BT Vision.

Fitz323

Guys and girls,

Ive just installed BT vison after coming from SKY so I really dont know much about aerials and such like.

After scanning for channels (using my existing rubbish/old aerial in the loft) i have amassed the grand total of 6 channels. :rotz: So i'm guessing the existing aerial I have is no way near good enough. As I havent a clue on this sort of thing could someone point me in the right direction as to what sort of aerial I need and if it is acceptable to use it in the loft as opposed to mounting it on the roof. Also, what sort of price would I be looking at for someone to come and fit it.

Thanks in advance.

Fitz.

Edited by Fitz323
spelling

I have Vision, with an aerial in the loft and i get I think about 60 TV channels...

As for what type of aerial, ours was in the loft when we moved in...

I was also told though that the wires from the aerial to the TV deteriorate over time causing poor signals etc, may be wort hchecking

I guessing something works as I can pick up 6 channels. I was on SKY before so I have never used the aerial. Went up in the attic yesterday and its a pretty small aerial up there so I think i'll go out and buy a high gain wide spectrum one and see if that works. ;)

Unless you live close to a TV transmitter a new higher gain aerial would be required, also the co-ax cable will need to be replaced with one such as a satellite grade co-ax.

The most you will pay is £160 from a professional installer although it would be guaranteed and correctly aligned to pick up the best possible signal. Digital signals are weaker than the old analogue sort, that is why you need the best aerial and cable.

You could DIY it but you will be up and down the ladders trying tweak reception and maybe never get it right. Signal meters are now available to help align the aerial about £20 but by the time you buy the aerial, bracket pole cable and meter you might as well bite the bullet and have it done for you.

I tried the DIY route and I am good at this sort of thing but gave up as I never got me full compliment of channels, so ended up with proffessional install and now all is perfect.

Installing Freeview | ukfree.tv - independent digital TV + switchover advice, since 2002 is a very helpful website which will tell you the exact type of antenna you need, its polarisation and the direction it should face.

I would wait until Thursday to play about with the BT Vision box because of the major retune with Freeview happening tomorrow (30th Sept)

TV Re-tune

Also there has just been a major software upgrade for the BT Vision boxes so make sure your box has got it, you will find this forum very helpful regarding BT Vision and the software versions etc etc:

: BT Vision

HTH

Unless your expecting an HD signal, then, even with a loft aerial, unless your in a real fringe or blocked area, you should be able to get away with existing coax.

I had an existing directional (Narrow angle) 15 or 20 element iaerial n the loft receiving analogue, with a signal amplifier next to the TV. All I did for Freeview was install an additional mast head amplifier and a switched and fused lecy feed-off of the loft lighting circuit and that was good enough to get a 100% signal. In fact, I had to turn the am[plifier in the lounge down.

Only time I had trouble was when they turned the transmitter power down for a couple of three month periods when work was being done.

Being a loft aerial the major signal strength loss 10-15DB was from the roof tiles. I judged the signal loss from old co-ax to be well less than that and together with the fact that the coax had been installed by the house-builder between the angled roof-lining and between the cavity walls, disinclined me to renew it and I did not want a "Pro" laying in an external run and drilling holes in the cavity wall to pass the cable - cause that's what they'd have done.

I've found a loft installation is good because it filters out weaker signals from other less powerful local transmitters at the oblique angle as well as suppressing local noise from public bands.

I'm about 17 miles away from the main transmitter at Crystal Palace and the line-of-sight signal path is obstructed by Harrow-on-the-hill and my property is in a dip in the landscape, so not the best site for reception.

Only problems I have with this set-up is when transmitting taxi's, public service vehicles pass the house, or if an aircraft approaching Heathrow flies directly between me and the transmitter, in which case the signal is momentarily obliterated. Also, poorly suppressed electrics in the house central heating pump and fridge cause a bit of pixellation on start-up.

Nick