A/C noise

azzer8

Hey,

While sat at some traffic lights today I noticed a humming/buzzing sound, and also more vibration coming in from the front of the car, so turned radio off to have a listen, then turned A/C off to start eliminating things, and found this to be the issue.

It is fine when set on Econo mode or when the fan is off, its just there when the compressor for the A/C kicks in.

Has anyone had this problem before and I am guessing a new compressor is needed?

Well it is an 06 reg 2.0 TFSI, have seen somewhere that it is common for the A/C to fail and that it should be covered under warranty, but my car is now outside that period.

I have not tried regasing the A/C perhaps I should give that a try before anything?

Sounds like one of the plastic cooling fans could be out of kilter. Make sure the fan isn't hitting anything when it rotates, preferably without involving any fingers whilst checking.

If the compressor was out of balance to the point you could feel it in the cabin I suspect it wouldn't last that long.

If the coolng performance is good there is absolutely no need to regas.

To give an update on A/C issue, it seems to no longer be working, I am still getting a whirring/buzzing noise when the compressor is turned on, and a fair amount of noise inside the car from what I am guessing is the pipe work for the A/C system, a strange noise to describe but sounds like gas/air running through them.

Thanks for the help so far!