De-Carbon your engine...

Disco_Mikey

Just had some 'advice' about how to de-carbon an engine :rolleyes:

It's a simple enough process and there's plenty on the web about it. In short, you need to find the vacuum line, that draws air into the intake manifold. It can be easy at times to use the pipe that generates the vacuum for the brake master cylinder - but just make sure you use the end that sucks in air when the engine is running. Having identified that hose, very VERY slowly pour in a can of BG44K or another trusted additive. Just make sure it's for petrol cars and is petroleum based. Get someone to raise the rpm to about 4-5000 whilst you're doing this. It will decarbon the head and valves to a degree. Many use water in this way to steam clean the head. If you've ever seen a head that's suffered a head gasket failure you'll know what I mean when I say that the effect is incredible. The engine looks new.

No thanks

Edited by Disco_Mikey

Another snake oil special :rofl: Properly serviced and with modern fuels, a decoke is a thing of the past, until you have done crazy miles. Even my old Morris 1000 Traveller has done 30,000 miles since the head was last off for valve work, and it's still pretty clean on top of the piston crowns.

Another snake oil special :rofl: Properly serviced and with modern fuels, a decoke is a thing of the past, until you have done crazy miles. Even my old Morris 1000 Traveller has done 30,000 miles since the head was last off for valve work, and it's still pretty clean on top of the piston crowns.

I don't know I've seen a few GDI (Petrol) engines that really suffered from it at low miles and had to be de-coked. I think a lot of the EGR stuff is causing issues too :(