Should my radiator rattle about on its mounts?

JimF

Hi having recently replaced front arb bushes and drop links on my mk1 octy vrs i am very happy with the difference HOWEVER, i still have an intermittant sqeak when closing driver's door, so being aware of the problems with rad mounts on these cars i checked mine today to find it moves about and rattles rather a lot when i grab hold of it and try to move it.

Is this a sign of the dreaded rad mounts going south or is it normal?

Cheers Jim:thumbup:

Don't worry about it, the rads not going anywhere anyway. I changed all 4 mounts last year, and it was a right pain in the hands!

The top mounts don't really wear, as they are keyed and there is no rubbing like the lowers, which are just plain oblong section pegs in longer oblong holes. So if you do change them, I'd just do the lowers. Only a few quid, but you might swear quite alot getting them in and out! Try slackening off the screws holding them, and twist the mounts. Might tighten up a bit.

Just grease the pegs to stop them squeaking!

Sorry to hijack, but is the rad supposed to have a fair amount of travel?

You can grab it by the fan frame and rock it backwards and forwards in it's mounting, but it doesn't make any weird noises or anything.

My old toledo had the same thing.

Sorry to hijack, but is the rad supposed to have a fair amount of travel?

You can grab it by the fan frame and rock it backwards and forwards in it's mounting, but it doesn't make any weird noises or anything.

My old toledo had the same thing.

Yes basically this is what i'm talking about. It doesn't make a noise but there is play in the mounts somewhere.

The only noise i have is a slight sqeak when i shut the door. This could still be the arb mounts i suppose even tho they are new. The arb itself did show some signs of corrosion.

Jim

Well even after changing my mounts, I still had a bit of movement in the radiator, so don't think it really matters if it moves. I wonder if it moves less when the engine is hot....

If it's started squeaking then I guess it's worn through the plastic to the rubber in the mounts. Replace them if you want to, but I can't see it causing any other major problems.