Fabia II - Now with a RNS 510 Columbus!

Miniepo

Finanly after a few months of research - I found out, how to instal a Colubus in my Fabia II..

List of what to use:

Canbus simulator 1.6 to 2.0

RNS 510

GPS antene

TV-free

high/low converter for mig amplifier

Everything i needed to this project, is bought by Cartrends.dk Alufælge - Chiptuning - Autostereo Your VAG-pusher :D

1098789_l.jpg

1098791_l.jpg

1098792_l.jpg

There is only one thing, when I turn of the car, the screen goes black, and the sound desaperes, but i can still hear the processor running, so the unit isn't on standby, but just sleeping.. when I turn the power on, it will start after af few seconds, no starting up skoda sign.. I will try to find out what to do.. but the same problem is on a vw Passat, and on those the update the cars can gateway.. Maybe thats the only way out to, so it will go on standby..

I sucesfully installed an MFD 2 in mine, would love to upgrade to the MFD 3, only reason I never have is due to the fact the GPS has never worked due to the Fabia's lack of CAN, I assume this item: Canbus simulator 1.6 to 2.0 that you refer to resolves this? If it does I know what I want for xmas:thumbup:

My post is lost, will have to write it again.Installation is very easy, but the RNS will not work as it should work.Will write something to the subject again later.

To be honest, a Bolero unit (RCD510?) would probably do, as that would also appear to fit the Fabia's bay with no difficulty, as I believe there's no difference in size and shape between the RNS and the RCD510. Does the RNS310 as featured in the 2009 Polo present the same electronics compatibility issue, then?

I suspect it's more likely that most head units in the Octavia from now on will resemble that in the first picture in mannyo's post, as the aperture shape can be altered by using different dash bezels. I recall this being discussed over in the Octy II folder. Look at the shapes of the Columbus and the Amundsen units in the documentation on the Skoda website, and the dash trim around them.

• 3 weeks later...

Finanly after a few months of research - I found out, how to instal a Colubus in my Fabia II..

List of what to use:

Canbus simulator 1.6 to 2.0

RNS 510

GPS antene

TV-free

high/low converter for mig amplifier

Everything i needed to this project, is bought by Cartrends.dk Aluf欧e - Chiptuning - Autostereo Your VAG-pusher :D

1098789_l.jpg

1098791_l.jpg

1098792_l.jpg

What is total cost for conversion??

• 2 months later...

What is total cost for conversion??

Hi Miniepo,

I tried to do like you with my Fabia II 1.4 16V Comfort (French model equiped with Maxi dot) and I bought an CAN converter 1.6 to 2.0 (directly equiped with Free-TV) and a Columbus (3T0) previously installed in an Octavia.

However... It does'nt work :S : It's simply not seen by other modules (Gateway, Instruments, telephone).

Did you do something in particular to register the MFD3 in your car or just plug and play?

Moreover, is your GPS correctly working with voice guidance or not?

Thank you for the benefit of your wisdom. :)

Cepadjedje

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Miniepo,

I tried to do like you with my Fabia II 1.4 16V Comfort (French model equiped with Maxi dot) and I bought an CAN converter 1.6 to 2.0 (directly equiped with Free-TV) and a Columbus (3T0) previously installed in an Octavia.

However... It does'nt work :S : It's simply not seen by other modules (Gateway, Instruments, telephone).

Did you do something in particular to register the MFD3 in your car or just plug and play?

Moreover, is your GPS correctly working with voice guidance or not?

Thank you for the benefit of your wisdom. :)

Cepadjedje

My RNS is not working correctly at the moment.. The first can adaptor I got, didn't work. I got a new one, but haven't installed it yet. There is a specifik adaptor (without tv free) for skoda.. You will find it on www.kufatec.de :smirk:http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1384_CAN-Bus-Interface-Skoda-CAN-TP-1-6.html

• 1 month later...

My RNS is not working correctly at the moment.. The first can adaptor I got, didn't work. I got a new one, but haven't installed it yet. There is a specifik adaptor (without tv free) for skoda.. You will find it on www.kufatec.de :smirk:http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1384_CAN-Bus-Interface-Skoda-CAN-TP-1-6.html

Hi Miniepo,

I tried the interface of your link. It seems to be a Skoda part referenced 5J0 035 751.Well... It's better. Now I have the complete display info on my Maxi DOT screen (audio data (MP3 tags, radio name,...), GPS guidance arrows, etc...). The RNS510 starts and stops with the ignition key and buttons are illuminated when I switch on my lights.

However, audio guidance with the GPS is still missing and none of my steering wheel buttons is working.

Kufatec says that this interface emulates only ignition, light and speed data. I have some doubt with the last point as the problem with audio guidance seems to be linked with a lack of speed info.

I even don't remember if the "Dance" radio installed by default and that is supposed to have the GALA feature, really increases the audio volume when I speed-up.

I will check it. If it does not, perhaps the speed signal is simply NOT present in the CAN bus signal of our Fabia.

Regards.

• 2 months later...

Hi Miniepo,

I tried the interface of your link. It seems to be a Skoda part referenced 5J0 035 751.Well... It's better. Now I have the complete display info on my Maxi DOT screen (audio data (MP3 tags, radio name,...), GPS guidance arrows, etc...). The RNS510 starts and stops with the ignition key and buttons are illuminated when I switch on my lights.

However, audio guidance with the GPS is still missing and none of my steering wheel buttons is working.

Kufatec says that this interface emulates only ignition, light and speed data. I have some doubt with the last point as the problem with audio guidance seems to be linked with a lack of speed info.

I even don't remember if the "Dance" radio installed by default and that is supposed to have the GALA feature, really increases the audio volume when I speed-up.

I will check it. If it does not, perhaps the speed signal is simply NOT present in the CAN bus signal of our Fabia.

Regards.

does it work ok now???????????????????????

Hi Miniepo,

Regards.

does it work ok now???????????????????????

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...