Uneven tyre wear

jlo

Hi All,

Skoda 1.9TDI 3 with uniroyal tyres fitted. Just nr 14K miles from last set of tyres and near side (passenger side) tyre is worn bald on very outside of tyre where as there is nr 3 mm on rest of tyre. Drivers side is wearing a bit on the outside but has visible tread and again across rest of tyre is 3mm.

Skoda dealership say they do wear on the NS side as heavy car and the way you go around rounderboats.

Any other users out there suffer with the same problem or do you get even wear on tyre.

I took the car to Kwik Fit for tracking check and they said its perfect?

Any ideas.

Cheers

Jlo

Good morning Jlo!

I too have the 1.9tdi with Bridgestones all round. The wear on the front appears to be even after 16800. Tried to measure the tread depth but can't find the little thingy in the garage. That said, the tread is about one millimetre above the wear indicator.

I would like to know from your Skoda garage how they can claim that the wear is due to the way you go round roundabouts! Unless you are continually turning left, most roundabouts have an equal number of right turning opportunities-hence their being called roundabouts...

I have to be out later today so I shall try turning left all day and see where that gets me!

As a 'bye the way' I have had a quick look on the forum because I thought I had seen some postings regarding tyre choice/wear rate and value for money. Can't find it off hand but you might do a further search before investing in a new set of treads.

regards

Thanks for your help.

Will keep an eye out for anyone else suffering the same problem or maybe its another visit to dealer to ask them to check the wheel that there is not a suspension fault or somthing like that.

Best wishes

Jlo

Underinflated tyes will cause wear on the shoulders of the tyre. Tyres should be checked when cold with a good quality tyre pressure gauge. Do not rely on the gauges on garage forcourts.

It's worth checking your tyre pressures carefully as slight underinflation and driving style could cause the symptoms you describe.

Take it somewhere else for tracking - sounds like thecamber or toe is out to me,

If you drive enthusiastically around roundabouts you might see a difference from side to side.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had mine serviced and this very issue came up although I'm not too annoyed as they are still the original tyres at 20,000 miles.

It's fitted with Bridgestone's and the dealer said something about it being due to the construction of the tyre where the shoulders start with less tread in the first place.

Regarding tyres, can anyone recommend a good tyre with low road noise? I have a Scout on 16in wheels and find the road noise a little loud on rough surfaces.

Thanks for your help.

Will keep an eye out for anyone else suffering the same problem or maybe its another visit to dealer to ask them to check the wheel that there is not a suspension fault or somthing like that.

Best wishes

Jlo

have 07 with 24000 on clock have replaced front tyres the problem is rear front suspension bushes worn would anyone no if u can replace just bushes or need new arm farther in law going to do work for me

have 07 with 24000 on clock have replaced front tyres the problem is rear front suspension bushes worn would anyone no if u can replace just bushes or need new arm farther in law going to do work for me

Yeah you should be able to replace the front arm bushes reasonably easily

• 1 month later...

when i had my tyres checked they said it's probably due to the weight as the gearbox is on the left hand side even though i'm the only one in the car most journeys.

Hmm.... yes, but the engine is over to the right. Gearboxes are usually lighter than an engine (though DSG is heavier).

when i had my tyres checked they said it's probably due to the weight as the gearbox is on the left hand side even though i'm the only one in the car most journeys.

That has to be one of the worst fobs ever

If that was the case, they would all be like it. Swap your wheels round and see how you get on,

i've changed two new front tyres now.

it's not worse than being told it's because uk roads are left hand drive therefore the more roundabouts you drive on the left tyre will wear quicker because it has to travel more when driving on roundabouts.

• 2 months later...

Mine is the same. Just had the 40K service. Replaced the front 2 tyres in October 08, back ones are originals. NS rear has worn bare at the very outside edge. Rest of tyre has 3 - 5 mm. RHS tyre is 4 - 5. Getting two new ones tomorrow. Tyres correctly inflated before you ask!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding tyres, can anyone recommend a good tyre with low road noise? I have a Scout on 16in wheels and find the road noise a little loud on rough surfaces.

To answer my own question, front tyres have just been replaced at 24,000 miles and tracking adjusted.

I replaced the factory fitted Bridgestone's with Pirelli P-Zero Neros and the road noise seems much better and ride a little better too. Wonder whether the Pirellis are of a slightly softer construction?