Driveshafts problems on my Octavia vRS I

Yaro

Hi,

I have been having this annoying steering wheel shakes at high speeds (90mph -110mph)

I did check cv jonts, did wheel balance 4 times, did a car alignment. All is OK but the shakes are still there. I went to Skoda and they said that the problem is with driveshafts. They have wights and apparently they might be out of balance. The cost for parts and labour is £700 errrrrrrrr. Did anyone of you experience such a problem? It is a lot of my and my worry is if it cures my issue. Also is it worth replacing steering rack bush for super pro one?

Thank for helping

Yaro

Have Skoda actually confirmed it is driveshafts or is that their assumption? It could also be warped discs that may not be noticable until a a certain speed is reached. Driveshafts are not hugely expensive so Skoda would be charging a lot of labour for that work. I would go to an independant garage and get it checked. Also you might be able get the driveshaft balanced as they are weighted. This would be a much cheaper option to you. It is the same principal as balancing a wheel.

Never heard of driveshafts being a issue like this though.

I did not hit anything recently and I do not recall hitting anything... Skoda said that there come across a thread on Briskoda. Someone was having the same and it happened to a drivershaft/s problem/s. They also added that the driveshafts can not be re-balanced. They have to be replaced. Driveshaft costs £224 + VAT. The thing about the discs is possible. How is it possible then that I get shakes on the steering wheel if I do push the brake on, assuming that brake discs are at fault.... Although I must admitt that when I push the brake on at hih speed the steering wheel shakes a bit anyway...if I am tapping everything is fine. If the brake discs are the issue it would be a second set within about 5months.....

The thing about the discs is possible. How is it possible then that I get shakes on the steering wheel if I do push the brake on, assuming that brake discs are at fault.... Although I must admitt that when I push the brake on at hih speed the steering wheel shakes a bit anyway...if I am tapping everything is fine. If the brake discs are the issue it would be a second set within about 5months.....

You will get shakes on the steering wheel because the discs (if warped) will be rubbing on the pads. Each time the warped part comes into contact with the pad it will force the wheel to shake and then send this through the steering and up the steering column to the steering wheel.

When you changed the disc's, what did you buy, a standard OEM set or a cheaper none Skoda OEM set? This could be your problem as it is common for VW/Skoda none OEM discs to warp. Also need to make sure that the mating surfaces on the hubs are clean and free of dirt when fitting discs as this can also cause unbalance. This is just all theory, but sounds like the symptoms you have. Just because Skoda heard of driveshafts being a problem on Briskoda does not means your car has driveshaft problems. Very surprised that Skoda would state that with actually checking the car first. Hope you get it sorted

Edited by Bowders1

A quick tip

Get out on a (very)quiet road and boot it up too high speed, then jump on the brakes as hard as you can without locking(abs) them. Do this about 5 times or until they smoke/stink then drive easy too them. Don't use the handbrake (leave in gear) for parking for an hour or so as they could bind.

Theres a school of thought that says discs don't warp, they just get dirty or something.

Theres a thread somewhere that makes it sound more feasible than I do :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I spoken to Jabba Sports today they said it should not be a driveshafts problem. Also had a word with Red Dot Racing who rule out driveshafts problem. Jabba suggests to skimming brake discs. Red Dot blowing holes on the brake discs (drilled ones) and skimming as well.

Sounds sensible.

• 2 weeks later...

My Octy is having the same problem although I notice the shake more cruising at around 35mph and when accelerating, thought was the driveshafts on mine - my discs are getting low and the Conti tyres are low (heard they can go out of shape after 20k miles) so getting tyres fitted later, then see if the discs have too much lip to pass the MOT next month so could be replacing those too. Didn't seem to be play in the CV

Z