2.8 petrol

jollyjohn

Good morning all.

My '03 2.8 auto has started to occasionally run rough around 1750rpm on pulling gently.

I thought at first it was the road surface - juddering sensation - but then realised it was

mechanical. Not all the time and seems worse after a period of gentle running.

Any ideas please and how can I check things out myself?

Thanks in advance..

JJ

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for suggestions - just managed to see them! Mileage 43,000 new front discs and pads and newish tyres. Engine management light came on - garage checked and said 'unregistered fault' or something like that and reset it. Still not right. What puzzles me is it is fine if I give it some welly. Is there any way of checking a coil pk? Best regards, John

• 2 weeks later...

At last - fault shown up. Interrmitent over rich fueling on one bank..........

Booked in next wed for detailed lokksee.

John

Oh dear - nothing wrong they said. all perfect. still get a misfire at low revs light throttle. They agreed something was amiss but what am I meant to check now?????

Coils are in a row of 3? at front of engine. Shall i try a hammer........

:wonder: :wonder:

John

• 1 month later...

Oh dear - nothing wrong they said. all perfect. still get a misfire at low revs light throttle. They agreed something was amiss but what am I meant to check now?????

Coils are in a row of 3? at front of engine. Shall i try a hammer........

:wonder: :wonder:

John

Hi John - I'm looking at these models at the moment, did you manage to get this resolved and what type of costs were you looking at?

Cheers!

Sounds like it might be a coil pack....

I think that these cars will still have the good old double-ended coil assembly, in this case a twin double-ended coil and a single double ended coil - so that means that they will have HT leads as the weak point - or duff plug.

I think that these cars will still have the good old double-ended coil assembly, in this case a twin double-ended coil and a single double ended coil - so that means that they will have HT leads as the weak point - or duff plug.

So his problem was likely to have been... cheap?