Suspension problem?

toonartist

setup.

Eibach Springs, Seat front strut brace, Jabba ARB & standard springs. Car has 71k miles on the clock and the springs have been on for 35k miles.

There have been occasional clunking noises coming from the suspension, front and rear and both sides on the front. Sometimes it will happen a few times in a day and then I may not hear it for quite a while. The noise is a bit like a spring un-coiling, or something moving suddenly after being released from under pressure. Not to loud but still quite clear. Handling isn't as tight but not sloppy either.

Checked the exhaust and there is no obvious sign of it catching on anything. The front roll bar mounts look ok and there is no movement in the drop links or noise from them when turning. Has anyone come across this before, all I can think of is it being shocks or top-mounts? If anyone has any ideas regarding this it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

There's been quite a bit of discussion lately on noisy suspension, and about the only observation that seems to have been any help is that the shorter springs on lowered cars don't cope with rebound too well, and need helper springs to stop them creaking or knocking or whatever. My car's only lowered an inch, and has had issues since Day One, which have been looked at several times now (unsuccessfully). All I can suggest is to check some of the things you suspect, like doing the bounce test on the shocks, and jacking it up and trying to move the shock where it fits into the top mount, to make sure it's not the mounts... :ne_nau:

There's been quite a bit of discussion lately on noisy suspension, and about the only observation that seems to have been any help is that the shorter springs on lowered cars don't cope with rebound too well, and need helper springs to stop them creaking or knocking or whatever. My car's only lowered an inch, and has had issues since Day One, which have been looked at several times now (unsuccessfully). All I can suggest is to check some of the things you suspect, like doing the bounce test on the shocks, and jacking it up and trying to move the shock where it fits into the top mount, to make sure it's not the mounts... :ne_nau:

Thanks for this. Had a bit of a loud clunk this morning so i am going to take it in to the dealers to have it checked out. Will let you know what happens. Was tempted to fit some coil overs bit didn't want to go to that expense if it wasn't the cause of the problem.

I'm still tempted to tweek the suspension on my Vrs but, like yourself, don't want to go to the expense of coilovers. I've read dozens of threads on here about what to change/alter when fitting Eibachs e.g. dampers, trim bumpstops, new bolts, etc!

I only want to change it for looks as I'm quite happy with the standard handling but the thought of having problems with clunking noises every time I drive it is putting me right off changing the springs!

Good luck getting it sorted! ;)

I'm still tempted to tweek the suspension on my Vrs but, like yourself, don't want to go to the expense of coilovers. I've read dozens of threads on here about what to change/alter when fitting Eibachs e.g. dampers, trim bumpstops, new bolts, etc!

I only want to change it for looks as I'm quite happy with the standard handling but the thought of having problems with clunking noises every time I drive it is putting me right off changing the springs!

Good luck getting it sorted! ;)

I wouldn't worry to much about changing the springs. Mine have been on for about 3 years with no problems. Fitted them myself without adjusting the bump stops and this is the first problem I have had. It could (apparently) be worn bushes but time will tell.

To be fair, all bets are off until the wishbone bushes have been checked...

I'm starting to think this is the problem. As I menione earlier it is'nt really slopy when cornering but the over vrs that has had the suspension done but no rear arb feels more planted. This was never the case before.

when i fitted my Eibach springs, over 40k ago, i used nearly new standard front shocks (only had 5k on them) and fitted them as a complete unit with all new top mounts, bump stops, bolts etc, i have also fitted the later type front roll bar and bushes, new drop links, and complete Seat Cupra consoles

and after all this , guess what , it still knocks occasionally

tbh, my clunking has sometimes hit from the back too although much less frequent than the front... i thought it might just be reverbing around the car from the front. who knows. The clunks sound the same tho, like somethings releasing or a spring reshifting or something... happens much more frequently when first setting off than driving around.

maybe the same thing?

only thing i haven't had replaced front suspension wise now is springs, struts and strut mounts. clunking remains.

my car (as far as a i know) is standard suspension all round.

tbh, my clunking has sometimes hit from the back too although much less frequent than the front... i thought it might just be reverbing around the car from the front. who knows. The clunks sound the same tho, like somethings releasing or a spring reshifting or something... happens much more frequently when first setting off than driving around.

maybe the same thing?

only thing i haven't had replaced front suspension wise now is springs, struts and strut mounts. clunking remains.

my car (as far as a i know) is standard suspension all round.

I guess if the garage says they can't find anything then I can live with the odd clunk safe in the knowledge my front wheel isn't going to over take my bumper :-) Going to use the other one this weekend when we head down south to London..... Just to be on the safe side

I guess if the garage says they can't find anything then I can live with the odd clunk safe in the knowledge my front wheel isn't going to over take my bumper :-) Going to use the other one this weekend when we head down south to London..... Just to be on the safe side

Do you think you're driving a Rover?:rofl:

when i fitted my Eibach springs, over 40k ago, i used nearly new standard front shocks (only had 5k on them) and fitted them as a complete unit with all new top mounts, bump stops, bolts etc, i have also fitted the later type front roll bar and bushes, new drop links, and complete Seat Cupra consoles

and after all this , guess what , it still knocks occasionally

Hummmm, see what happens with the visit to the garage but I do fancy tweaking the suspension set up in the new year. Seems along time since I was last sat under the car working on a canny project.

:) so I take it you have had problems. We have two vrs fabias so don't mind one of them being a little firm. What problems you had?

- Clunky clicky quacky knocky noises at speeds below 30mph when turning, going over bumps, moving slightly in your seat.

- ****ed up steering, pulls left as though a hurricane side-wind is coming at you from the right.

- Steering heaver on the right than the left?

Honestly, if there was a spring and shock kit that dropped the Fabia a decent amount, I.E. so it actually looks any different to standard, I would have snapped it up, but alas coilovers are the only option for a respectable looking ride height imo

- Clunky clicky quacky knocky noises at speeds below 30mph when turning, going over bumps, moving slightly in your seat.

- ****ed up steering, pulls left as though a hurricane side-wind is coming at you from the right.

- Steering heaver on the right than the left?

Honestly, if there was a spring and shock kit that dropped the Fabia a decent amount, I.E. so it actually looks any different to standard, I would have snapped it up, but alas coilovers are the only option for a respectable looking ride height imo

Humm right, I guess I would still go for coilovers provide the handling was good and didn't loose to much comfort.