Which would you choose?

ScottyVrsless

Ok firstly- this is not for me. You have all already told me to be sensiable so I'm currently safe.

However one of my firends is looking at the following cars

A Golf V6 4 Motion or a Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso Selespeed.

Both cars are within his budget of 4k, both sem to have reasonable milage and are between 8 and 9 years old.

Which would you choose?

Both nice cars think the Alfa has it on looks but I'd have the Golf. Think that overall it would be the better car to own, discreet, powerful and have the extra traction from the 4wd.

Depends what his priorities are when buying a car.

The Alfa is a far better drive, more fun and more involving and the 2.0l is a great engine that loves to be revved. If it's been well looked after, it should be reasonably reliable, although I have heard of lots of problems with the Selespeed but I don't know if that's just forum-syndrome. I've only driven a manual though so can't comment directly.

The Golf is probably not going to fall apart (although knowing VAG I might be wrong :rofl:) but the one I drove was fairly dull to drive and thirsty and also had a horrible hard ride.

Drive both and see which one he likes best :D

Chris

Thats what ive suggested

The Selespeed system is not that bad- just needs to be looked after. Thats the only thing with the Alfa they have to be looked after like a very expensive and posh GF, give them the world and they will give you the best times of your life. Don't and you'll soon be looking at the wrong end of a huge bill.

The golf i guess is the 'safe' option. reliable etc etc etc. He;s going to use it like i would use basically. Driving to work everyday, and for driving pleasuer/ maybe long trips out around the country

I have heard of lots of problems with the Selespeed but I don't know if that's just forum-syndrome.

It's not. The Sillyspeed is well known for being troublesome and fragile, even amongst Alfa enthusiasts, who lets face it, probably have low thresholds for what is accetable reliability.

OP: The Golf. If they *have* to have an Alfa, then get the manual one, and AA cover. The V6 4M isn't as quick as you might hope, and a bit thirsty, but it's V6 and 4WD after all

I know of one guy who is a big alfa fan. He bought a selespeed as he had a knee problem, but made sure to get a warranty on it because of the poor reliability of selespeed.