Paranoid over remap

adamg30

Had a remap yesterday on my Fabia VRS got to say its fantastic to drive now plenty of mid range torque and extra power.169.4bhp and 295Ib/ft torque.My only concerns are what adverse effects it is going to have on the mechanics of the car i.e the clutch.I know driving it sensibly is the way forward but any advice would be appreciated.The clutch is designed to with stand 300Ib/ft torque so im hoping everything will be fine.

When i had mine and on the odd occasion i wanted to drive briskly i always changed down a gear to overtake and i never floored it below 2000RPM. I think if you do that a lot ( flooring the throttle at low engine revs ) you might well damage the dual mass flywheel.

My 178bhp and 298lb ft map was done at 43k.

Now at 52k and I had my first clutch slip about a week ago whilst accelerating hard in 5th.

If it goes, it goes. Not a lot you can do about it.

My advice is you shouldnt get a remap done unless you can afford a clutch (budget 1k)

If it goes, it goes. Not a lot you can do about it.

A true modders attitude!:thumbup: Whilst there is nothiong he, you or anyone can do about it, like everything else in life it can be limited. I would say it mainly depends on the OP's driving style in truth.

I've had 179bhp and 334lb/ft on torque on a standard clutch since March, had no problems thus far. I never floor below 2,500rpm, and never, ever floor it in 6th.

The brakes issue has been done to death on other threads, essentially at normal road speeds you can't make the car stop quicker than you can with the standard set up, but the much improved feel of bigger brakes is worth paying for according to those that have it.

I def have noticed now the roads are getting wetter how much grip you lose through the corners in the VRS just like my old cliosport.It seems then that sensible driving and not thrashing at low revs is the answer to maintaining the clutch.Just one more question as im not a car boffin why cant you thrash at low revs??

I had mine done at P-Torque it went on his rollers and came up at 180.1bhp and 301lb ft but I am inclined to think its a little over the odds.

Thats with Pipercross Panel, PD160, CCV vented, pikey arch mod, 2.5" decat exhaust system, egr turned down

Yeah im taking it fairly steady at the moment.I have looked into getting a warranty setup for the Fab with warranty direct,will cost £265 for the year that's a comprehensive one including the clutch.Im just waiting to see whether they will allow the re mapped ecu to be part of the warranty.I thought it gets rid of the problem of paying for the menders should something go wrong.

I had my Remap from P-torque 10K ago now. Mine made 170bhp and 295lbs on their rollers. I have have never once had any type of clutch issue. The bite is excellent and i have never had any slip

I think knowing the cars history helps a lot. I have had mine since 600 miles so know the clutch and DMF have be treated with respect. Its always going to be a gamble remapping any car but with the figures you are talking about as long as you drive with mechanical sympathy i would be surprised if you had any issues. Thats providing the clutch isnt toast already!!!!!!!!

Matt

Bite is fine,no jerking when bringing the clutch up after changing gear,all seems fine.What ive noticed is after the map i dont need to use full throttle at all,half is more than enough to pass anybody or get upto speed.Have taken on board not to full throttle under 2k revs and i treat my car with respect so fingers crossed all will be fine.