New Superb, MDI, Sat Nav & Speed Cameras

I have recently picked up my new superb which is great and looks fantastic in Rosso Brunello with cream leather. Prior to picking it up I found some really useful info on this forum so I thought it right to share a couple of things.

I specified the MDI (Mobile Device Interface) which provides a connection for your IPOD in the armrest and lets you 'see' the ipod on the Sat Nav screen. A couple of points, first you also need a lead for the ipod as the MDI ends with the plug thing in the glovebox.

When you 'see' the IPOD (Touch 2G in my case) you can view the music by song, artist and playlist etc all of which can be controlled via the touch screen on the Sat Nav unit. The IPOD also charges whilst attached when the engine is on. I know it is an indulgence but I think it is probably better than relying on a 3.5m jack and makes selecting your music etc really easy. I also tried to use the bluetooth on the IPOD to connect which is a no go and also you cant see video content on the IPOD more is the pity.

The DVD Quality is really good especially with the upgraded speakers.

I can confirm that the HTC Snap Mobile is fully compliant with the bluetooth system. BUT there is a setting on the phone to activate the remote access to the SIM. The Samsung SGH770 is not compliant.

The ability to have the settings on the drivers seat linked to the remote is great and I now no longer get cut in half trying to get in when the wife has been in the car. Should you need an additional key be prepared £125.

The inability to put speed cameras on the RNS510 Satnav has been really annoying given how good it is at everything else and I am going to give up as trying to do it appears to require computer skills to a level which I am sadly lacking.

I have instead invested in a Novus Piccolo GPS speed camera Alert System - it is a tiny unit about 5cmx5cmx1.5cm which looks like a bit of plastic which is handy as it does not make it attractive to light fingered passers by. It is held in place on a magnetic disc and can easily be removed to be updated on the PC

Novus Alpha Novus GPS Rider Delta novus piccolo coyote speed camera detection

I am hoping to get it hard wired to sit on the dash on permanent guard against the speed camera brigade. I have given it a quick test and it appears to work really well and free updates for life are included in the price. I managed to find it for £48. Beware though, despite what is says on the box it does not come with the lead to connect to the computer unless it comes from an authorised dealer.

It is only a USB to Mini USB which is a pretty common lead (as for Blackberry).

Unfortunately the SATNAV disc was not the most up to date and the dealer is ordering the current version which appears to be Version 5 (April 2009) which hopefully will be more up to date.

Also dealership Underwoods at Colchester were really good on customer service.

Hope this may be of some use

Modorator

Hi Simbo

Thanks for this info it has been very useful to me.

I got my Superb last week and was surprised to find roads built 4 years ago did not appear.

I have 6317 V3 maps

First thing I did was to update the firmware from 1164 to 2664

http://briskoda.net/ice-security-insurance/latest-fw-rns-510-columbus-2660-2666-2662-2668-2664-a/155343/

This takes about 50min

Then I installed BMW-Professional 09-1/VAG map its available for download just Google “rns 510 V4 with BMW-Professional 09-1”

I am looking at RNS 510 Microphone Connection for voice control

http://www.my-gti.com/1234/volkswagen-rns-510-microphone-connection-for-voice-control

Has anyone done this mod to a Superb with rSAP GSM 111 Bluetooth ?

Can I make the columbus unit show all the tracks etc from the ipod using the jack socket in the arm rest? If so, what lead do I need?

No its imposible. If you want track names from an Ipod you need the Skoda MDI interface kit, or one from Dension.

The Columbus only allows sound to be transmitted in via the Aux-in socket, track data will never happen this way sadly.

Thanks Simbo

They also do a rear view camara.....mmm tempting

KUFATEC GmbH - Rückfahrkamera-Set universell Audi - Volkswagen

Sent them a mail about cable for voice contol for rns 510 in a Superb with rSAP bluetooth as the kit listed is for a golf and got this reply

Thank you for your request.

We haven't done it on a skoda yet. If you want you can buy the loom but we do not guarrantee the functionality.

Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

KUFATEC Support Team

Not a chance, I spent a fortune retro-fitting one to my A8, its just a gimmick. I found I never used the display as I was looking out the rear window listening to the beeps from the sensors. Not for me this time - I changed to the Skoda to try and save money!!!

First thing I did was to update the firmware from 1164 to 2664

I've just done this. Everything went well, all sections updated correctly, CD was ejected, then nowt. On switching on, I got a "Software Loading Error" - a library wasn't loading. It said to re-boot, which I did.

It then called for the SWL CD again, but although it finds and loads the SWL image, I can't get the "OK" button to work on the touch screen. Now, as you might imagine, nothing works and I can't even seem to switch the thing off completely!

Needless to say, the other half is not impressed(!), but I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Any suggestions (but no pointing and laughing, please) gratefully accepted.

Ray

Reboot it' date=' see what happens... Press: < > i ...together to reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, when it asks for the CD, put it in then 'OK' on the first screen but then press 'CANCEL' on the second screen? Wait for it to say User Cancelled then reboot again?

Ignore the SETUP+Eject+Info type reboot on screen....

If only ...........

The < > i reboot simply puts it into SWL upgrade mode (black screen with white text saying "Software Loading Initiated .... looking for SWL image."

If I load the CD, it finds the image, then goes to the first screen, which gives details of the upgrade and provides "OK" and "Cancel" buttons at the bottom right. Unfortunately, neither of these now work. If I use the "Setup+Eject+i" reboot, I get the splash screen with red bands top and bottom saying that the system cannot start and to insert the SWL CD. Again, it gets to the first details screen and no "OK" or "Cancel" working.

The only way I could find to switch it off was to pull the relevant fuse. I've reburned two different CDs and a DVD to no effect.

Now what?????

Ray.

I'm all up and running again, with a couple of things to still do. :thumbup:

Regarding the "OK" and "Cancel" touch-screen buttons not working, I discovered that I could activate them using the "< >" and the "OK" knob on the set (bottom right-hand). :o

Once I'd done that, I then inserted the UNMODIFIED firmware disk and this time it loaded successfully.

For future users, please note that the instructions on VWLabs to exchange the filenames is wrong - for all Mk. II Superbs, there is no need to do this and MAY be what caused my initial problem - who knows? I know that this is mentioned in another thread, but when you're trawling through for initial instructions, leaving that un-amended is not helpful.

Secondly, I've "lost" all my music from the hard drive, but I've kept all my navigation maps. The new HD usage icon showed it totally blank and it was greyed out in the Media choice icons at the top of the Media screen. Once I loaded a couple of tunes onto it, however, it was shown as a choice again - phew! I'm going to re-load the music via an 8GB SHDC SD card now - because I CAN!

I've got a digital clock instead of a blank display now (when all is switched off), plus the better fader graphics, plus the current speed limit for the area shown (under the North direction icon). These, however, are in KPH - any idea how to get these to show in MPH??

Thanks for the assistance so far - much appreciated! :)

Ray

Have you got the Speed Camera POI's on? If so it's a known issue...

Yes, I've got the cameras on and they're still OK. I wasn't aware of the "known issue," but I'll leave it as it is, rather than remove the cameras, I think.

What a stressful update that was, but - overall - I'm still glad I did it! :)

Ray.