tried wiki but this went way over my head

Thinking about it, your right. It pratically aids cornering. Thanks for that buddy, thats another post im thanking you for :P!

I did try wiki, and howstuffworks, but was far to in depth

Jamie

Ahh god.. do the Octy ones come from Skoda pre-painted?

if they come from a donor VRS yes - new from a dealer there may even be 2 part numbers for painted and unpainted but they'd let you know

Thinking about it, your right. It pratically aids cornering. Thanks for that buddy, thats another post im thanking you for :P!

ASR will do the job of controlling spin during trraffic light grand prix (pretty badly though!) with an LSD doing the job during cornering

woohoo more thanks! here to help! ;)

if they come from a donor VRS yes - new from a dealer there may even be 2 part numbers for painted and unpainted but they'd let you know

Yeah, reading Jase's topic just clarified that for me, thank you!

ASR will do the job of controlling spin during trraffic light grand prix (pretty badly though!) with an LSD doing the job during cornering

woohoo more thanks! here to help! ;)

Yeah, I did think it was quite rubbish being in friends Ibiza!, but thanks :)

Jamie

an LSD doesn't just help when cornering. ESP is far better than ASR at controlling wheelspin

I see, what is ASR tho? I think ESP was for wheelspins. What else does the LSD help with? Tried a few sites but cant get it in. Too me it just seems like if one wheel has "slipped" then power is spread to both wheels equally, so helps in snow etc?

I see, what is ASR tho? I think ESP was for wheelspins. What else does the LSD help with? Tried a few sites but cant get it in. Too me it just seems like if one wheel has "slipped" then power is spread to both wheels equally, so helps in snow etc?

I think: (there's that word again i love acting like i know what i'm talking about :rofl:)

ASR is traction control

It limits wheel spin by cutting power to the wheels if too much spin is detected.

ESP is a step above ASR as it also uses electronics to control aspects of the suspension to give optimum grip and power application

LSD mechanically (or electronically in some cars but they're not actually LSD jsut electorincs that work in the same way) control slip of individual wheels

although that could all be poo :D

I think: (there's that word again i love acting like i know what i'm talking about :rofl:)

ASR is traction control

It limits wheel spin by cutting power to the wheels if too much spin is detected.

ESP is a step above ASR as it also uses electronics to control aspects of the suspension to give optimum grip and power application

LSD mechanically (or electronically in some cars but they're not actually LSD jsut electorincs that work in the same way) control slip of individual wheels

although that could all be poo :D

Ohhhh now im a tad confused!

Can you turn ASR off? I know theres a switch for ESP somewhere :rolleyes:

Jamie

ASR = Anti Slip regulation - (which i have) is switch off via a big button on the dash above the radio

ESP = Electronic Stability Programme - (which i don't have) is likely to be similar (i known theres a massive similarly positioned ESP button in my inlaws Golf)

googling brought up this thread http://briskoda.net/fabia-ii/esp-asr/80976/

which includes this youtube vid

Edited by PastyBoy

ASR = Anti Slip regulation - (which i have) is switch off via a big button on the dash above the radio

ESP = Electronic Stability Programme - (which i don't have) is likely to be similar (i known theres a massive similarly positioned ESP button in my inlaws Golf)

googling brought up this thread http://briskoda.net/fabia-ii/esp-asr/80976/

which includes this youtube vid

So both can be turned off?

Now i understand it, thank you!

Jamie